Cobbles & Red Wine - Sarah’s Paris Marathon Plan: Sub 3:35

Asics Target 26.2 - Previously lardy girl goes for a Boston Qualifier

281 to 300 of 1,491 messages
03/01/2013 at 22:51

Evening Tenjiso!

I missed your post earlier – sorry!

Alpkit Gamma for £15? Well that’s not too bad at all – thanks for the correction on that one! Where did you get it from? Can’t have too many decent headtorches … (Since taking up running I’ve changed this from handbags to headtorches

Ha ha! Definitely know what you mean about feeling you were on a treadmill! It’s odd isn’t it? And did you find that you don’t notice the hills so much in the dark? I definitely find hilly runs easier at night!

03/01/2013 at 23:11

Here you go:  Alpkit Gamma

It's the feeling of going nowhere that I found bizarre.  Good fun though.  I certainly noticed a few sounds that I hadn't noticed during daylight hours.  Heightened senses 

04/01/2013 at 00:05

Another excellent run and great description. sounds good run along the former rail track valley. Hopefully the knee discomfort is nothing serious.

Food intake looks ok though Ruth's obviously the expert. what about your fluid intake? 

mcs
04/01/2013 at 12:20

Get rid of that sugar on the cornflakes!!! What app do you use to track calories? I ate too much cake over the hols as although having Coeliac(gluten free diet required) my mother always makes us a huge cake!! Its nearly all gone though.
I am doing a 21 mile fell race locally in Derbyshire, the Grindleford Gallop as I was rejected by Asics on March 9th. Its run by a local school to raise school funds.  Tony Adenshaw from Emmerdale and Marathon Talk fame runs it most years. I am using one of RW Ultimate Marathon Schedules, probably written by Steve above just cutting the long run mileage down a touch as not going to 26 miles but probably in effort due to the hills the effort is going to be up there.
Sounds like its going well for you! Keep at it.

04/01/2013 at 18:21

I was thinking get rid of that fruit in your cheese!!

04/01/2013 at 19:09

Evening Tenjiso!

Thanks for that link … Sold out … Have bookmarked the page and will keep an eye out on eBay too!

Have you got any more night runs scheduled? I did the Skeleton Run in October which was a hill run in the dark … really good fun!

04/01/2013 at 19:09

Evening Steve Marathon Coach!

The twinge behind my knee was only when I stopped and it disappeared after I walked for a few minutes and it didn’t reappear after the dash down the hill but I’ll keep an eye on it – see if the twinge happens again.

Ah – thank you … fluid intake tracked today!

04/01/2013 at 19:10

Evening MCS!

I used to be so good a couple of years ago … but since I started running the treats have crept back into the healthy eating …! I’ll be off cornflakes and back on tuna or porridge when I’m back home next week. They’re my treat when I’m away from home!

I use Tap & Track to track exercise and food. I’ve got it as an app on my phone so no excuse to conveniently ‘forget’ things I’ve eaten. Can’t resist Christmas cake though … but still impressed you’ve nearly eaten all yours!

Wow! A 21 mile fell race! That’s going to be amazing and really tough!! Would love to see some pics when you’ve completed it!! Pop some on this thread – would be great to see them!

Yep! I’m enjoying the training and it’s lovely having it all written down for me … no chance for me to slack off and wonder why I didn’t hit my target! I’m tracking it all on the MyAsics app too so it’s nice to get a running total of the miles I’ve put towards the marathon training so far. I’m going to see whether I can put a weekly summary up with my mileage summary – might be interesting.

04/01/2013 at 19:10

Evening Xyloid!

Nooooo! That’s how you know it’s Christmas cheese!!

04/01/2013 at 20:57

Lol, "wrinkly apple"....can tell its been christmas

04/01/2013 at 20:59

Hi Steve marathon coach.....I was just wondering when it comes to a rest day/cross training day, would resistence/strength training be acceptable to do on that day?

