Cobbles & Red Wine - Sarah’s Paris Marathon Plan: Sub 3:35

Asics Target 26.2 - Previously lardy girl goes for a Boston Qualifier

621 to 640 of 1,491 messages
29/01/2013 at 23:05

Evening Andy!

Glad you enjoyed the description … it was probably better reading about it than living it! I did enjoy most of the run though and the route was really pretty … well the bits that weren’t submerged and didn’t have a river running through. I’m definitely going to run the route again when it’s a bit drier!

The most gutting part however wasn’t getting drenched… or falling into a ditch … or even running out of loo roll. It was the fact that because I got lost by 3 or 4 miles I didn’t even end up at the pub!!!! Argh!!!

29/01/2013 at 23:11

Week 7, Day 2

Goal: 4 x 2km in approx 8:30 – 9 minutes starting every 11 mins

Actual: Postponed

She's chickened out ...!!

Because of my fall – gracefully into the ditch full of water – on my long run on Sunday I’ve got a sore back today. I’m 99% positive I’ve only jarred it so I’ve got a trip to visit the doctor tomorrow but I don’t want to run while I’ve got shooting pains down my legs!

I’m pretty positive a day flat on my back tomorrow will bring me back to 100% but I don’t want to run while it’s achy and cause something worse due to me overcorrecting somewhere else or jarring it even more so I’m going to postpone tonight’s run and start again later in the week.

Besides … I’m sure a days rest will make me legs realise what they’re missing and I’ll be raring to go by Thursday!

30/01/2013 at 07:30

RRR

Amazing pictures and description of run! Back not so good, here's hoping nothing to serious. Can you speak to Physio Sarah just for osme advice?

I would think very likely cookies had gluten in them so be very wary before races that you avoid all things with gluten and wheat - all package foods by law should tell you if gluten free etc so look at labels.

I will also sum up what we discussed at weekend below. Remember these are my suggestions based on what you currently do etc  but this is your plan so comments please - good or bad!

30/01/2013 at 07:33

Hi RRR

Sorry for delay in posting weekend summary.

As we discussed at weekend your half marathon will be your dress rehearsal for Paris in terms of what you eat in the lead up to the race, on race morning and during race itself. It is also a useful time to practice how you will carry your gels, what kit you will wear and so forth.

You are happy to increase you carbs in the days leading up to Paris (2-3 days) however I suggested we do this for only one day before the half marathon to see how you find the volume of food and if you think the carb content is going to work for you and how stomach is etc   

Here is an example of how I see this looking:

Day before half marathon, especially careful to ensure no gluten or wheat in diet so check all labels etc. If feel really full at end of day suggest you go through with the below as best you can. Remember this is only a trial for one day (you can try before next long run if wish to do this before half). You may feel a little bloated in the evening but that should have vanished by morning.

• Breakfast: Large bowl of porridge with 3 sugars & large glass of fruit juice (up to a pint) and usual coffee.
  • Mid-morning- 500ml of fruit smoothie or low fat milkshake (sip over the whole morning if wish) and nibble on some jelly sweets should you fancy.
  • Lunch: 50g (dried weight) portion of rice salad with ½ tin of tuna & regular glass of full sugar squash, soft drink or fruit juice.
  • Mid-afternoon: 4 large rice cakes with banana and honey topping or 250g fruit salad with 200g of low fat plain yoghurt or large handful of jelly babies and glass of fruit juice.
  • Dinner: Large sweet potato and usual foods.  Sorbot as dessert. But protein can be reduced to a small amount.
  • Before bed: bowl of porridge and sugar

Morning of race:

• Porridge with usual sugar with 2 cups of coffee.
  • Between breakfast & race start: pint of water.

During race:

Every 3 miles: one high five energy gel. Each high five gel has 23g of carbohydrates (so if on average 2 per  50minutes  this equals over 50g per hour of carbs so I think this will work). Water little and often, more often if hot!

What are your thoughts?

Ruth

30/01/2013 at 08:14
Hi RRR, yes usually a lab as well- they must like being walked in fields more than other dogs I suppose... Curious about the 18+ as my plan has long runs increasing weekly like this: 15, 17, 18, 19 then when it gets to 20, the nxt week steps down to 12, then back upto 20 for a second time before the taper. I think those successive weeks at 17 -19 will. Be pretty hard, as 19 miles isn't really that much less than 20, but we'll see- doing a much better job of sticking to the plan than I had in the past- have run 95 miles so far this year today's 6 will make it 101, that being said I've got an awful headache, so hope I'm better this evening for the run- though sure running will probably make it go.

