Dublin Marathon

25th Dublin Marathon

19 messages
24/04/2004 at 20:25
Anyone planning to run this years Dublin Marathon. FLM was my first 4:56:56 and I now have the bug and would like to improve on my time. Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

I assume the numbers running this event are fewer than London so the chances of getting a PB are going to be greater. Even started picking up the lingo

Thanks
24/04/2004 at 21:04
I believe there is a thread in events with lots of forumites doing it:-)

Well done on you 1st marathon and a good time as well!!

Or there is cardiff in October flat and fast 2 laps finish in millenium stadium last year only 1000 runners:-)
25/04/2004 at 12:39
Poppy , you've said the magic words - flat and fast , any details ?
25/04/2004 at 15:01
Billy

www.cardiffmarathon.org

3rd October 9am start there is a very healthy thread I started in events lots of folks doing it this year lots chasing GFA places.

A really nice city to run in;-)
26/04/2004 at 10:03
I would recommend Dublin. They usually have about 8000 runners but because this is their 25th year they are hoping for a couple of thousand more. A bit more hilly than London but well organised and a good weekend!
26/04/2004 at 11:08
Am doing it -should be a great weekend - large thread on events on Dublin marathon.
26/04/2004 at 11:28
After my dissapointing run at FLM i've targeted Dublin as my next Marathon
26/04/2004 at 12:16
Im doing it and it will be my first one! Cant wait
26/04/2004 at 15:28
What date is it?
26/04/2004 at 16:03
Liz

Bank Holiday Maonday (Eire)25th Oct

26/04/2004 at 16:22
I'm planning to do it too. I need to do a marathon sub 5hrs this year to qualify for Two Oceans in Cape Town next year. Since I didn't manage in London and have no chance in Edinburgh (too hilly) the plan is to do my first sub-5 in October!
26/04/2004 at 16:35
hmm. manageable! Thanks Bodge!
26/04/2004 at 17:30
I did this last year - the first year that the course was reversed to provide for the Phoenix Park bit at the beginning, not the end (which was, I'm told, and absolute heartbreak when you reached the park after 20+ miles in years gone by).

Last October was a dream. Blue blue skies and about 12-13c.

Took 19 mins off my previous pb from a very hot FLM 2003.

I'd recommend it to anyone. The Irish runners are great characters (met a few real nutters before, during and after the event).

Don't blame me if its driving sleet this Halloween Monday, though!
27/04/2004 at 13:39
Sutts (Mark) - longtime no hear or see. How are things? I guess you had recovered from the Bolsover 10K set back but from your thread you had a disapointing FLM - What happened? What time did you do? I have been struggling with that foot injury (sesamoiditis) I had at Bolsover and am hopefully starting to run again soon. I have everything booked for Dublin, would be good if you and your Family can make it. Take care
27/04/2004 at 15:26
Andre,

Nice to hear your foot problem is on the mend. I'm sure you'll be fit and ready to go by October.

I've got an entry form for Dublin, I just need to get myself organised and send it off (and book a hotel !!!!)

This years FLM was really a reminder to me that if you don't train hard enough you will get caught out running a marathon.

My build up to the race was haphazard at best, I then picked up a knee injury five weeks prior to the race and had to have four weeks total rest, this was then compounded by a really bad cold in the week prior to the race. Fortunately the cold cleared up three days before the race and I decided to "go for it" rather than defer.

In hindsight I probably should have given the race a miss, I was bang on 3.30 pace for the first 10 miles, then my lack of training kicked in and the suffering began.

By the time I reached the 19 mile point I felt like I was running through treacle, I eventually struggled to the finish in 3:54 !!!!

After a weeks total rest I started my training program again this morning, hopefully all will be back to normal soon.

Hopefully see you soon
27/04/2004 at 16:51
Sutts - that sounds very painful, hats for continuing and finishing in still a respectable time. I have had physio this lunchtime and need to build up mileage slowly - literally 2 miles max and then add on a mile at a time to make sure all is OK. I am hoping to do the Rothley 10K, Mansfield Half and Robinhood half as last year before the Dublin. It would be great if you can do the Dublin, I would book quickly though as flight prices are going up quickly as are hotels. We are all flying out early Friday morning with BMI baby from East Midlands staying in the Holiday Inn town centre and then flying back on Tuesday evening after loads of beer on Monday pm!!!
28/04/2004 at 07:41
Andre - I hope all goes well with your recovery. I'm planning on running the Mansfield 1/2 and te Robin Hodd as well so hopefully we'll get the chance to meet up before to long.
Thanks for the advice about Dublin, i'll get my flights and hotel booked a.s.a.p

PS - I like the sound of your plans for Monday (pm)
07/05/2004 at 13:43
anyone got a course map or link!
08/05/2004 at 21:27
http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.