Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Let the search for our six-strong team begin...

21 to 40 of 3,099 messages
05/11/2009 at 18:41

If this doesnt motivate you...what will??!!  Im putting in an application

05/11/2009 at 18:54
Ive entered
I might be doing a race I said I would never ever do again but I blame Flora
and Richard Branson is a mate so you know
05/11/2009 at 20:03
Yep, I'll throw my hat in this ring too. I intend to be far more hardcore in this year's training than I was the first time round, and some official help would be extremely motivational and make for great content for my training videos
05/11/2009 at 20:45
I've put in my application in too, this is such a fantastic opportunity!
05/11/2009 at 21:25

oh I would love to but would get shouted at because I would have to try and hide my cross training "bit" (cough) 

shall I shant I .........

M...eldy    pirate
05/11/2009 at 21:35
I was going to declare my interest this year but sadly the first compulsory date I shall be getting lost in Wales
05/11/2009 at 21:44

I'm in!

Would really really love to be chosen as I was gutted to be rejected and am more than happy to bear my soul at regular intervals. Opportunity of a lifetime

05/11/2009 at 21:45

Sent my application off

Even if I don't get picked hopefully I can live the training vicariously through whoever does.  Much less effort I think!

Do you know if the entrants will share much of the training tips on the forum or a dedicated page?  It would be good to see how much work the professionals line them up with and I wasn't around this time last year to see the previous lot.

05/11/2009 at 21:59

I cant wait to enter, am really excited about the marathon this year, intrested to see how Virgin sponsoring the marathon will change things.

06/11/2009 at 00:38
Clarification for all concerned please.. does 'registered member' of RW.co.uk etc mean existing members (with some history on the forums) or anyone who registers now so as to, opportunistically as it were, enter the competition??
06/11/2009 at 01:04

I've entered too, it would be fantastic to be trained by athletes of that calibre.

I met Paul in 2007 at an England Athletics training day in Essex, very motivating human being, it was a tough training session but he made it fun at the same time! I remember he had us run out around the edge of a sports field at a good pace, when the whistle sounded we had to sprint in the opposite direction to get back to the start faster than the run out. I'm shure he was taking a few seconds off with each effort back though!!

Good luck to all!

06/11/2009 at 05:21

Me too. I'd love to strike a blow for us oldies by doing this.

I found reading last year's blogs inspirational and would love to be able to do that for others. The interaction must be pretty motivational for the participants and the people reading them.

It would also be amazing to meet Liz, Steve and Paul. Liz Yelling was at a Richmond Parkrun that I took part in but I never got a chance to speak to her. She seemed so modest and friendly though.

06/11/2009 at 07:43
I ran the London Marathon this year, and followed one of the Runners World schedules for about ten weeks. I stopped following the schedule as I started to pick up overtraining type injuries, but managed to get over them in time to line up for the race. I was interested to see you were recruiting for the Lucozade super six again, an article that I followed with interest last year, but noted that you have so far failed to point out that, inspite of all the expert training and advice, only two of the six were fit enough to race and of those only the one with the least punishing schedule finnished. All done with good intentions I know, but I think you should place greater emphasis on runners being individuals and not fitting generic schedules designed for professionals not us mere mortals. Sorry rant over... good luck everyone!
06/11/2009 at 09:23
I put my entry in - am running london for 4th time and feel like i never really achieved  what i want - perhaps this will help,  I'm no record breaker!  i think i forgot to put my forum name on it though?!?! Fingers crossed though!!!
06/11/2009 at 09:59
Brilliant opportunity.  Have submitted my entry....  Have not been lucky on the ballot 5 times now, but for the first time, was actually disappointed this year.  Fingers crossed.
06/11/2009 at 10:15

I have applied - you have to apply to stand a chance and the best of luck to anyone else applying.

I look forward to reading about those who are successful.

06/11/2009 at 10:24

have applied. the threads were all inspirational last year and I will follow the 4h30 one this year whether I'm writing it or not!

(Liam FYI 3 of the 6 started this year.  think this rant has been done elsewhere already... and the 4h30 schedule was definitely tailored for the individual who ran it. )

06/11/2009 at 10:41
Wardi wrote (see)
Clarification for all concerned please.. does 'registered member' of RW.co.uk etc mean existing members (with some history on the forums) or anyone who registers now so as to, opportunistically as it were, enter the competition??

A very good point I was thinking the same. I have been a runnersworld member for a while now but never posted on the forum really before. And in regards to the member who didnt put there name on entry form, I dont think this matters to much because, like myself not everyone has a forum nickname.

Good luck all

06/11/2009 at 12:34

Thanks to everyone who has submitted an application form so far. In terms of being a registered member, we just need you to have a site profile from the off. As in previous years, we're welcoming submissions from both regular forum users and those who are new to posting (but have lots to contribute...).

Hope that helps and good luck!

Catherine

06/11/2009 at 13:11

Catherine,

When are you likely to be notifying those who are successful and those who were less lucky?

I am sure it said on the e-mail but I seem to have missed it.

Thank you.

Graeme

21 to 40 of 3,099 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.