Cobbles & Red Wine - Sarah’s Paris Marathon Plan: Sub 3:35

Asics Target 26.2 - Previously lardy girl goes for a Boston Qualifier

21 to 40 of 1,491 messages
17/12/2012 at 21:41

Hi JingleBellsJen!

I agree! It was terribly tough day - especially carrying all that shopping home At least with the running part it's more familiar - I know I can run ok, it's the gurning in photos bit that's more difficult!

17/12/2012 at 21:45

Evening Reg!

Well done on making it through and not drowning in the waffle! Fab to hear from you! Loving the new username!!

17/12/2012 at 21:49

Evening Sarah Tinsel Toes!

Really great to hear from you! All sorted for Christmas? 

Steve wants me to go for a sub 3:30 time to give me more leeway for a Boston qualifier so that would be bang on your target time wouldn't it? I'll be posting the training plan on here and it would be fab to hear how you're getting on with it too!

17/12/2012 at 22:43

Wow! what a great report, good luck with your training over the coming months.

17/12/2012 at 22:56

Evening SC!

Thank you!! I got a bit carried away with my enthusiasm!! Had such a fab day and everyone was so nice. It was definitely a relief to find that the other 4 were really good guys. Think we'll all going to train hard over the next 4 months but I think it'll help knowing I've got really nice people training in parallel too!

17/12/2012 at 22:57

And... breathe!

Loving it - was a great day and seems like we've got a great team! Look forward to following your thread

17/12/2012 at 23:10

Evening Bacon Steve!

You mean I'm supposed to breathe AT THE SAME TIME as talking? But ... how do I get all the words in?

What is the magnetic glove thing all about? Don't you stick yourslef to things?

18/12/2012 at 08:18
RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Ooh Sticky!

Fingers crossed for ChaseThePlace with Parkrun! I think there were about 4000 people left in it last week with 3 weeks to go and that number will drop dramatically the last few weeks! How exciting if you got the place!! What did you think of Paris? Is it as flat as I've heard ...? (Crosses fingers in hope!!)

Morning RRR! Paris is flatish, some inclines through tunnels but nothing to shout about. The atmosphere was amazing, the crowd support really helps, you'll enjoy it!

I always thought when I grew up VLM was going to be my first, but getting in seems harder than running it. I'll have my fingers crossed every year until I get in! Still , couldn't have chosen a more romantic city to lose my marathon virginity .

18/12/2012 at 09:02

Hi RRR! Have been following your posts and really enjoying them... very pleased you have made it through and good luck with your training! Am a bit of a lurker but will definitely be following your thread

18/12/2012 at 09:55

Morning Sticky!

That's fantastic! Love that there'll be lots of support - I'll have my name on my top this time (I didn't at Liverpool) so it'll be fab to have people cheering me on! Flat is GOOD!

Ha ha! I bet Paris was an AMAZING first marathon!!  Have a vision of you toasting your medal witha  glass of red in a street cafe now!

18/12/2012 at 10:00

Morning Mamafox!

Fab to hear from you! Thank for you for the good luck wishes - I can't wait to get started on the training now! I got my plan yesterday evening and my first day was a rest day! I managed THAT session no problem!

It's going to be strange for me following a structured plan ... but it's going to be lovely too. Knowing that if I do all of the training and sessions, I'll achieve my goal time and come home with a medal AND a Boston Qualifier. It seems amazing!

18/12/2012 at 10:03

The plan I've been given by my coach Steve Smythe and based on the My Asics plan:

Training plan for a sub 3:35 marathon

Week 1:

Mon Dec 17th:               Rest

Tues Dec 18th:              4M in 9 min miles

Weds Dec 19th:            6M in 9:30 miles

Thurs Dec 20th:             4M with middle 2 miles at sub 8s

Fri Dec 21st:                  Rest

Sat Dec 22nd:                Brisk 25 mins or Parkrun 5km - 5M in total

Sun Dec 23rd:                7M slow in 9 min miles

Week total:                    26 miles

18/12/2012 at 10:07

Morning RRR - That looks quite a light week to start. How many miles and runs per week are you doing at the moment? How many miles does your plan get up to at the maximum?

Your intro and description of Sunday was amazing. I expect the same level of detail describing every run! Can't believe they hadn't stocked up especially on fluorescent pink stuff!

18/12/2012 at 10:08

Hi Sarah. Wow I'm sligthly jealous about all the kit! Will follow your progress with interest.

18/12/2012 at 11:14

Another great start to a training thread.  I see we have something very much in common with the weight loss.

Can you tell me what options you used when generating a training plan?  I'd like to compare the vanilla plan with Steve's changes.  I'm not surprised that he hasn't stuck to the four day limit.

Good luck with the journey!

18/12/2012 at 12:11

Love it! Sarah, you are obviously missing your calling as a journalist! (unless you already are one in which case )

18/12/2012 at 13:19

Hi Sarah or RRR

Having been stalking you on Twitter for the last week or so I thought I'd check out your thread here

Flipping heck that was a thorough write up of Sunday, no details left out there, I'm just wondering which client I should put on my timesheet for the time it took me to read through it all

Seriously I'm very envious, I didn't even make it to bootcamp let alone the final five. Like you I got back into running to lose weight, I've lost 2.5 stone in 2012 and am back to roughly the same weight as I was when I did the London Marathon in 2001.

If all of your write ups are going to be as thorough as Sunday's, and you show the same enthusiasm and dedication to training as you do with your posts, it's going to be an entertaining three months or so!

18/12/2012 at 14:13

Andrew - I was lucky enough to meet Sarah at bootcamp and have enjoyed lots of banter since. I think it will be quite a journey and more than a few laughs olong the way. Stick around!

Also, well done on the weight loss. The last time I did London was in 2001 as well. Are you planning a marathon in 2013?

18/12/2012 at 15:44

DSanta2 - yes there seems to be a lot of banter, I'm struggling to keep up with all the various threads. Maybe when the training really kicks in they will all have less time to post!

I haven't got a marathon planned in 2013. I had injury problems training for London in both 2001 & 2002, I made it to the start line in 2001 but not 2002 and have avoided one ever since. Having got reasonably fit again I entered the Asics 26.2 competition as I thought the professional advice and a structured training programme could get me to the start line injury free! I also fancied £500 worth of free gear

Have you got any marathon plans in 2013?

A.W
18/12/2012 at 16:01

Hi RRR, hows it going? how do you like the look of your first weeks training? How different is it to what you have been doing?

A.W
21 to 40 of 1,491 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.