Edinburgh Marathon

381 to 400 of 514 messages
22/05/2013 at 21:36

Cbo. Mega queues for loos! London road has lots of bushes - inc. 'womens' bushes! Not sure about Regents. 

That's a bit unfair asking this to be your last. Running can be a bit selfish at times but no worse than watching TV or playing on the Xbox etc. 

Dave, weather is looking good. 4deg and sleet here in Aberdeenshire. 

22/05/2013 at 21:49

Hi guys, only my 3rd post on here, I'm looking for someone to put my mind at ease for sunday, my excitement is now outweighing my nerves, I've been running since last July, began my marathon training in January, the furthest I've gone is between 17-18 miles.(numerous times). I'm a new father so have found it difficult to commit hours to my training.

I'm curious as to whether experienced marathon runners think ill cope with the extra 7-8 miles.Im fully aware of the pain, the determination it requires, and the discipline it will take to push myself to the end. Youre feedback and advice would be greatly appreciated guys.

P.s all the best to everyone taking part on sunday you're posts have been so helpful and very inspiring.

I

22/05/2013 at 21:57

Anthony, starting back in January with several good long runs banked; you should manage just fine. Many people have completed marathons with much less. Just enjoy the experience and don't get carried away at the start!

22/05/2013 at 22:08

Thanks for that response, I needed someone with your experience to re-assure me i'd be "ok",

My intention is to start off VERY slow, just to be sure I've got plenty in the tank for the last 10.

Good luck

Cbo
22/05/2013 at 22:09

Hillheader bushes are good. The Q's at Paris were ridiculous so I go when and where I need to go . I actually saw one women in the bois de vincennes going about half a mile off course to go to the park's loos. As I mentioned before I'm not that vain.

My hubby was concerned about my 'age' as well. I'm 38, and when I said Marathons an onder persons sport there wasn't much scope there...We also have very busy lives. It was more a systemic comment rather than specific. He certainly knows what I'm like when I'm not running, and that isn't as good as when I am. Part of the reason I decided to try these forums was because I have to train alone and no one here shares my passion for running, so this forum has been great to actually get my head in a space where I am getting excited and focused about the challange ahead.

Anthony firstly congratulations on becoming a new father!! Daunting and exhilerating at the same time. Secondly I wish you the very very best of luck for Sunday. What a great achievement getting any training in at such an intense and demanding time in your life.

22/05/2013 at 22:41

anthony - you will be well prepared.. i ran last year with only doing a couple of 15s and one 19 mile run..the last few miles were tough but the support from the crowd was great. enjoy the day and good luck at fatherhood.

23/05/2013 at 08:01

Thanks Emma, makes perfect sense, same sort of area as me - hope it holds out for you, I'm sort of growing accustomed to my lump now but will definitely be getting it checked properly after the Marathon!

CBO - Backing up what Hillheader says in that loos are not great at Edinburgh, not enough and always mobbed (and that's just from my 1/2 experiences) however there are plenty places to go along the course. You're definitely not old (as you're younger than me  ) but following from your previous post and Nell's comments that's excactly the reason I get up early to run so I can keep everyone (semi) happy! I have two young sons and by the time I get back midweek they're just getting up (along with wife!!!), it's only really an issue for 20 or so milers at weekends when I get back a wee bit later and if the kids are not behaving then it suddenly becomes a selfish hobby etc etc. Guess there's just got to be a bit of understanding and compromise on both sides. My wife knows how running benefits me but she also knows I can be a miserable arse when things not going to plan - like now  

That said, I feel much better today, woke up at half 4 for some reason, birds were singing and sun was shining. Cold felt almost away so threw on the gear and went for an easy 4 miles. Felt good to get a run in and foot "behaved" although a wee bit tender and sore now but what's another 22 miles?!?!?

Anthony - congratulations, you've done well to get that amount of training in with a wee one! You'll do great, you'll be surprised at how much you will have done compared to others who have missed due to injury / undertraining etc. Good luck!

23/05/2013 at 08:22

Miggito - you are lucky you can get up that early for a run. Im up at 5 for work so couldnt get up any earlier. Most of my runs are done after 7pm when kids are in bed.

Hope my training hasnt been compremised cause the last 4 weeks have I've had an injury then  illness. Oh well, what will be will  be.

looks like the weather will be quite cool...

