Edinburgh Marathon

81 to 100 of 514 messages
20/11/2012 at 21:35

I'll have a look-see what local running groups there are near me then. I've thought about running with a group before but always been a bit apprehensive that my pace wouldn't allow me to keep up, especially with being quite new to running. I don't suppose it'd do any harm to find out.

malindi bailey wrote (see)
Oh & grae....how do you fit all that in & still find time to post on forums?

There's always room for procrastination.

20/11/2012 at 22:24
I'm a leader at our group & am probably one of the slowest. If they don't welcome you with open arms move on to the next one.

I have to say I'm feeling a little ...oh I don't know...deflated? Edinburgh will be my first ever marathon, the same distance as every other marathon & yet because its not London people seem less impressed. Is anyone else finding this?
21/11/2012 at 07:44

I found that last year! but as I organised a group of 15 of us to go up to Edinburgh for the weekend and sorted out hoodys for us all the deflation didn't last long!!

21/11/2012 at 09:02

Grae... well done on your weignt loss, thats amazing, you certainly sound determined enough to complete a marathon and all the training that goes with it! good luck

21/11/2012 at 12:13

Thanks Rdrunner!

23/11/2012 at 17:24
Hi Grae
Go for it!
Well done on your weight loss, I too lost copious amount's of belly bulge and had to replace my entire wardrobe.
This is my first Marathon, and I have only done half marathons with the odd couple of 10k's.
I'm not as knowledgeable as the other guy's and Gal's on this forum,but if you can lose 5 stone in weight then you will have the determination to achieve your goal.
I wouldn't rush into your training or even worry about a completion time,, just go with the flow on your training plan and the long runs will soon come enough.
I'm just building a good base at the moment with my running in preparation for my plan which take's effect around January.
But anyway well done for taking up running and the very best of luck to you.
26/11/2012 at 17:31

Cheers Gary. My plan starts on 11th December so I've just been doing some light running a few times in the last week. I'll keep that up until the the training proper begins in earnest. The plan I have has a guideline time based on the training schedule so I guess it makes sense to work towards that. Good luck with your training. I'll hopefully read about it between now and May so I'll save the race good luck wishes til nearer the time!

28/11/2012 at 19:48
Looking at running edinburgh marathon it would be my 1st marathon is it a good one to start with ran the Glasgow half last year and the edinburgh 10k times were 1.38 Glasgow 42mins edinburgh what time should I be looking at doing the marathon only been running for 6 months been more into cycling but now got running bug
29/11/2012 at 13:42

Craig - it's a very good marathon. Plenty of people but not too many was my experience. I will definitely do it again at some point. With another sixc months training behind you you should be capable of quite a bit but depends on your age and how much you can commit timewise.

If you have a cycling background then your aerobic base should be sound. If I were you I'd think about looking at the sub 3:30 thread (or even the sub 3;15). You'll get all the advice you need on those forums and there are some fantastic runners on there who will be far better placed to advise of your potential.

Good luck - go for it!

29/11/2012 at 13:50

I did my first marathon in Edinburgh this year and enjoyed it.  The crowd support was good but boy was it hot!  I carried 2 litres of water, drank the lot and took water from the stations as well as umpteen energy gels!  Apparently the year before was cold and windy so be prepared for either set of conditions.  I have to admit that gravel in the woods at about 20miles was a bit of a shock...  The organisation was great, no complaints there from me and Edinburgh is a great city to visit.  I love my medal and t-shirt and there's nothing like crossing that finishing line and declaring to the world that you are now officially a Marathon Runner!

29/11/2012 at 16:23

Hey Elizabeth! It was my first too and I so agree with you the feeling is amazing! Very emotional I cryed and hugged a runner I had been with since about 20 miles!!! although the water station before the hill up to the woods dryed up before we got there!

