Edinburgh Marathon

261 to 280 of 506 messages
09/05/2013 at 15:01

hiya guys, nearly there!. did my last long run of 22 miles on Sunday in 8.21's. pace felt comfortable and its a hilly route so may change my first hoped for time of 3.45 to 3.40 but just dont want to go out too fast as in previous marathons and ruin the whole race, still trying to decide what pace to start at. decisions decisions!! good luck to everyone running, see you there and maybe after for a few beers!!

09/05/2013 at 19:07

CBO - in theory I'm up for running in a (just) sub 4 hr group but reserve the right to seriously slow down if it's really hot or there's a fierce headwind or my body suddenly realises what I'm trying to make it do. I'll have a red t-shirt and orange Sauciny trainers. I suppose a number would help too, I'm 9513

09/05/2013 at 20:26
Hi All

My pack arrived today so no turning back.
Contained 1. Race number
2. Energy Tablets.
4. Safety Pins.
I'm in the Gold pen at the start, was a bit worried at first because I thought the Gold would be for the elite athletes but it must be for sub 5hr.

Going to do a 20 mile run tomorrow as i missed it last weekend, and then back to the schedule.
Am I getting nervous? Yes....
09/05/2013 at 21:33

Great stuff... Looking forward to getting the race pack soon. Makes it seem more real!?

Does anyone who has done Edinburgh before  know how the pens are split in regards to times?

Good luck Gary with you 20 miles tomorrow. I have planned 10 miles tomorrow (followed by 1 hour physio appt), 10 on Saturday and then 18 on Sunday. I have told the physio I have no major injuries or niggles I just want my legs to forget London.. hope they succeed! 

10/05/2013 at 14:56

Just got told by the doc that I have shingles.  He's given me some bullet like pills that he hopes will stop it in it's tracks and he reckons I 'should' be ok for Edinburgh.  

Training might be a challenge for the next couple of weeks.  

Nightmare.

10/05/2013 at 16:31

Enjoy your running this weekend everyone! I've had a bit of a set back in that I have a nice round lump developed on the top of my foot yetsreday and it is quite sore so need to rest  managed to get the intervals and tempo in but long run that was planned for Sunday might not happen now. Very frustrating as I was feeling so strong, never had that type of issue before which is even more frustrating. Ah well, just have to ride it out and see how I am next week, guessing it's tendonitis. If I can't do the long run will just have to do a session on the bike so at least i'm doing something. Hopefully its nothing, plenty Ibuprofen, biofreeze and ktape order of the day! Looks like noone else suffering - apart from you Sweatysock  guess at this stage you just have to rely on training already banked but hope the pills work!

10/05/2013 at 16:50

Not so good Sweatysock. Hope you recover quick.

Also Miggito - hope you can rest and let it ease down. At least you are in the taper now so the vast majority of training down.

Good luck to anyone doing the last long run (Gary and Dave).

As training has gone well for me, I'm going to go for a 3:20-3:25 time. I'd really like to get under 3:25 to get a Boston place. No chance of a PB (past my prime now!).

60 miles so far this week but now waiting for a 10 hour flight to Chengdu. Probably by smoggy and busy so limited to short runs or hotel treadmill.

10/05/2013 at 18:22
Sorry to hear of your injuries guys, fingers crossed you will be ok in two weeks.
Thanks for the message Hillheader, I wimped out on the 20 miles today as I overdone it in the garden yesterday (Painting the decking and fences).

I still went out though and did a very comfortable 10 miles in 1 hr 36 which is extremely good for me.
I started of to quick and just kept to that pace 1 minute a mile quicker than race pace.
Feel good though, away golfing tomorrow and then get another 10 on Sunday.
10/05/2013 at 19:38

I decided to take adversity head on and go ahead and do my 10 miles.  Unfortunately adversity carries a big shovel and smacked it in my forehead round about mile 3.  

Then out of nowhere good old second wind grabbed hold and I went around in 8.30pace which I was happy with.

Oddly, the shingles only hurt when I stop running.

Curry and beer tonight.  The best cure for all ills known to man.

Happy running peeps.

10/05/2013 at 19:53

A cheeky 12 for me tomorrow - it feels so nice not having to go beyond 15 until the race day. Last weekend I had to quit at 17.5 but I was heartened when my wife quit the next day after 2 miles as it probably means by hat we've had a bug. Hope everyone is fit for the 26th

11/05/2013 at 20:19

Hi Sweatysock, I had a bout of shingles just before a trip to Nice the other year. Before I went to the doctors I felt really down and sore, but it was odd when I found out what I had it kind of took the weight off my shoulders and after a weekend of good French Red Wine I felt super!

