Cobbles & Red Wine - Sarah’s Paris Marathon Plan: Sub 3:35

Asics Target 26.2 - Previously lardy girl goes for a Boston Qualifier

921 to 940 of 1,491 messages
24/02/2013 at 15:51

Cheers Mike.  I'm running Brighton (intend to defer VLM), but that was a good reminder to check what's available on course.  They have Gatorade, which should be fine (I've used that before in other races) and shotblocks, which I've never tried and so will avoid.

25/02/2013 at 11:15
RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Food Diary

20th February

Breakfast: Porridge made with water, 2 tsp x sugar, dash of milk

Lunch: Small salad with lettuce, cherry tomatoes, carrot, red onions, cucumber and peppers and a small amount of tuna.

Dinner: 1 x salmon fillet, 1 x small courgette, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, 2 large mushrooms – all steamed. 1 x fresh beetroot, portion of cottage cheese

Snacks: 1 x crème egg, 1 x mini snack bar  

Drinks: 4 x coffee, 3 pints of squash, 1 glass of water.

Exercise: None (Bad cough and feeling ill so cancelled tonight’s run)

19th February

Breakfast: Porridge made with water, 2 tsp x sugar.

Lunch (at pub): 2 x chicken breasts with bacon and BBQ sauce topped with cheese and chips on the side.

Dinner: Mushroom stirfry.

Snacks: Banana, 3 x chocolates

Drinks: 5 x coffee, 2 x pints of squash, 1 x vanilla protein milkshake

Exercise: 7.7 miles run, 1 hour grocery shopping with energetic 3 year old!

18th February

Breakfast: Porridge made with water, 2 tsp x sugar.

Lunch: Portion of honeydew melon, 15g cheddar cheese, 2 x rice cakes topped with honey and nutella,

Dinner: 1 x salmon fillet, 1 x small courgette, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, 2 large mushrooms – all steamed. 1 x fresh beetroot, portion of cottage cheese, 1 x chilli butter portion, 1 x sweet potato.

Snack: Tablespoon of Christmas pud (couldn’t resist!), 6 x gluten free crackers and cheese dip.

Drinks: 5 x coffee, 4 x pints of squash

Exercise: 1 hour walk

17th February

Dinner: 1 x salmon fillet, 1 x small courgette, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, 2 large mushrooms – all steamed. 1 x portion of mushroom stirfry, portion of cottage cheese, 1 x chilli butter portion, 1 x sweet potato.

Snack: 30g of salted peanuts, 1 x crème egg, 3 x gluten free crackers and cheese dip, 3 x chocolates

Drinks: 2 x coffee, 2 x pints of squash, 1 x vanilla protein milkshake

Exercise: 9.5 miles run, 1 hour walk.

16th February

Lunch: 1 x Apple, 1 x banana, 5 x tbsp mixed seeds.

DinnerFrankie & Benny’s) Chicken with bacon and BBQ sauce topped with cheese and chips on the side and 2 x onion rings.

Snacks: 1 x crème egg, Small amount of pick n mix sweets.

Drinks: 4 x coffee, 3 x pints of squash, 1 x vanilla protein milkshake

Exercise: Dorney Lakes Half Marathon, 1 hour walk

RRR

I am going to say sorry but I am about to nag!I know I have said I won't keep talking about lack of carbs in your diet but feel the above days do not even have enough protein in them :

•  17th (partly as missed lunch),
  • 18th you only had 15g of cheese (about 4g of protein only) 
  •  20th - only small amount of tuna at lunch. 

All in all this is too little when carbs are restricted. If you restrict your carbs you must increase protein as it affects your immunity & ability to train. I have been looking back at you food entries and in the past there has not been so many days where your protein appears be low (low for you rather than someone else) . Would you consider taking your vanilla protein d

25/02/2013 at 11:17

RRR continued from above

.....  drink before bed each night? The leucine (a protein that will be in this drink may be very useful to you in overnight recovery) but still suggest you use after long runs and very intense  training sessions as well. It is my fear that things will start falling apart from serious under fueling - I know I have mentioned this in the past but feel I need to say it again if can't  increase carbs you need to be aware of protein - aiming for up to 25 g of protein in each meal  (a breast of chicken or other 125g portion of  meat or fish  will have this) , as well as 20g before bed. This could be from cottage cheese and rice cakes (around 200g of cottage cheese) or usual milk (pint) or a commerial protein drink with 20g protein per portion. At breakfast at least 250ml of milk in cereal and a 200g pot of natural yoghurt may be useful.

