Cobbles & Red Wine - Sarah’s Paris Marathon Plan: Sub 3:35

Asics Target 26.2 - Previously lardy girl goes for a Boston Qualifier

561 to 580 of 1,491 messages
24/01/2013 at 15:53

RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Food Diary 18th January

Breakfast: ½ cup porridge oats made with water with dash of milk, 3 teaspoons sugar.

Lunch: Bowl of spinach and 30g stilton.

Tea: 25g of white rice boiled and a portion of chilli shredded beef (Woo hoo - it’s takeaway night!!)

Snacks: 25g dried fruit, teaspoon of nutella, teaspoon of penut butter (nabbed while making my 3 year old a sandwich!), half a punnet of grapes, a babybel, a small packet of buttons, 2 x cookies.

Drinks: 4 x coffee with small amount of semi-skimmed milk, 4 pints of orange squash.

Exercise: 20 minute walk in the snow. 1.5 hours house cleaning. 7 mile run in the snow.

Was it this night that rice upset your tummy? It  could be chilly beef as takeaways may have gluten added as fillers, thickeners etc
sarah osborne wrote (see)

hi sarah...some more fabulous runs and photos to entertain and encourage us to get out there.

Is that what im doing wrong....do you reckon I should start telling my patients not to drink mulled wine anymore for the common cold?

Refreshing to see that you like tomato sauce with your steak and veg too. Im finding more and more people who use ketchup on meals that others regard as clashing with ketchup! I was shocked though when I realised how little you eat at lunch though. I thought I was bad (and am always starving by the time I leave work) but you have half the amount as me for lunch....how do you manage an evening run on just that...or do your snacks help to make it up?

I totally agree with Sarah on the lunch front ! I really don't know how you manage on this at lunch when doing all this running! The snacks will help for sure.

I will be meeting you on Saturday - really looking forward to it.

24/01/2013 at 17:12

hi RRR -  been a bit absent on here this past week or so but have been following.

As for the food thing - I'm amazed how little most of you are eating. I eat all day - literally! Little and often but all day!

My business partner (the world's unhealthiest bloke) says I'm constantly grazing!

I won't post my dietry intake - you'll have a fit.

24/01/2013 at 17:56

Hey RRR, looking good on the training. Like DS2, I too have been 'lurking' rather than posting but impressed at the runs your putting in with the weather

I don't have a problem with eating little at lunchtimes too- and I tend to do most of my runs in the morning without eating beforehand so I suspect Ruth would not be impressed! I did read about some americans training without food beforehand and getting better results, but suspect it is unlikely to be my excuse

24/01/2013 at 20:38

Evening Andy!

I have to admit, I stopped to take the snowy ones but only briefly as it was too cold! I actually took the pics with my nose as it was too cold to remove my gloves!!

Flat parts? In Yorkshire? Not sure you’re going to be finding many of those! Are you running in trail shoes or Yak Trax? I’ve found the Yak Trax absolutely fantastic – even on the roads.

Eeek! A circuit session on TREADMILLS? Sounds really tough!! Bet that made you work hard though! What a good idea! … but can you actually WALK today??!

24/01/2013 at 20:40

Evening Ruth!

Regarding the Chinese - it may well have been the chilli beef rather than the rice. Oh dear, I’m not sure … but it the chilli beef  DID taste amazing!

I tend to eat before I run when I get home. I used to run with a friend who was just starting running and she could run no later than 6:15pm so I used to get home about 5:40pm, get tea in the steamer and wolf it down at 6pm and be ready to run at 6.15pm. It took a while to get used to doing that but it’s pretty handy being able to eat on the run now!

It’ll be great to meet you on Saturday! Can’t believe it’s time for the 2nd bootcamp already!!

24/01/2013 at 20:41

Evening DS2!

I’m dying to know what you eat now … c’mon tell us all! You say you graze but is it all healthy snacks?

I tend to have a piece of fruit either side of lunch but I just sit down all day in the office unless my run is short enough to do in a lunch hour … so I’m burning no more than I would if I were to sit watching TV all day! I think if I started eating at work, I’d be eating all the time …!

P.s. Haven’t missed a training session yet …Hope you've put some money aside for those socks.

24/01/2013 at 20:41

Evening Clive!

It’s been a lot of fun running in the snow but I haven’t even tried to stick to the paces as I think I’d be constantly falling over … it’s really, really slippy! It’s so nice that the same boring old routes are completely different in the snow though – a whole new angle! Have you been out running in it?

A morning runner? Wow … I have real issues with getting out of the bed into the cold at this time of year …so lots and lots of respect for you! I‘ll probably do more morning runs in the summer when I can reclaim some of the nice canal paths and it’s a bit lighter but not in January! Do you prefer to run in the mornings?

24/01/2013 at 21:03

well done on getting the miles in in the snow. I agree pace is not important and safety is more important.

Of course treadmill sessions do count and they can actually be harder than running outside and certainly help the mental strength but it's not quite the same running to set a pace yourself outside or jumping on a treadmill which is going the pace you want it.