Not that I would be advising lots of French red wine so close to the marathon

Eighteen miles for me in the morning and then into the taper....still a bit unsure what to set my pace at...

Cbo
12/05/2013 at 19:03

All these pre marathon set backs. I went out in Lyon for a run managed a crap slow 4 miles!!!!!! Before heading back to apartment....been sick with a cold since ;-/ so will try and do 14 tomorrow if well enough if not will have to put off till Tuesday which means I'll drop it down to 13 miles as will still need to do 12 on Sunday. Ok so clearly my 'taper' has gone hay wire.

Nick you may be on. I think I'll run a few miles at 4 hr pace and I will soon feel weather I think it's a pace I can sustain given conditions etc.....Anyone else up for a 4 hr group or getting a 4.15 group together??

12/05/2013 at 22:17

Cbo You're on. Good luck with the cold. I'm down to 8 miles next weekend as my knees are feeling the strain. Scots oats will get us round

13/05/2013 at 09:32

Any experienced Edinburgh runners ?

I ran last year and there was no wind at all, it was warm though !

When the wind get's up does it tend to be in your face on the way out or back in ?

I ran on a Kent sea front yesterday and the last 11m was into a strong head -wind and it got me thinking.

Any ideas ? Thanks  

13/05/2013 at 11:52

Hi guys, really enjoyed reading everyones posts, tips, and personal achievements. I've really struggled to break the 18-20 barrier in my training, although I know I have plenty left in the tank when I finish a long run. Going out to do 22 tonight (maybe tomorrow), then wind down till the race. My excitement is starting to outweigh my nerves which is positive.

This my first marathon so I've no idea what to expect on the day, any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tony  I

Cbo
13/05/2013 at 12:37

Welcome Tony. Not sure if I already posted this but last year before Paris ( my first) I did my training with the Nike foot pod thing and realised a week from the race that it wasn't calibrated correctly! So my longest runs, which I thought was 18 and 20 miles, actually turned out to be more like 17 and 18.5. I only ran 15 times a month for the 4 month programme, and not really tempo or speed runs .....but the adrenaline on the day and running with someone got me around in a time I was delighted with. I'm sure you'll be the same. Good luck with your run, though it sounds a lot to be running this close....I know I needed every bit of my taper last year. C

13/05/2013 at 12:56

Welcome Tony. Excitement building. 

Andy, I've done 8 Edinburgh marathons now and never really been bothered by the wind. Many people have complained about headwinds on the 9 or so miles heading back West. What they've forgotten is the 17 or so miles with the wind behind. It is also possible to get a bit of shelter from the trees / bushes on the landward side. More of a problem (5 out of 8??) has been too warm even right on the coast. A nice sea breeze would be good? 

10k accelerator last night in gym. 10k tempto done tonight also in gym. Too hot, smoggy and trafficy outside, but bored of gyms already. Give me a coastal run into the wind anyday!

13/05/2013 at 13:06

Had a super trail 16 miler on Saturday morning with a progressive-recovery 10k last night. Resting today with a bit of core tonight to keep my mind occupied. Nice tip about the shelter Hillheader - I'll bear that in mind on the day.

13/05/2013 at 14:08

Hi Cbo, thanks for that response, the training programme I've used says that a 22 mile run should have been ran on Sunday (yesterday), I know once I complete that it'll give me the confidence I need as I know i've broken the 20 mile barrier.

Youre right, I know that on the day the adrenaline & occasion should add a few miles to the legs.

13/05/2013 at 19:02

Great to read your journey so far. Good luck everyone.

I'm in search of advice. My husband is running the marathon and taking a taxi to the start. My plan was to meet him at the end with the kids in tow. I tried to book some park and ride tickets from the website shop but the site is a joke, errors all over it.  It says £3.50 for the 2way journey, then only allows £8 per ticket when adding to basket. There is no child ticket option, and no one way option for my husband to return with us.

I have emailed edinburgh marathon and messages them by Facebook but they haven't answered me.  I was hoping someone here would know what goes on a with the park and ride? Can I take the risk of turning up with no ticket and pay on the day?

any previous experiences or better information gratefully received

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.