Dear Runners World Scrutineers

The 26.2 voting system is open to abuse, no?

1 to 20 of 100 messages
05/12/2013 at 13:59

With one change to my computer settings I can vote multiple times for any number of candidates.

I've been very careful to add the same number of votes to each candidate while I tried this out, but I wonder if all voters share my sense of fair play and equal competition?

And if, on the off chance, there is someone busily clicking away to bump up their preferred candidate, will you be able to sort duplicate votes from genuine ones?

05/12/2013 at 15:05

they did send us an email to say multiple votes from a single computer would not be counted.

05/12/2013 at 16:39
Im not sure how much any votes from the forum will make. There seems to be no correlation between interacting on here and the total votes in some cases.
seren nos    pirate
05/12/2013 at 17:00

at the same time can you please explain that whilst there were a several women in the bootcamp for sub 3 you didn't choose one at all.......so the winner has to be male.

and also if you are going for men and a clever male abuses the voting system then it could mean we are left with 5 men.and no women.......

05/12/2013 at 17:07

Perhaps they weren't suitable? Would it be better if they left out a deserving man and lobbed in a token woman who didn't seem to have the right attitude they wanted?

Of course if they were sexist in their approach then I agree that is wrong.

seren nos    pirate
05/12/2013 at 17:10

they only saw them all for a few hours....not really enough time to assess suitability.........and then if they weren't suitable then I'm sure that there is an acceptable reason..

05/12/2013 at 17:13

Have you got a faulty full stop key?

seren nos    pirate
05/12/2013 at 17:13

No.....just a faulty brain 

05/12/2013 at 18:03

Hi guys.

The voting system was set up to encourage as much support as possible from the running community and we believe it will offer the best reflection of support for the finalists.  Last year's final decisions were made by judges, this year we wanted the decision to be made by the voting public.

We will of course be monitoring it and believe the competition is being embraced in the spirit intended.  

As for the final choices for sub 3, these guys were picked by our experts based on what they saw at bootcamp and how people responded to the day. It has nothing to do with the sex of the runners, simply if they fit the criteria that the experts were looking for. 

Thanks. 

05/12/2013 at 18:08

Hi Ben,

are you saying that voting is the be all and end all then? If that is the case it doesn't reflect the views of runners - it's just a reflection of who has most contacts. 

05/12/2013 at 18:58

Tbh the more friends you have on Facebook the more votes you will get people will be drumming up there mates from the pub and school. It doesnt matter if they are runners or not 

Get 1000 how many of them will be from this forum?

Not many I bet all you have to do is look at the site 

Only members should be able to vote not any bod in the street

Ben RW this system wont work because its open to abuse

05/12/2013 at 19:55
I agree that the votes should come from forum members and magazine subscribers.
It looks as though 90% of the votes are coming from Facebook or twitter contacts so just get rid of it from the forum as its just clogging everything up.
05/12/2013 at 20:32

I find it funny how so many of the threads asking for votes have died away anyway ....... quite sad. I dunno, maybe its just me, I kinda didnt mind them ....... I mean how many times can you read 'I lack motivation, motivate me' threads? At least this was something different ....

05/12/2013 at 20:35

I agree with millsy1977 and goldbeetle...the votes should just come from forum members Or readers of the mag if they timed the issue with the start of voting

seren nos    pirate
05/12/2013 at 20:38

well I'm sure that the 1000 of people who vote for the winner will all contribute to their thread.....

05/12/2013 at 20:39

05/12/2013 at 20:41
seren nos wrote (see)

well I'm sure that the 1000 of people who vote for the winner will all contribute to their thread.....

Ouch , youre quite bitter about this whole thing arent you?

Tell me, who is your favourite person in there? who would you hope gets a place?

05/12/2013 at 20:42
When I looked at the voting earlier, there was one entrant that had well over a thousand votes (around double what the others had) but haven't even seen their thread yet.
seren nos    pirate
05/12/2013 at 21:10

Mr I.

I am not bitter at all. I get involved every year.

and some people have great threads that are brilliant to read.and some can hardly bother to log on and the threads almost die making it impossible for anyone else to follow the journey with them.......

and why be bitter because we have our own forum 6 that works at the same time which is a mixture of regular posters and some of those newbies that have shown an enthusiasm in their posting........you should try for that one Mr I.you might be able to knock a chunk of your marathon time with some structured training

05/12/2013 at 21:12

It's all just a popularity contet if you ask me 

1 to 20 of 100 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.