Ruth, I like the look of the pre half marathon carb loading day- usually I just go for pasta and porridge and bananas so the foods are distinctly one colour. Would you change much for those who aren't wheat intolerant?
30/01/2013 at 11:37

yes best to rest when things are going so well than risk causing other problems. You are well ahead of where you need to be at this stage and a few days off will not be a problem as long as you are fit and healthy

30/01/2013 at 16:36

Hi RRR

Hope the back is improving.

Did I read earlier that you're doing a half marathon before Silverstone?  Have you used energy gels before in either training or races? I've always relied on water & Lucozade Sport (other energy drinks are available) but am wondering if I'm missing a trick.

31/01/2013 at 10:01

Hi Sarah how's the back feeling this morning? hopefully better after a day's rest but you will start to feel very stiff from the fall so gentle painfree stretching is a good start and let me know what the physio has to say.

31/01/2013 at 11:58

Afternoon Ruth!

Glad you enjoyed the run description ... here’s hoping that Sunday’s long run will be a bit less challenging! I’m tempted to do the same route again to see what it’s like without the drama! (Although have just noticed they've forecast SNOW again!)

Like the idea of using the half as a testing ground for Paris. I’ll be really careful with checking labels before the run and will ensure there are no cookies in the house so I won’t be tempted!

It seems a huge amount of food in the diary, but I’ll stick to this as closely as possible. You realise I’m still going to have to try and squeeze into my lycra after eating all of that, right?

Just confirming – fruit juice with breakfast such as pure orange rather than the orange squash I usually have?

I trialled the rice cakes yesterday with Nutella and honey – yum! Could definitely add those in!

It all sounds good. Just checking - I can have more water, coffee etc than specified on the plan?

31/01/2013 at 11:59

Afternoon Angela!

I’ve got a medium length mid-week run which has also been increasing: 7, 8, 8, 9, 10 and the Sunday long runs have been progressing like this: 12, 14, 16, 18, 20 then next week I’m back down to 13 for the long run although I’ve got a 7 mile trail race on the Saturday. Do you listen to music or audiobooks on your long runs?Sounds like you’re doing really well sticking to your plan and 100 miles before the end of the month is exciting!

Hopefully the running has chased the headache away and you’re feeling better.

Afternoon Marathon Coach Steve,

Thank you – I haven’t been great at sticking to rest days in the past. But I’d rather take the rest now and get to the finish line in Paris with ... well, not ease exactly ...  than injure myself running when I shouldn’t!

Afternoon Andy!

Yes, the back is feeling better today, thanks! Phew!

I’ve got Dorney Lakes Race Your Pace on Saturday 16th March! Apparently is flat as a pancake and is a lap course – each lap being 5k so if I can’t pace myself over this one I deserve to have my trainers confiscated!

I didn’t use gels for my first half marathon and found it difficult, although maybe this was because it was my first half could have been something to do with it! I used the High 5 gels for my 2nd half and knocked 6 minutes off and I used the gels for Liverpool Marathon too. They’ve never caused any tummy problems and I’ve found them fine without washing them down with water although you do end up with sticky fingers if you’re not careful! I’ve only ever drunk water during races or training.

Have you ever been tempted to try the gels? I didn’t for ages as someone described them as flavoured snot to me ... ick! But they’re actually pretty nice!  

31/01/2013 at 12:00

Afternoon Sarah Asics !

My back is feeling a lot better today! I didn’t run yesterday and I had a stretching session instead as you recommended and it worked really well. 

I didn’t have much back pain on Monday so I’m hoping that Tuesday and yesterday were the worst days ... or is that the eternal optimist in me speaking?

I had shooting pains Tuesday and yesterday but those have almost completely disappeared today so I think I’m on the mend! I’ll let you know what Wayne has to say and whether I get some good stretches!   

