Edinburgh Marathon

141 to 160 of 514 messages
20/02/2013 at 13:07

Thanks Rdrunner for that info regarding the GFA entry....hadnt realised that!!! Well, all the more reason to get under 3.50!

Maccydee, im no expert but id put ice on it and rest for sure.....if its that bad id probably get someone to look at it.

20/02/2013 at 15:26

Thanks Janie, it's got worse as the day's gone on... I'm feeling very dejected at the moment

21/02/2013 at 17:22
Maccydee
I feel for you also, I'm in the same boat as I have just had a setback with my knee.
I don't know what has caused the injury but I'm feeling sick as a dog not being able to get out.
Rest it is.
I hope every one else is doing well
21/02/2013 at 17:52

Hope you both get a speedy revoery - Gary and Maccydee. Frustrating I know. I was laid out for 3 months last year and still feel very close to injury again.

Still, 16 miles gently last night and a planned 10 tonight - moonlit ascent of a local hill with club - currently snowing gently and no moon in sight.

I'm not doing the rock and roll this year as only 4 days after a marathon. I did it last year and it was excellent. A much better course than the marathon albeit with a few hills. The organisation was good and some excellent bands along the way. The last mile down the royal mile is brill - if you have the energy left.

21/02/2013 at 21:02
Well, I've been to a minor injury unit today, and there's no tear or rupture, which is good, although I left on crutches which isn't good... Ho hum
21/02/2013 at 22:40
Aw no!!!! Did they tell you what the problem is and how long to recover?
21/02/2013 at 23:00

Ouch. Any estimate on recovery? Do you swim?

22/02/2013 at 00:16
No not really, anything from weeks, as in two, too weeks as in 12, seemed to be the vague response when I asked. They told me that they thought it was tendonitis.

I don't swim at the moment, do you think it will help?.

I'm gutted but relieved that there's no tear or rupture which would have been far worse.
26/02/2013 at 16:31

Still laid up with the injury, I'm off the crutches and feel much better so I'm hoping to be able to a little (couple of miles) at the weekend or early next week.

Just hoping that having two and a bit weeks off injured hasn't ruined my chances of completing it. Let's hope I don't have a reaction to my first run back either..

26/02/2013 at 16:53

Take it very easy Maccydee. Treadmills are good - softer and you can stop at slightest hint of problems.

Some ski touring on Saturday for me. Very icy. 10 mile run on Sunday, 7 last night. No speed though.

How are others getting on with training? 

26/02/2013 at 18:39
8 miles on Sunday and 12 last night back out tomorrow night and 20 miler on Friday or Saturday. All going well so far, getting a sports massage and doing lots of stretching in between runs seems to help.

I feel for anyone who is injured......been there many times and it sucks.

Can't believe we are into march end of this week!!!!
27/02/2013 at 11:25

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd join this forum as I'm also doing the Edinburgh Marathon and could do with some support along the way (I think my boyfriend may leave me if he has to listen to anything more about my knee injury/ breakdown of my training plan etc ...!)

I've done London Marathon before and quite a few halfs, and now ready to take on the marathon distance again...

I've only been back to running for 2 weeks after a skiing injury (bloody snowboarders!) stopped me training for 4 weeks. It's still niggling, but gonna give it a go and see what happens.... slightly worried that I'm behind on training already but there's not much I can do about it now!

Sounds like you're all doing really well already, and hope those injuries are getting better, sooo frustrating I know!

Look forward to getting to know you all through the ups and downs of the next few months!

Jess xxx

01/03/2013 at 21:05
Hi All

Well its only 12 weeks away......OMG as my daughter would say.
Just back in training today as my knee is kinda better now.I think I over done it on this Insanity cardio workout on YouTube.

Completed a 5 mile run in 50 minutes without any pain so I did the right thing resting.
The worst thing about resting is , I always thought that i'm falling way behind on my schedule and that my fitness levels are going to suffer.

But I have found this time around though with a challenge as big as a Marathon
is that my Focus has inproved. I no longer think to myself "well i'm 40 miles behind schedule, I must up my mileage" I now think to myself "Stick to my schedule and keep going.
Im sure being a week behind in my schedule is nothing in really.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense to every one,but if you have been injured along the way then you probably know what im talking about.

