Does it matter if I miss a run on xmas Day?

Marathon training

1 to 20 of 22 messages
07/11/2013 at 14:04

I'm training for my first marathon and am following the Hal Hilgdon Novice 2 programme.  I've already started the programme and by the time Xmas comes around, I will be repeating some earlier weeks, bringing me back up to week 7 again.  I've done some calcs, because I obviously have too much time on my hands today at work!   And on Xmas day, I should be running a 7 miler.  This is only an hour's cardio, but with 2 kids indoors and having to get glammed up, would it matter if I did my 7 miler on Xmas eve instead and missing a weekly session?  I don't really want time away from the kids on Xmas day and am wondering if it's that big of a deal, even though I am training for the London Marathon?  I will have under my belt a 15 miler and I would have been following a marathon training programme for about 10 weeks.  If I do manage to get out, then great, but the kids come first on Xmas day, not me! Thanks for your replies.

cougie    pirate
07/11/2013 at 14:05
No it won't matter. The long runs are the key. Try and avoid missing those - but one run out of a week isn't a biggie.
07/11/2013 at 14:11

No it won't make any difference Pipski....any marathon schedule needs to be flexible enough to allow you to miss the odd session because sometime life (or Christmas) just gets in the way.  You are already well on track and there'll still be a few months to go before the race so don't worry about it

07/11/2013 at 14:15
You are already ahead of the plan so you can afford to take it easy during the Xmas week and pick it back up again after new year.
I always factor Xmas eve to New Year's Day into my plan, so any runs I get in at that time are a bonus.
07/11/2013 at 14:19

Thanks guys, I thought as much.  That was excellent feedback!

07/11/2013 at 14:21
No. Have another slice of turkey instead. You'll thank me.
08/11/2013 at 11:57

Wait until the kids have opened their presents and your partner has started to cook dinner and then go out.  Hopefully dinner will be ready when you get back.  You can then have that extra slice of turkey and whilst your partner is washing up you can go for a shower ready for a well earned beer or two.

08/11/2013 at 13:03

keep ticking over during the festive period, and try to limit and damage caused by booze and overeating, so you don't feel like dirt when you ramp up the training again. otherwise enjoy yourself. it's Chriiiiiiiiiiiiiiistmaaaaaaaaaas. 

08/11/2013 at 13:51

You can sneak off for an hour to destress whilst the dinner is cooking! 

08/11/2013 at 13:59

Run on Christmas day?!  I've invariably got a head like a box of frogs.  Might as well crack on with the sherry.  I impressed myself by getting out on Boxing Day last year though. 

08/11/2013 at 14:00

I'll be racing boxing day  There's always an annual 5 miler round these parts!

08/11/2013 at 14:10
Pipski wrote (see)

would it matter if I did my 7 miler on Xmas eve instead and missing a weekly session? .

Sorry, yes. Your marathon attempt is doomed now, I'm afraid.

08/11/2013 at 15:12

Very funny Literatin! 

Agent Ginger.The chances of me not drinking too much over Xmas is a hilarious idea!  I love my wine as much as I love my training.  Why do you think I train so hard!  I will try not to drink so much next year....how's that?  I do plan on giving it up 10 days before the race....I've been pregnant twice, hence sober twice for 9 months....I have no intention being that sensible ever again

08/11/2013 at 15:49
I've found that having my Long Run on a Sunday reduces the amount of alcohol I consume on a Saturday night. Sunday dinner however...

The days on your program are not set in stone. As long as easy day follows a hard day you're good to go.
Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/11/2013 at 15:53

Daley Thompson used to train on Christmas Day because he knew that his rivals wouldn't.  Quite frankly, if you haven't got the commitment of Daley you're just not cut out for marathons.

08/11/2013 at 16:12
According to Mrs Thompson he just trained for the high jump on Xmas day.

At least that's what Inthink she said.
REM
09/11/2013 at 05:55

Am planning on a 5 mile PB on Boxing Day.  How is this possible? Never run a 5 mile race before!

09/11/2013 at 07:09

I always run on Xmas day. Love getting out. So quiet, lovely friendly dog walkers in wood and you don't feel guilty eating all day!

Dubai Dave    pirate
09/11/2013 at 07:55

I also run every Christmas day its chill time.

09/11/2013 at 19:41
literatin wrote (see)
Pipski wrote (see)

would it matter if I did my 7 miler on Xmas eve instead and missing a weekly session? .

Sorry, yes. Your marathon attempt is doomed now, I'm afraid.

Hmm seems like you need to get out there!

1 to 20 of 22 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.