24/01/2013 at 22:55

Evening Steve Marathon Coach,

Agree - I find the treadmill sessions a lot harder as I feel like a hamster on a wheel ... running but going nowhere - much prefer to be outside if possible!

... I'm afraid was back on the treadmill again this evening but the Rugby track's still closed and the roads are still a bit dodgy.

24/01/2013 at 22:57

Food Diary 24th January

Breakfast: ½ cup porridge oats made with water with dash of milk, 2 teaspoons sugar.

Lunch: 35g peanuts & an apple (ran out of mayo for the tuna!)

Tea: 1 x kipper, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, 8 mushrooms, 1 x fresh beetroot, asparagus, long stemmed broccoli, sweet potato.

Snack: 3 x cookies, 8 x after eights (slapped wrist!).

Drinks: 4 x coffee with small amount of semi-skimmed milk, 3 pints of orange squash.

Exercise: 6.7 miles

Ruth – Had a sweet potato yesterday but forgot to add it into my food diary on here!

24/01/2013 at 23:07

Week 6, Day 4

Goal: 6 mile build up run – Starting at 8:30s moving to 7s

Actual: 6.7 miles total – Starting at 8:30s moving through 7s (well 6:54 min/mile but had to round it up to 14kmh on treadmill. Honest!)

Had an email this morning confirming that the Rugby track is still closed due to the amount of snow. It’s beautiful outside, but not really great conditions for a run over about 9 min/mile. But I’m sure I’ll appreciate the extra intensity the snow is providing when it makes the later sessions easier. But in the meantime, it looks like tonight’s build up session will be yet another run on the treadmill ...

It’s a build-up run so at least it will be more interesting than running the whole session at one speed, but 7 miles on a treadmill. Sigh.

I’m really enjoying the longer runs in the snow, but I don’t enjoy treadmill running  ... there are no distractions. I listen to an audiobook, but then my mind wanders and I start trying to remember what’s on the shopping list and why I need a square battery and before I know it I’ve missed 3 minutes of the audiobook and have absolutely no idea why Jim Smith the student mage is now a zombie with no nose. And then I remember I’m on the treadmill. And then it all starts again …

But … managed tonight’s 6 mile build up run:

1st mile at 11.4 kmh (8:28 min/mile)

2nd mile at 11.8 kmh (8:11 min/mile)

3rd mile at 12.4 kmh (7:47 min/mile)

4th mile at 12.8 kmh (7:33 min/mile)

5th mile at 13.3 kmh (7:16 min/mile)

6th mile at 14 kmh (6:54 min/mile)

Total: 6.7 miles including warm up/ cool down.

25/01/2013 at 00:20
'(well 6:54 min/mile but had to round it up to 14kmh on treadmill. Honest!) ' you sound as bad as me!

I cant believe that you can run more or less straight after eating....think i would be sick!
25/01/2013 at 11:23

RRR good running on the build up run. It's probably easier doing a session like this on the treadmill in terms of pace as you can control it and can't go too fast. On his session outside Alex, got far too fast doing the build up run,

mcs
25/01/2013 at 13:34

good running RRR. Not been on as just been made redundant yesterday......any jobs let me know anyone. Fit athletic type who can do anything.....

25/01/2013 at 14:49

Sorry to hear about your job mcs, I hope you find something else quickly.

Ruth, I was just wondering what do you thinks about fresh Vs frozen veg. Ive always read that fresh is better but more recently I have read that frozen is better as it locks all the nutrients in during the freezing process. The article went on to say that the nutrients are lost from fresh veg as it tends to sit around in supermarkets and peoples homes for prolonged periods before it is consummed?

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 14:50
25/01/2013 at 17:49

Afternoon Sarah!

Glad I’m not the only one ‘rounding up’ the numbers! It just seems neater that way!!

Ooh good question about the frozen veg! The broccoli, cauliflower and carrots I eat are all frozen ... that sounds wrong. Frozen before I cook them I mean Do you eat more fresh or frozen, Sarah?

25/01/2013 at 17:51

Afternoon Steve,

Thank you! It was easier to program the speeds in on the treadmill, but it was so boring! Much preferred the build up runs outside with the distractions! Much more interesting than the inside of my garage!

Did you ever find your wristband that disappeared in the snow?

25/01/2013 at 17:52

Afternoon MCS,

Really sorry to hear about the job – hopefully you’ll find a fantastic new one with more pay and longer holidays!

Have you had any more amazing snow runs? Loved your pics the other day!

25/01/2013 at 23:35
I tend to have fresh veg mainly but I do have some frozen veg in the house for emergencies when I've run out of the fresh stuff. I prefer the taste of the fresh veg the reason for getting it that way but I would be tempted to use more frozen veg if its better.

How's the snow where you are? It's coming down really heavy here and settling thick in places. Hope you get to boot camp tomorrow ok. Will be thinking about you.
mcs
26/01/2013 at 07:46
Tons of snow here. No running this am. Happy boot camp if you make it.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.