Are the gluten free crackers going down ok? As likely you will need to bring some food with you to Paris so need to start thinking about what foods will travel well for you.

25/02/2013 at 11:33

Ruth - I'm a bit confused .  I thought salmon was high in protein?  For example, on 18th Sarah had salmon for dinner as well as cottage cheese, which I think were in addition to the cheese you mentioned.

25/02/2013 at 16:17
Hi Ruth , I always eat as soon as possible when i've ran/trained , I do try and follow what you are saying to Sarah , my question is , is it wise for me to eat before I go to bed , just for a quicker recovery on stiffness and niggles , if so what's the best intake.
25/02/2013 at 16:25
Sarah , I always take loo roll , how's the running / training going , do you find it hard to eat the correct carbs and protein and fats . Don't know if it's true but you are supposed to eat 60% carbs , 30% protein and 10 % fat , is that what you are doing
25/02/2013 at 17:37

Afternoon RRR

Sorry to hear you've been to the doctors but hopefully the antibiotics will shift your cough.

Did you manage much/all of your long run yesterday?

25/02/2013 at 18:11

How are you feeling, still under the weather?

25/02/2013 at 21:05
Tenjiso wrote (see)

Ruth - I'm a bit confused .  I thought salmon was high in protein?  For example, on 18th Sarah had salmon for dinner as well as cottage cheese, which I think were in addition to the cheese you mentioned.

Yes you are right,  salmon and cotttage cheese are high in protein but Sarah needs a good amount in all meals and not to skip meals with only a little protein in it when the carbs are also low. I just really want the next few weeks of training to go well for Sarah & I guess I am getting nervous as I keep thinking immunity is Sarah biggest threat but her energy levels have been great so far which I guess to be honest I am surprised about but very happy about! But as the miles go up I want to see this continue. I also do not want to confuse people but Sarah's evening meals are always pretty high in protein & lunch is mostly but I was just picking up on a few days where this did not happen.  

25/02/2013 at 21:07
Derrick Baldwin wrote (see)
Hi Ruth , I always eat as soon as possible when i've ran/trained , I do try and follow what you are saying to Sarah , my question is , is it wise for me to eat before I go to bed , just for a quicker recovery on stiffness and niggles , if so what's the best intake.
Do you eat quite a low carb diet? If yes, then the advice I have given above about eating before bed with high animal proteins (cottage cheese, milk etc ) may be very useful for recovery.

25/02/2013 at 22:03

Evening Steve Marathon Coach,

I did one lap and it felt a lot harder than it should have, so I stopped after the one lap. I was glad I did as ended up having coughing fits all the way home. Definitely not quite right. Went to the doctors earlier and have been prescribed some antibiotics so hopefully these will start kicking in tomorrow and I should be on my way back to normal soon.

25/02/2013 at 22:03

Evening Tenjiso!

What can I say … best not to leave any travel organisation to me! … or Mel!

I’m using the High 5 gels – you don’t need to take them with water – they’re pretty palatable and fairly runny so not too bad. I forgot to take any water at all on my last 20 miler and just used the gels and they were fine. Yes – 6 during the marathon sounds right. I’ve never had any problems with these (upset tummy or anything) but I’ve never tried any others either – didn’t see the need to once I’d used these and got on ok with them

25/02/2013 at 22:04

Evening Mike!

Eek! That doesn’t sound like a nice surprise! A thick gooey gel you weren’t expecting in the middle of a marathon! I thought of you when I saw some Lucozade gel on sale earlier!

25/02/2013 at 22:08

Evening Derrick!

That’s fantastic – sounds like you’re perfectly on track with your long run! Bet it was a great confidence booster – I love it when a long run goes just right! Have your legs eased up today?

With regards to the proportions of carbs, proteins etc, I log a food diary on my phone and since I started training on the 17th December, it looks as though the ratios are approx protein 22 %, Fat 33 % and carbohydrates 45% (the app includes fruits, veg etc in carbohydrates). I don’t know how accurate the app is (I’m using Tap’n’Track) but these are the values it’s giving me.

25/02/2013 at 22:09

Evening Ruth,

Not nagging – please DO say if you see problems in my diet! I’d prefer you to say and for me to be able to fix them before they cause issues!!

Yes – I’ll add in the protein drink every evening. It’s actually really nice – I make it with milk so it’s like a really creamy, yummy milkshake so I’m perfectly happy with that!

