Calling all Virgin London Marathon 2010 hopefuls

Let the search for our six-strong team begin...

121 to 140 of 3,099 messages
08/11/2009 at 18:32

Its been said before (lots), but what a great opportunity, so I've entered.  Mind you, I never win anything in competitions so I'm not holding out much hope! Good luck everybody.

08/11/2009 at 18:36

Sore Toes

well if u don't enter, you certainly won't win !!

08/11/2009 at 18:52
micknphil-marathonlads.com wrote (see
)

Sore Toes

well if u don't enter, you certainly won't win !!

In total agreement Mick - have to think postive .  Although the only time I ever actually won anything was in a tombola years ago.  The ticket I picked entitled me to a bottle of gin but the gentleman looked at my 8 year old self and wouldn't pay up.  He wouldn't even give me the chocolates on the table as a replacement prize .  Bitter, moi?  My mother was bitter at the time too - nothing to do with me being upset, she just loves a nice G&T

Good luck all - I'll be following whoever wins and piggybacking off the tips you may choose to pass on
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/11/2009 at 18:56

liverbird is so right

non runners AKA normal people just don't get running. My hubby most certainly doesn't he just thinks I run so I don't have time to do stuff round the house. oK so he has a point but I still need to do both the house stuff and the running!

The forumites understand as they run. I know that last year when I did flm the thought of a forum hug (and sweet!) at m17 kept me going. I felt aweful but left that support point feeling happy as larry and positive again thanks to their support

08/11/2009 at 18:57
Here here mick- you've gotta be in it to win as they say! Going to enter and if not i'll be pinching tips like you runningsnail!
08/11/2009 at 18:58
its easier in our house Mrs Gb runs so does junior and no.1 daughter also runs abit to keep fit
The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/11/2009 at 19:02
gnome (12) does the occasional fun run but doesn't run between events so moans he gets no better!
08/11/2009 at 19:07

junior is a natural athlete hes good at everything (going to have to speak to the milkman) did a 5k in the summer no training 18 minutes

I nearly evicted him

The Evil Pixie    pirate
08/11/2009 at 19:18

you should have

mine is the complete oposite! I may be a slow runner but hoped that seeing me run would at least inspire him to get out but nope

08/11/2009 at 19:22

Pixie does he do any sport >?maybe you havent found the right one

we tried lots with Junior footie rugby tennis he hated them all, took him to Thai Boxing as a last resort

he turned into Bruce lee overnight now hes got the body of Greek God from all the training

Im really thinking he should get the boot

seren nos    pirate
08/11/2009 at 19:32

2 of my boys play hockey.....I had never thought of it as a boys sport but they love it.middle one runs as well ..much faster than me but not a natural.will always have to work at it........

after I started running I got my OH  into running but I won't let him enter this comp as its on my birthday not his so I would be gutted if he won it and I didn't

08/11/2009 at 19:49
It's great to be able to share the sport you love with the people you love.  I cherish the days I can run with BR, although I have to say even when he slows it down and he certainly has to I'm still puffing like a billy goat
08/11/2009 at 20:24

Captain - that's very kind, thank you. I reckon I was only doing in public what most of us do in private (so to speak.....)

Liverbird - No offence taken, promise! And you give me more credit than I deserve because although I had a fantastic build up to FLM and knocked spots off all my pb's I ran my worse marathon time of the three I had then done at 3.36!!! Most of us forumites (old and new) use the forum in exactly the right way, we debate and sometimes we disagree but the huge majority are never personal or offensive and that's just great.

Also, running is such an inclusive sport there is room for people who wish to run 3 times a week and those who wish to run 3 times a day

Edited: 08/11/2009 at 20:24
08/11/2009 at 21:51

Oh well there goes the entry, now all I have to do is wait - maybe I should have changed my forum name first!

08/11/2009 at 22:00
Sue C - are you aiming for sub 3:15 still and do you intend to follow the same schedule that you did this year?
09/11/2009 at 01:08

Sent of my application! Fingers crossed.

Still somewhat of a running newbie, just done my first 1/2 Marathon, would be ace to get upto Marathon pace for next year!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
09/11/2009 at 06:52

GB - strange you should say that. We went to the gym yesterday and he was shown how to use the boxing pads and had a massive grin on his face!

sat in kit, yawning.  someone remind me why we run again?

09/11/2009 at 07:38

It is right to say how so called "normal" people do not get running.

I like the South downs marathon, 3 years ago i pulled a calf at 3 miles, walking at 6, crying at 8. When i eventually finished my wife congratulated me by saying "look at the state of you". She said "why didn't you  just pull out". I promptly explained that if you finish you only hurt for a few hours, if you pull out you hurt forever. She thinks i am a nutter.

My wife also thought that after that experience i would not do another marathon, normal just do not understand do they?

09/11/2009 at 08:28
It will be my first ever London Marathon, so my application is in. Could be my one and only chance to run a marathon to the best of my ability, so it's got to be worth a shot. Best wishes to everyone who has applied.
09/11/2009 at 09:23
My application went in on page 1 of this thread, and reading through the whole thread it seems like the running could be easier than maintaining the right appearance on here!  But its still too good an opportunity to not have a go at.  I won a training day last year from this site with the Super 6 and Liz Yelling et al and it seemed even then they were benefitting from the professional mentoring, and the team spirit they had built up between the 6 of them.  Good luck to everybody entering, well 5 of you anyway!!
121 to 140 of 3,099 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.