I was also wondering if you recommend doing resistence/strength training prior to any of the runs or if you would actually advise against it ? many thanks

04/01/2013 at 22:10

Food Diary 4th January

Breakfast: Cornflakes, skimmed milk, 3 x teaspoon of sugar

Lunch:Tin of tuna & tablespoon of reduced fat mayonnaise, bowl of spinach & 40g blue cheese

Tea: (Homemade) Vegetables in cheese sauce (peas, sweetcorn, onion, broccoli, mange tout, runner beans), 5 chestnut mushrooms, 1 x farmhouse sausage.

Snacks: 1 slice of Christmas cake

Drinks: 4 x pints of orange squash, 5 x coffees (with small amount of semi-skimmed milk)

Exercise: 2 x 1hr walks (rest day)

04/01/2013 at 22:12

Evening Sarah - Yep! Also wrinkly oranges and shrivelled grapes ....

04/01/2013 at 23:51

You better have left some Christmas cake for me.... if youve eaten it all you'll be in BIG trouble 

05/01/2013 at 00:16

Sarah O.

On the key runs - speedwork and long runs, I would avoid strength training and resistance work and don't see a problem in doing them when you are doing easy runs or recovery runs or on your running rest days. Personally, I prefer doing the strength training after i've run when I am warmed up though they are good warm up exercises.

Presume you have seen Sam's picture guide: http://hikaridesign.com/other/running-specific-circuit-nov-2012.pdf

which I think are very good.  

05/01/2013 at 06:58
RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Thanks for that link … Sold out … Have bookmarked the page and will keep an eye out on eBay too!

I had the same problem last year.  For some reason, they seem to sell out in December/January   I learned my lesson and bought mine several months ago, before the short daylight hours arrived.  At least you already have a torch in the meantime.

I haven't got anything scheduled.  At the moment I'm getting by starting most of my runs at 7:30am, just as it starts getting lighter.  However, I can't do this all the time, so I need the torch for the earlier starts in the dark.  I've never considered running a night time race, but I see that more are beginning to appear.  That'll be something for the future.

05/01/2013 at 16:01

Thankyou ever so much Steve Marathon Coach for your help and advice.

Sarah....have you left and christmas cake for anyone else? Hope your park run went well today.

mcs
05/01/2013 at 21:11

Thanks Steve for Sams exercise link. Are you in a different country or do you not sleep??
I have a 21 mile fell race in 9 weeks and am following an Ultimate RW schedule and wondered how far my long runs should be? I thought of doing up to 16 miles approx. Hope you are keeping fit and are you planning to do the VLM again this year?

05/01/2013 at 22:39

Sleep occasionally.

re the long run - even though you are only doing a 21 fell race, I would aim to go at least 20 in training, but not necessarily on the fells but ideally off-road. Of course it depends on the volume of climbing but a 21 fell race could be as tough as a flat 26 mile on the road.

Reasonably fit thanks and no injuries at present but haven't really started mileage yet but hope to run long tomorrow. Did county cross-country today and probably slightly better form than for a few winters and no one older ahead!

06/01/2013 at 13:16

Food Diary 5th January

Breakfast: Cornflakes, skimmed milk, 3 x teaspoon of sugar

Lunch: Tuna, cheese and salad wrap.

Tea: (Party buffet!) 20g of stilton, 10g of brie, 2 x slice of mini quiche, 4 cherry tomatoes, 4 slices of cucumber, 1 x slice chorizo, 1 x slice ham, 1 x slice turkey, 4 tablespoons of chopped bell peppers, 1 x breaded chilli.

Snacks: 1 x banana, 1 x tablespoon pumpkin seeds & dried cranberries, 1 x apple.

Drinks: ½ bottle of diet coke, 3 x coffee with small amount of semi-skimmed milk, 3 large glasses of orange squash.

Exercise: 5 miles run, 1.5 hr walk.

I'm being really good as I'm logging my food at the moment but I suspect you'll find me face-down in a doner kebab any day now ...!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.