31/01/2013 at 13:40
Hi RRR,

Unfortunately it quickly turned into much worse than a headache and am having my second day off work with flu- awful nights sleep last night, though I did get up at 2am to use the foam roller- definitely delirious! Unfortunately I won't be getting to 100 miles before month end, but perhaps I'll hit that in February....really should have gotten that vaccination- I'm at risk coz of asthma d'oh!

I used to always listen to music whilst running, however since I started this plan I only use music in the Sunday long run. It was mainly for safety that I stopped as I do so much of my running in the dark at the moment, though I find not listening to music helps me focus better on my pace. I listen to now that's what I call running. Also have a playlist which I have used for races in the past, but some of the races I'm doing this year prohibit or advise against headphones. Do u use music/audiobooks whilst racing?
31/01/2013 at 14:52
Angela Isherwood 2 wrote (see)
Hi RRR, yes usually a lab as well- they must like being walked in fields more than other dogs I suppose... Curious about the 18+ as my plan has long runs increasing weekly like this: 15, 17, 18, 19 then when it gets to 20, the nxt week steps down to 12, then back upto 20 for a second time before the taper. I think those successive weeks at 17 -19 will. Be pretty hard, as 19 miles isn't really that much less than 20, but we'll see- doing a much better job of sticking to the plan than I had in the past- have run 95 miles so far this year today's 6 will make it 101, that being said I've got an awful headache, so hope I'm better this evening for the run- though sure running will probably make it go.

Ruth, I like the look of the pre half marathon carb loading day- usually I just go for pasta and porridge and bananas so the foods are distinctly one colour. Would you change much for those who aren't wheat intolerant?

I would not worry about the colour in diet before marathon (too much colour generally means lots of fruit & veg and this could be a problem for gut/bowel  on day if loaded with fibre )BUT at all other times lots of veggies!

If this was not Sarah diet I would actually increase the portion of carbs! If not gluten/wheat free pasta & bread  could be included.

31/01/2013 at 14:54
RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Afternoon Ruth!

Glad you enjoyed the run description ... here’s hoping that Sunday’s long run will be a bit less challenging! I’m tempted to do the same route again to see what it’s like without the drama! (Although have just noticed they've forecast SNOW again!)

Like the idea of using the half as a testing ground for Paris. I’ll be really careful with checking labels before the run and will ensure there are no cookies in the house so I won’t be tempted!

It seems a huge amount of food in the diary, but I’ll stick to this as closely as possible. You realise I’m still going to have to try and squeeze into my lycra after eating all of that, right?

Just confirming – fruit juice with breakfast such as pure orange rather than the orange squash I usually have?

I trialled the rice cakes yesterday with Nutella and honey – yum! Could definitely add those in!

It all sounds good. Just checking - I can have more water, coffee etc than specified on the plan?

Hi RRR

Yes, pure orange juice.

Very happy with nutella and honey and rice cakes - consider it on the menu!

Water as you feel you need and usual amount of coffee!

You might feel bloated but by next morning should be fine!

31/01/2013 at 14:56
RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Have you ever been tempted to try the gels? I didn’t for ages as someone described them as flavoured snot to me ... ick! But they’re actually pretty nice!  

Ask Mel is she thinks they are nice!

mcs
31/01/2013 at 15:01

Love rice cakes myself when I run out of gluten free bread...........great description of the long run on Sunday..............felt rough this last week with manly type flu sore throat stuff so no long run.....up to 19 miles this week so getting back on it, just done a 10K up the trail in very windy conditions in 46 mins so happy with that as well as three to work this morning quick.  After the shock of redundancy last week we have smashed the record for sales in one month.......awaiting another meeting on Monday to see what the latest news is on when the office will shut. Got a couple of interviews lined up from sending out the CVs already so happier than I was and sleeping better now.
Keep up the great work RRR you are doing really well. Keep up the carbs so you dont get tired or injured now and no more falling over at this stage!!!

31/01/2013 at 22:46
yay, nutella is allowed!
31/01/2013 at 22:49
so sorry to hear about your back, but glad to hear that its now on the mend and your being sensible. The rest will probably do you some good aswell as you have been running hard for the last 6 weeks. I hope that your back up and running soon.

SNOW.....NOOOOooooooo not again, when is it forecasted for?

Im really looking forward to Barcelona and havent really thought about my time yet, would just be nice to get under 1 hr 35
Edited: 31/01/2013 at 22:50
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.