Cobbles & Red Wine - Sarah’s Paris Marathon Plan: Sub 3:35

Asics Target 26.2 - Previously lardy girl goes for a Boston Qualifier

981 to 1,000 of 1,491 messages
02/03/2013 at 07:22
Woo woo!! On the train on the way to Bootcamp number 3!! Eeek!!! Wish me luck!!
02/03/2013 at 10:42

So glad you are feeling better! I have only managed two very short, very slow runs as I'm still feeling tired and a bit achy. However, it did cheer me up a bit to get back on the road. I don't think I can jump straight back in like you!

Good luck with bootcamp - can't wait to hear the details!

Buffy

02/03/2013 at 14:22
sarah osborne wrote (see)
Dont normally eat chocolate and cakes but ive had to start...its so strange, im not use to it. 

I don't normally go within a mile of chocolate and biscuits, but I've been laying into them like they are the last available food following armageddon!  

Enjoy the bootcamp Sarah (the other Sarah ).  

02/03/2013 at 19:11
Im glad its not just me tenjiso., lol!

Went to tescos yesterday and had a big blow out.....love bread and cereal so stocked up the cupboards with these...fingers crossed ive enough now so I dont have to reach for the sweater stuff....I have grapes for that (my husband thinks im very odd).

Dont worry Sarah im making sure that im not going to loose anything else (otherwise im going to need a new wardrobe)....had two huge meals yesterday after my long run...lancashire (lamb) hotpot and veg for lunch and spag bol for tea..mmm

Im so glad to see that you had a successful run yesterday and felt ok, lets hope thats it now during marathon training. Hope youve had fun at bootcamp today.

Ruth can I pick your brains again, Ive decided im going to stick to having Cliff Shot blocks during the marathon. Last year I made the mistake of not having anything until about mile 14 but this time im going to start early. I was wondering how you would recommend me having them. Theres 24g of carbohydrates in 3 blocks. I didnt know if I would be best taking one (8g) every three miles or two (16g) every 5 miles. I think I would struggle to have three at once as they are quite chewy. I was thinking that i could have a jelly baby (my favourite) every 5 miles also to top up the carbs...what do you think? Thankyou
02/03/2013 at 19:20
Good luck for tomorrow Sarah
02/03/2013 at 20:47
Forgot to ask...do you need to know my weight Ruth? Its 49kg if so.
03/03/2013 at 09:24
The training is going good ( touch wood ) I got a PB for over a year at parkrun (19:56) yippieee. Lsr are all on track and I seem to be eating all the correct foods for quick recovery's thanks to Ruth's posts. I've got one for Steve the coach , I'm racing on the 17 of March but I've just seen a 20 miler on the 10 of March , should I do them both or just one of them.
03/03/2013 at 12:45
Sorry Steve I forgot to tell you , the 17 of March is half s marathon
03/03/2013 at 18:17

Hi Sarah, congratulations on getting round your half today despite your illness, youve done really well. Hope your feeling ok now and that the race wasnt too painful

03/03/2013 at 18:21

Derrick. the 20 may be ok if you run it controlled and slower than marathon pace or at least just a section at marathon pace but it is a risk if you are really targetting a fast HM.

If the main aim is 100% the marathon and the HM is more for sharpening or you just want to get 13 fast miles in then the 20 may be the better run (not race) for marathon preparation.

04/03/2013 at 10:44
sarah osborne wrote (see)
Im glad its not just me tenjiso., lol!

Went to tescos yesterday and had a big blow out.....love bread and cereal so stocked up the cupboards with these...fingers crossed ive enough now so I dont have to reach for the sweater stuff....I have grapes for that (my husband thinks im very odd).

Dont worry Sarah im making sure that im not going to loose anything else (otherwise im going to need a new wardrobe)....had two huge meals yesterday after my long run...lancashire (lamb) hotpot and veg for lunch and spag bol for tea..mmm

Im so glad to see that you had a successful run yesterday and felt ok, lets hope thats it now during marathon training. Hope youve had fun at bootcamp today.

