Edinburgh Marathon

201 to 220 of 506 messages
06/04/2013 at 16:53
LDNRunner this will be my 2nd marathon and I still haven't a clue what pace to go for.

On weds I did 13 miles at 8.35 min miles and today my long run was 23 miles and I did the first 10 at about 9.15 then 10 at 8.50 and last 3 at 8.30.

I agree starting too fast is the worst mistake I always take first couple miles easy until I get in a rhythm .....

If you half marathon race times are 2 hours I reckon you should be looking to pace At 9.44 for a 4.15 finish....but you would need to try that pace on a long run.

I'm not an expert and I'm not sure about my own pacing yet but my first marathon was 4.09 off a 1.55 half.

Maybe someone else can advise us both lol!!!!!!! Someone with more experience out there????
06/04/2013 at 21:40
I've done many marathons but I'm not sure I can be a good guide. Everyone different. The standard rule is however 2.1 x the half marathon time. Many people struggle with this though - me included. I think 4:15 is a good target. Maybe 4:20 to be a bit safer and get a negative split. The key is to not get carried away. Edinburgh's first mile or so is down hill and is easy to get carried away. If you can pass people on the back 7 or so miles (often into a wind), it is a sign of good pacing.
07/04/2013 at 22:12

Hi everyone just got back to the Midlands from competing in the Blackpool half today. Ran 1 hr 44 26 secs which was way better than I could have dreamed for. Conditions were as good as they could ever be for a run by the sea. Kept looking at the full marathon runners with awe later on in the morning and thinking hells bells this will be me in a few weeks time. Back to 20 miles next Sunday, next stop Edinburgh.

08/04/2013 at 23:35

Hi Gary,

Slow reply, but for parking I'd maybe consider Edenhall Road or any of the others just off Pinkie Road for a quick get-away.  Difficult to be sure when I don't drive, I don't know Musselburgh well, and road restrictions (in the name of a good cause!) may make everywhere a bit busier.

I've just noticed my bus no. 26 suggestion is very appropriate for you marathoners!

09/04/2013 at 10:16

I wondered if anyone wanted to buy my place.  I know the transfer window is closed but I'm still not able to run after a dog knocked me off my bike a few weeks ago (thanks dog).  I also have train tickets London to Edinburgh sat to sun if anyone is interested?

10/04/2013 at 07:23
Thanks Wohlf

I'm sure there will be parking somewhere by the finish.

PipG
Oh no....Sorry that you won't be able to make it,after you tried so hard to recover in time, Maybe next year.
10/04/2013 at 19:44
Just heading back from yesterday's marathon. Finished in 5:38, so quite slow. Quite happy though as 8th place.

Hope everyone's training is good?
10/04/2013 at 20:25
Well done Hillheader!!!!

Only 6 weeks on sunday aaaaghh

Feeling a bit tired but trying to get out as often as possible. Still trying to give up the wine but haven't been successful on that front. Would love to shift a few pounds to make the run easier!
12/04/2013 at 06:07
Well done Roger. Sorry for not spotting earlier. That's a great time. How did it feel at that pace after 13.1?

I'm nearly home now. Now running yet but will go out in the hills with club tomorrow.

Everyone got a big mileage weekend run looming?
12/04/2013 at 08:10

Thanks Hillheader. Surprisingly I felt great. I set out to run 8.30 pace and yet started off at 8 mins a mile, got caught up in all the ballyhoo.

I was able to keep to about 8.05 until the last four miles when I put a spurt on and passed quite a lot of runners which gave me confidence. Though I still had energy left afterwards I couldnt have run 26 miles at that pace. I have to admit the conditions were ideal.

I then went out and did a seven miler on Tuesday and was knackered running at 8.30 - so maybe it took out more than I thought.

Back to a long 20 miler on Sunday and back to 8.50 pace. For once in my life got to be sensible.

Sorry to hear you wont be competing with us PipG.

13/04/2013 at 19:19
Gentle recovery run for me today. Everything working fine. Nice to be running in moderate temperatures again! Away to Holland for a week tomorrow. Lots of (flat) runs planned.
14/04/2013 at 11:16

Thanks Janie and Hillheader for the replies!

Did a half marathon race in 1:55 yesterday but I know I wouldn't be able to keep that pace up for a further 13 miles. I think I'll err on the side of caution and aim for a 4:30 pace given it's my first one.

Really looking forward to it (apart from the very end - I've heard it's uphill??); if the weather is anything like today it'll be fantastic.

14/04/2013 at 19:53

Good time for the half LDN. The Edinburgh marathon has a flat finish. When you turn for home though with about 7 miles to go, this can be into the wind as along the coast and you are heading back West. The finish at the school is great. Not sure if they are switching to the race course though across the road?? either way, it is flat with only a few undulations along the coast.

I'm in Holland this week. 19 deg C today; another gentle recovery run today. Think I've nearly recovered from last week but I'm always cautious.

19/04/2013 at 16:14
Hi All

Well done on all your runs, your pace's are fantastic.
I was really hoping for a 4:30 target, but as the Marathon creeps up on me i'm going to hope for anything under the 5hr mark.
its 5 weeks to go and im getting nervous

I have go a 20 mile run tomorrow and hoping I can come home unscathed.

Regards to parking for the day, I have decided to get a taxi for my wife and children from Duddlingston (Just outside the city) to the finish and back again for only ??18.
I'm sure its a lot cheeper than finding a place to park and easier than treking to get the bus.

Happy training people.
19/04/2013 at 16:22

Gaz you will be alright, trust the training and dont be sh1t lol

Enjoy the 20 miler......

22/04/2013 at 16:28

Hiya guys, i completed a 22 miler on Friday and surprised myself with just under 8.30s and felt relatively ok at the end.  Another 22 miler in a fortnight and then taper! looking forward to the day now.  Does anyone know why there are 2 start times and 2 different start places?

22/04/2013 at 22:21

Well done Rdrunner. Good pace especially if you felt good at the end.  

There used to be just one start and one start time. Now I guess that the numbers are too big for one start (look at London with 3 starts). The staggered start allows the faster start (London road) to get clear before they merge. Last year I'd been running for a few minutes but could hear the count down to the second start. Many years ago, the start was at Holyrood park with a lap around the (hilly) radical road around Arthur's seat. This was an improvement over the year before when this hilly bit was right at the end - to much complaint! Even before this, the start was the other side of the Forth bridge and the run was over the bridge to begin. All of these routes had narrow bits unsuitable to the bigger numbers (with relay etc.).

Good runs last week for me. Away to Budapest tomorrow (with trainers).

23/04/2013 at 10:39

I sprained my ankle on Friday boohoo!!!!!

23/04/2013 at 11:06

oooh nooo. How bad is it? hope you recover quickly x

23/04/2013 at 11:20

Did a 12 mile run then i was in my garden and went over on it foot totally swollen couldnt walk went to hospital got it x rayed they confirmed a sprain. Its black and blue but i can walk on it okay now been using RICE and im going to see my sports therapist tomorrow and start cross training tomorrow night see how it goes.  Fingers crossed I can get back to running soon.  Ive already done 1x18....2x20 and and 23 long run was hoping to get another couple in but will have to wait and see what happens!!!! Bloody typical!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.