Edinburgh Marathon

501 to 514 of 514 messages
24/10/2013 at 21:29

All those who have ran this before. Whats the logistics like? Am I best parking in park and ride and using shuttle service or getting a hotel near city centre nd leave the car in hotel car park? 

04/11/2013 at 12:32

Hi James, am also stepping up to full distance for Ed 2014, my times aren't as speedy as yours but they're not massively different (1:57:40 in Ed Half 2013, targetting 1:55:00 for next Half in Dec), so I'll look forward to sharing some training progress chat on here.

Am afraid I'm not much help on the travel side.  I've done the Ed Half twice, both times I paid a vast amount for a central hotel so that I could walk to the start point, and I bought a bus ticket to get back to the city centre afterwards but was fortunate enough each time to meet friends and get a lift.  I've again bought a bus ticket for 2014 and we'll see if this is the year I finally use it!

Sorry this isn't much practical help to you, maybe this new post will trigger additional responses, either way you'll definitely get more sensible advice as we get closer to race day.

04/11/2013 at 17:57

I live in Edinburgh, and will run it again next year. I suppose if you are travelling to the city you would be best to leave the car at the hotel and get a bus ticket back to the city centre. If you are travelling with someone and they are driving, there is always somewhere to park in Musselburgh. My wife parked 10 mins away from the finish down by the theatre in M'burgh earlier this year with not much of a problem.

05/11/2013 at 22:14

Excellent guys thanks for the advice. Im looking forward to it. Just trying to decide how to get to and from the race. I live in Newcastle-upon-tyne so have even consider ed driving back the same day.

07/11/2013 at 09:15

Why not just get the train James, straight into the centre of Edinburgh and a nice journey along the East coast.  Also, you could keep the legs moving on the way back ;0)

08/11/2013 at 11:04

Another good shout. But I will be travelling up the morning of the marathon. Not sure I will get a train that early?

19/05/2014 at 19:29

Hello everyone,

I have just read this thread with great interest. It's really nice to see how much everyone enjoyed their marathon experience.

I am running my first marathon this Sunday in Edinburgh (oh dear!)

I just cannot seem to find any information for spectators! 

From your experiences last year could anyone let me know the best places for people to stand? 

Is it possible to cross over the route at any point i.e. to support at mile 11 and then again at 24? 

Any advice/tips you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks

Clare

19/05/2014 at 20:24

There's a spectator's guide available online here:

http://www.edinburgh-marathon.com/documents/www.edinburgh-marathon.com/emf_2014_spectator-guide_low_for_web.pdf

As the route from mile 9 to the finish is an out and back, spectators can stand almost anywhere from Musselburgh Race Course onwards and will see you twice.  Some of the route has barriers at the side, but from memory, spectators could cross from one side to the other at parts.

Good luck!

19/05/2014 at 20:26

Ah ok interesting! So there isn't a barrier or anything in the middle, its literally one road with people running in two directions?

Thanks for the info  

20/05/2014 at 14:40

Can anyone recommend anything for breakfast on Sunday morning that I can make before hand and eat in my room, I want to eat breakfast at 6am so not sure if the hotel will be serving breakfast that soon,

20/05/2014 at 16:51

I had the same concern so have been training on long runs with a bagel and peanut butter for breakfast ~2 hours before, and a cereal bar or banana an hour later.. seems to have worked so far, but I am a marathon newbie so will have to wait and see!

20/05/2014 at 20:54

I normally have 4 slices of wholemeal toast and jam 4 hours before with a banana 2 hours before and then a bottle of lucazade around an hour before.

22/05/2014 at 16:02

Looking at the weather forecast, it'll be light rain al Sunday morning.

25/05/2014 at 16:42

Think the halfers got soaked. 

I was expecting rain for the full marathon but it stayed off for the whole race and only came on once I was getting my bag from the trucks. Good stuff.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
501 to 514 of 514 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.