The crackers were ok, but they weren’t very filling. I may as well have had a banana instead to be honest. I’ll take rice cakes and the nutella and honey with me and make sure I can stick as closely as possible to the ‘food before race day’ that you worked out for me. Things like the baked potato and the salad should be fairly easy to find in France, wherever we decide to eat I should think. I don’t think an Italian restaurant would be a problem for me as salads or a chicken dish would still be available I should think. 

With regards to upping protein – would linseeds in the porridge be a good idea? Or nuts as a snack? I’m just wondering about easy options that will travel well…

25/02/2013 at 22:10

Evening Andy,

I only managed 5 miles of the long run yesterday before giving it up as a bad job. I got the antibiotics from the doctor today so hopefully these will start to kick in tomorrow. I’m all breathless and tired at the moment. Not good when I want to be out running!

25/02/2013 at 22:11

Evening CailinAgRith

Still feeling rubbish. I’m a dreadful patient – really grumpy and sulky when I can’t run. I expect I’ll be locked out of the house with my running gear before long in an attempt to shift me out of my bad mood! Running always makes me feel better … well when I can breathe and I’m not coughing all the time, that is!

25/02/2013 at 22:29

21st February 2013

Breakfast: Porridge, 2.5 tsp sugar, dash of milk,

Lunch: Christmas pudding

Dinner: salmon fillet, 6 mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, ½ courgette – all steamed, 1 x fresh beetroot, portion of cottage cheese.

Snack: Tangerine, twix style mini choc bar, 1 x chocolate.

Drinks: 5 x coffee, 3 pints of squash, 1 x tea

Exercise: None

22nd February 2013

Breakfast: Porridge, 3 tsp sugar, dash of milk,

Lunch: Tin of tuna and tbsp mayonnaise

Dinner: Saveloy, chicken quarter, chips.

Snack: Satsuma, yoghurt coated raisins, crème egg, banana

Drinks: 2 x coffee, 3 pints of squash

Exercise: 1 hour housecleaning, short walk

23rd February 2013

Breakfast: Porridge, 3 tsp sugar, dash of milk.

Lunch: banana, 3 tbsp mixed seeds, 1 tbsp peanut butter, 1 x tbsp nutella,

Dinner: salmon fillet, 3 mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, ½ courgette – all steamed, portion of cottage cheese.

Snack: crème egg, 1 chocolate, 1 x large orange, slice of lemon sponge cake, small amount of Christmas pudding.

1 x protein drink, 3 x coffee, 3 pints of squash

Exercise: half hour house cleaning, 1 hour of running,

24th February 2013

Lunch: Roast chicken, 4 x slices of parsnip, 2 x new roasted potatoes, slice of sausage meat, Yorkshire pudding, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, gravy, stuffing, mushy peas. (Cooked for me!!

Tea: Mushroom stirfry

Snack: Banana, crème egg, peppermint cream bar, 3 x chocolates

Drinks: 1 x glass water, 4 x coffee, 3 x pints of squash

Exercise: short walk, grocery shopping with 3 year old, hour running

25th February 2013

Lunch: tomato and basil soup, tin of tuna and mayonnaise,

Snack: crème egg, 1 x chocolate, 1 tbsp nutella

Dinner: salmon fillet, 3 mushrooms, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, ½ courgette,  – all steamed, 1 x fresh beetroot, portion of cottage cheese.

Drinks: 3 x hot chocolate, 2 x coffee, 3 x pints of squash, 1 x protein drink (having just seen Ruth’s instructions!

Exercise: 30 mins housecleaning, 30 mins walking.

25/02/2013 at 22:34

Week 10, Day 7

Goal: 22 mile long run

Actual: 5 miles ... very slow

As per Marathon Coach Steve's advice, I did this run very slowly to see how I felt. I kept slowing down deliberately and although I didn't feel too bad while running, it was a lot more effort than it should have been. I stopped after one lap to see how I felt and although I hadn't felt too bad when I was running, I was quite breathless when I stopped and had coughing fit after coughing fit on the way home, so I think I was right not to push it and stop when I did.

Booked a doctor's appointment today and came out with antibiotics. Hopefully these will shift it and I'll be back running properly shortly. I hate being ill - I'm a terrible patient and the sooner I'm back running the better!

26/02/2013 at 10:14

well done on finishing early. hopefully anti biotics will help though some find even if they get rid of the cough cold etc, they make you feel very sluggish so you may just have to ease into training when you do feel better.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.