02/12/2012 at 15:22

Hi guys this will be my first marathon doen a few 10k runs, trying to train between work ( india ) and home west yorkshire, todays run wa smy first ever 10 miler 

06/12/2012 at 21:28
Hi Edinburgh is my first marathon, excited and nervous . Respect for all of you and good luck. I'm up to long runs of 13.1 with not a bad time of 1hr33 but secretly hoping for sub 3 hrs for the marathon . 6 months to go so with a lot of training who knows. Good luck everyone, and if anyone from Helensburgh is running and want a training partner let me know
09/12/2012 at 10:35
Hi everyone I'm also doing Edinburgh and am currently trawling through all the training plans....as recommended on this forum had a look at asics. I like the idea of 4 runs weekly as I like a bit of cross training. Also last year had to drop out of Prague due to injury and I put that down to overtraining at 6 runs per week. I'm currently running about 4 times a week including runs of 10-12 miles and would like to do sub 4. Wasn't going to think about training plans until January but feel I would like something in place. How's training going for everyone else?
11/12/2012 at 22:29
Hi Janie and everyone else.

Training isn't going to bad, just waiting for the full training plan to kick in before I really concentrate!!
I have just got a road bike from my cycle to work scheme for the extra training on the days off.
I could do with some advice on a good diet, as mine is not the best and at 13.5 stone could do with losing a few .
I really hope you all are doing well and I hope you keep in touch on this forum.

Merry xmas to you all and dont eat to many Mince Pies Lol.

Regards
Gary
14/12/2012 at 16:03

Hi all, just started following this thread - I am signed up for my Edinburgh marathon which will be my 6th 26.2miler, looking forward to the opportunity to go for a PB (3:24) which I did in Berlin over 2 years ago and failed to get close to it at VLM and Halstead this year despite training very hard last winter/spring.

I've used (& recommend) Hal Higdon training plans all the way through my Novice - Intermediate II. I might change tack slightly for next year though as I'm also venturing into the world of Ultramarathons and doing a 48 miler in August which will be my first, very nervous about that but Edinburgh will be good training for it!

@Gary - have you looked at 'Eat and Run' by Scott Jurek? I've just started it and will try and improve my diet over the coming months based on that (perhaps after Xmas!) - he's an amazing Ultra runner.

cheers.

Edited: 14/12/2012 at 16:10
16/12/2012 at 18:39

All, I've entered Edinburgh too, and like a few of you, it'll be my first marathon. Got fed up with not getting into London and can't afford the time to fundraise for a charity place, so thought, sod it, enter a marathon, and Edinburgh looked appealing! Also was speaking to a bloke in Runner's Need who said as Edinburgh is in May it gives you an extra month of training, esp when wintry conditions set in.

I've entered 2 half marathons: York (Jan) and Reading (March), and am doing a lot of park runs and a monthly 10km at the mo.

Sounds mad, but I'm looking forward to it?!!!!!!!!!......

19/12/2012 at 17:09

Hello to Everyone,

Well its back to Edinburgh for me for another bash at it.This will be my fourth attempt. Last year i had my first DNF at the distance so will be going back to make amends for it.

Have had an enforced layoff from running after breaking my arm and dislocating my shoulder so i am starting from scratch and am now into my second week of the pre marathon training programme on the Edinburgh website. Anyone else doing it ?

Gary i am reading Nutrition for Marathon Running by Jane Griffin which is full of good advice. If only i could stick to it.

Good luck to everyone and especially all the first timers.  

19/12/2012 at 19:50
Hi

Just ordered the Jane Griffin book has lots of good reviews....thanks. Will start reading it after christmas.

I'm jumping between asics schedule and Hal higdons not quite sure yet but will have to decide soon!!! Any advice greatly appreciated.
21/12/2012 at 09:56

Asics plan for me simply because I have the ASICS app on my iPhone which reminds me when to run and logs them automatically. Seems like a decent plan as well.

Time will tell!

81 to 100 of 514 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.