23/05/2013 at 08:39

Final "training" run completed last night, last of a 3 race 5 mile series at Gt Yarmouth - couldn't resist going for an over 50 PB - which in doing 37:09 I did by 50 seconds!  Complete rest now until Sunday morning.

Cbo
23/05/2013 at 10:15

Iain I think we are in the minority of people wishing the tempretures down that day. latest Met office puts it at 15 deg at 13.00 and 16 at 16.00. Not ideal, but not as bad as it could be.

Robin Congrats on a PB, that must feel good going in to Sunday . Well done.

Miggito- If I ever do anything like this again ( at mile 21 I swore blind last year NEVER again), I would have to rework my schedule. It is a selfish hobby, but the only way I can cope with a husband who works away a lot, my work commitments and a 3 and 7 yr old who have an intense school life with LONG holidays (also no school in France on a Weds).

Wise words spoken by many- I know of quite a few who have undertaken a marathon without 'adequate' training. One was a guy my husband worked with in the UK who was running for charity but injured himself 17 weeks out. Therefore, he hadn't actually ran 1 mile in the 16 wk lead up ( he cross trained etc, but NO running) and he still did a decent time .. AS my dad often says ( maybe to make me feel better I can never do all the training), it depends on your 'tank' if you've got it you've got it, the rest training makes up. So I'm guessing we will all be ok on the day.

Now I'm waffling.....nerves.....got to catch a plane.

23/05/2013 at 10:54

Cbo - Since most of my training has been done in the winter id prefer the cooler temps. Last year was a killer they said it was 26 deg out on the course. I hope to be finished by 13:00 anyway if everything goes to plan. just not looking forward to the 8hr car journey upto edinburgh with 2 young kids. oh well will be good to see the folks again..

23/05/2013 at 11:13

12 degrees would be better than 16, but sunshine, and a very light cooling breeze off the sea makes the forecast almost as good as it could possibly be!  No fighting strong winds or lashing rain on this one by the look of it.

23/05/2013 at 14:15

Really excited about running my first marathon and making my first trip to Edinburgh this weekend. I have a question, which I hope isn't too daft, but I'm a bit worried about my pre race breakfast....

We're staying in a the Tune hotel which is a budget hotel across the road from Haymarket station - I don't know if they have any breakfast facilities and if not, I'm not sure what my best option will be. Will there be loads of places in the city or near the hotel where I can get my hands on a bowl of porridge and a couple of bananas on the Sunday morning, or should I look into other options? I have bought myself one of those porridge snackpot things, so if worst comes to worst, I just have to get some boiling water from somewhere (there's no kettle in the hotel room!)

Cheers for any advice!

Edited: 23/05/2013 at 14:25
23/05/2013 at 14:39

Hi worzel1889... Malt loaf is a good source of Carb, the soreen ready sliced is good, you could always take some with you and if worst comes to worst eat that!

23/05/2013 at 15:16

That's a great shout. I'll definitely be packing an emergency malt loaf, along with a few bananas. Cheers for the suggestion!

23/05/2013 at 16:43

i keep marathon morning breakfast fairly light (probably cup of tea & toasted bagel with jam) + it's also good to get it in 2-3 hours before you run. I usually pop an immodium around this time as well, just to be on the safe side..! 

23/05/2013 at 17:44

Yeah that was my main worry really, getting out and finding something early enough to give it plenty of time to go down. As it goes, I've just been leant a travel kettle so I should be OK to sort my porridge snack pot out in the comfort of my hotel room! 

23/05/2013 at 18:59

Fully psyched up for this now, I've been following this thread for a few days for some last minute motivation. 

I suffered badly here in the heat in 2010 and dragged myself to the finish in 5:35, had an even bigger shocker the following year in London so I'm returning with avengance this year and hoping to break the 4 hour barrier!

23/05/2013 at 19:32

Kevin - Edinburgh has been hot on many occasions for the marathon last year especially - hopefully cooler this time and you have a better race. Running faster means you are out for less so should be easier!!

I struggle to eat much for breakfast but agree with Elliot - 2 or so hours before running is good - easy enough for this late start. Portable porridge pot sounds like a great idea.

Well done Miggito on your early run.

That sounds like a tough ride Iain you have planned - best of luck. The marathon will be a doddle after that.

My cold definitely receding now. Should hopefully be gone just in time. 

23/05/2013 at 19:42
Hi All

Last run done tonight,then its load the car in the morning and a 6 hr drive up to
Edinburgh.
Can't wait.
Good luck everyone.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.