Ruth can I pick your brains again, Ive decided im going to stick to having Cliff Shot blocks during the marathon. Last year I made the mistake of not having anything until about mile 14 but this time im going to start early. I was wondering how you would recommend me having them. Theres 24g of carbohydrates in 3 blocks. I didnt know if I would be best taking one (8g) every three miles or two (16g) every 5 miles. I think I would struggle to have three at once as they are quite chewy. I was thinking that i could have a jelly baby (my favourite) every 5 miles also to top up the carbs...what do you think? Thankyou

Hi Sarah

I would go for the drip feed option with the chews when you find them heavy. My first guideline to you would be no less then 30g of carb per hour (so 4 shot blocks or 3 shot blocks and 2 jelly babies (jelly babies around 4.5g of carbs per sweet) per hour. You may need up to 50g of carbs per hour but some runners seem to get by on less and you may be one of these runners as you are light. What carbs per hour have you taken before and how have you felt? A little more history may help me decide on how much to have per hour. But my initial thoughts are one sweet every 15minutes or 2 jelly babies, this may seem a lot to you so if really think this is not doable reduce to 24-25g per hour and have over two feedings say at 30, 60mins, 90mins etc

Let me know your thoughts on above.

04/03/2013 at 10:48

RRR

It was a busy weekend for you, looking forward to hearing all about it!

I have narrowed  restaurant choices down in Paris to 3 but need my sister (who lives in Paris) to phone them up and check non pasta/pizza options as my french is well....non existent . No menus  online but have choices down to a few which are only 0.2-0.6 miles from hotel.

04/03/2013 at 16:08
Eeek!! Sorry for quiet!! Have had a couple of AMAZING running days which have wiped me out!!! And some pics!! Will be on with full reports very shortly!!

P.s Brought y own coffee to bootcamp this time!!!
04/03/2013 at 19:40

Evening Buffy!

How are you feeling now? Well done on getting your 2 runs in. Sounds like we’ve had something similar … I slept for 12 hours after bootcamp and 14 hours last night! Still trying to shake off this horrible bug! Have you managed to get out for a run today?

04/03/2013 at 19:41

Evening Tenjiso!

How did you find Silverstone? It was a strange course, wasn’t it? There wasn’t much support for about 11 of the 13.1 miles, but when there WAS support it was FANTASTIC!!

How did you get on?

04/03/2013 at 20:03

OOps sorry...

How dis the half go? I'm sure you will be fighting fit very soon and will be faster than ever.

Did manage another 5 miles tonight - not sure whether I'll be up to the 20 on the schedule this weekend!

Take care.

Buffy

04/03/2013 at 20:31

Evening Sarah!

Thanks for the good luck wishes!!

Saying that you like grapes … Have you tried frozen grapes??! It sounds really odd but they taste AMAZING!!

Silverstone was fine, but a LOT harder than Dorney… can’t quite shake off this cough! Have been sleeping huge amounts in an attempt to get rid of it!!

04/03/2013 at 20:32

Evening Derrick!!

Woo woo!! Well done on your parkrun PB!! Sounds as though everything is going perfectly!!

What are you deciding to do for the races?

04/03/2013 at 20:42

Evening Ruth!!

It’s been a mad … but fun weekend!! You’d have been proud! I took nuts to snack on during bootcamp and have been having protein bars and drinks after the runs and in the evenings! Even remembered a bar after Silverstone yesterday. Was eating it in the traffic queue to get out of the car park!! It was an hour and a half wait …!

Restaurant choices sound good – especially without too much walking! I had a goats cheese salad the evening before Dorney Lakes and that went down well! So anything salady sounds good to me!

04/03/2013 at 21:06

Evening Buffy!!

Hee hee! Don’t worry! Silverstone half was tough – a hard slog. After Dorney which was nice and comfortable it was a bit of a shock to the system! But .. got to have one that doesn’t go to plan every now and then to keep me on my toes!!

How did you find the 5 miles this evening? Did they feel ok? I’m still feeling very tired.

981 to 1,000 of 1,491 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.