I'm glad that everyone is still in touch on this forum and I hope all is going well.
I have noticed a lot of you doing really well and are in the high teen's already.
My longest so far is 14.7 miles which is the furthest I have ran in my intire life, but the 17 mile runs are creeping ever closer.
Good Luck and I hope you all stay injury free.

Welcome Jess.

It was very strange when i was out doing my five miles the today, I looked in the sky and there was a big orange thing that was very warm......
Goodbye winter....
Edited: 01/03/2013 at 21:08
01/03/2013 at 21:29
Good to see your back Gary.....!!! An easy build up and you will soon be back on track.

19 miles today .....legs felt heavy from word go but managed to do it anyway!!

Yeah was so nice to have the sunshine for today's run.

Thinking of doing the rock n roll half in April....anyone else doing that?
04/03/2013 at 09:31

Gary and Maccydee, hope your injuries are healing nicely, dont worry about a couple of weeks off, sometimes the rest does you good and you come back feeling refreshed!!.  I got a pb in half marathon yesterday of 1.40.26, havent been getting any where near that time for 5 years so well chuffed. looking forward to focusing on the full marathon now and getting some good long runs in.  Hope everyone elses training is going well

04/03/2013 at 10:28

Hi everyone.

Gary I know exactly what you mean, I had a month off, but when there's not much you can do about it you just have to stay optimistic and persevere, and maybe readjust your goals. (Mine has changed to under 4 hours, which would still be great to, about 4.15) I doubt many people go through marathon training without some sort of illness/ injury!

Janie, you're getting the long runs in early, what time ar you hoping for? I'm following the hal higdon intermediate plan, and will be doing 14 this weekend coming, but still a few weeks away from the really high mileage. This week was a 'cut back' week in the schedule, so only had to do 9 (felt a bit guilty considering I didn't have that much to cut back from but nevermind!)

Rdrunner, that's a great half time; should stand you in good stead for the day. I'm doing Hastings in a few weeks, which is where I got a PB of 1.46 a few years back. No way i'll beat it but would be happy with 1.50- 2hours I think. The Hastings half is an annual family race (v. sad I know), so the competition usually gets us all slightly better times than normal!

04/03/2013 at 10:38

Hi Jess,

Im hoping for under 4 hours but 3.50 would be great!  I did Edinburgh 2 years ago (my first marathon) and done it in 4.09.  I only did 2 or 3 long runs in preparation for that and this time round wanted to have 5 or 6 long runs under my belt.....so starting the long runs early means i can do alternate weeks ie 18-12-20-12-22-12...I feel like doing long runs every week kills me mentally and physically so think this could work...but hey who knows!!!

And Roadrunner that is a great half time!!

04/03/2013 at 12:24

Hi Janie,

Yeah that sounds like a sensible idea, I bet the 12 miles seem easy in comparison!

Do you run your long runs considerably slower than marathon pace? In my previous marathon I think I ran them all at marathon pace which would explain why I was so knackered all the time! But also anxious about doing them too slow and not being able to maintain MP on the day....

How was Edinburgh last time you did it? Heard it's good but v. quiet in places.

04/03/2013 at 13:26

Jess,

Running the long runs at 9 min miles which is a 4hr marathon so im near enough running at my target pace!! Not sure if thats the right thing to do or not. My pace doesnt change much to be honest for 5k 10k half or full!!! 

Its a good course but yes can be quiet in places, the finishing area could have been better organised but maybe thats improved!!  The start is downhill which is great!!

I signed up for Prague last year but got injured and couldnt do it.  Was gutted.  So back to Edinburgh this year and trying to get the balance right....want to get to that start line in one piece..!!

04/03/2013 at 13:42

Haha, I'm generally the same, can't alter my pace much, whatever I do!

I think I'll try and not worry about it and just run at a pace that I can maintain that feels comfortable, and if I'm feeling especially tired I'll try and hold back a bit.

My friend did Edinburgh last year and said she didn't realise the finish was so far out, and she had to walk 6 miles to get a bus! Not an ideal way to finish the day!

141 to 160 of 514 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.