Club or Charity Vest?

19 messages
30/03/2004 at 21:31
Having entered as a Club Runner i.e. affiliated and paid less to enter. Does this mean you have got to wear your club vest ?
Surely unless you are in the top 100 whos going to check!
Comments please.
30/03/2004 at 21:53
Only the top runners are obliged to wear their club vests as far as I know. I prefer to wear my club vest, but the decision is yours. Check the quality of the charity vest, some of them have been described as having the texture of baling twine. You are the one running, your comfort is the most important thing.
31/03/2004 at 08:49
I'm wearing my club vest but am adapting the back slightly so that it has the charity I am raising money for on it...

Most importantly though, don't forget to put your name on as you get alot more shouts that way!!!
31/03/2004 at 08:55
Thought the rules were, if you claim the reduced entry as an affiliated runner, you are supposed to wear your club vest. But as you say who the heck is going to notice
31/03/2004 at 08:59
I'm wearing my charity vest as it is a bright colour and will stand out more ! It is also proper performance material. Feel a bit guilty about not wearing my club vest but there ya go !
31/03/2004 at 09:55
Club vest for me as well....it's good quality, except the first time I ran in it was a couple of weeks ago in the strong winds and had scabs for nips for a few days.

Thankfully healed now, and tried the vest again in more pleasant conditions with no trouble....
31/03/2004 at 10:03
I will be wearing my Club Vest but I will also be representing a Charity so I include my Charity on the back of my Vest and I will have my name on the front of my vest so that I can get a few shouts from the crowd
31/03/2004 at 10:33
I don't think the rules state what vest or kit you wear...the elite/AAA have to be careful about the size of manufacturers logos etc (advertising) but otherwise anything goes.

I do think the ones in charity vests get better/extra support from the spectators...
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
31/03/2004 at 11:05
Right the rules covering entry and club vests are as follows guys.....

When you join a club a percentage of the money is paid into the athletics funds which is why you are given a rebate on entry fees......

secondly it is your club rule to wear your vests as you entered as a club member, there is nothing to say you cannot wear your charity vest in the club rules. As most clubs raise money for charity anyway, mine does a different one every year. And its been known for committee members to wear fancy dress.....

So fear not on the charity vest debate ...Wear it with pride :)))))))

Oh and if your club committee dont agree with your decision, Join another club cos they are just being picky.........
31/03/2004 at 13:27
B@gger rules. How did you get your entry ?

I've got a club place, but have helped my wife raise money for her charity place and the charity has sent both of us vests.

It really seems fair that as I'm running in a club place I should wear my club vest.

But my wife's running for a charity, so she should wear the charity's vest.

If either of us had a ballot place however, then I reckon we can run in whatever we like.
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
31/03/2004 at 13:31
Read my reply again before you spout off at me mate.

Im agreeing with you in both respects .....You can wear either .
31/03/2004 at 13:38
I have yet to see a club vest as hideous as the one worn by members of my running club, so, no, I will not be wearing it..
31/03/2004 at 13:45
I think that it does not really matter which vest you wear, I'm Going to be wearing my Charity's vest as it has really loud colours, if you know what I mean! Also if you have a charity vest what better way to show that your running for a good cause, wear that Vest with Pride !
31/03/2004 at 13:53
Sorry N(S)icko, not having a go at you !

Just saying o anyone running - b@gger rules, run in what you want : it's your marathon.
If you want to support a charity, run in their vest. If you want to run in your club vest, run in that.

It's hidden deep in my club's constitution that I must run in a club vest, but I've never known anyone on the committee ever say anything about it to any of our members running in a race in something other than club kit.
It'll matter in a XC or other inter-club event, but not a normal race.

So run in what you like.
But for me, as I'm running in a club place I really should wear my club vest; my wife's running in a charity place so should wear the charity's vest.
31/03/2004 at 13:58
I got a note from the organisers of an event, when they sent my number and map etc, saying if we had claimed the affiliated reduction we were supposed to run in club colours
31/03/2004 at 14:01
I have been thinking about this a lot too especially as I got a club place. I've decided not to as I've heard I will get people shouting my club name from the sidelines (to be honest that will more likely put me off!), also I've done all my long runs in my favourite gear, the marathon is more about my achievement than representing my club (even if I'm very fond of it!) and I just have the hunch that i would be under more pressure. Dunno really.
31/03/2004 at 17:40
Wearing club vest...
31/03/2004 at 17:44
I'm wearing my club vest too - but there is no compulsion to even in the AAA's individual champs. The only exception is in the TEAM championship races where club vests must be worn by all scoring members of the teams.
Nicko. Hdau    pirate
31/03/2004 at 18:08
True Mike B :)))))))

S,ok Andy W...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.