Edinburgh Marathon

161 to 180 of 514 messages
05/03/2013 at 19:20
6 miles to get a bus?
Does anyone know if the finish area has car parking facilities?

I'm staying at a hotel in between the start and finish, so would like my wife and littlies to be able to see "Super Daddy" at both ends lol.
05/03/2013 at 19:40
I don't think there is parking facilities at the finish line. The shuttle buses are about a 20 minute walk away. My daughter wasn't keen on the walk to the bus after a long day.
06/03/2013 at 08:26

Well she said 6 miles (but perhaps there was an element of post- marathon delirium?!) It does seem a little excessive.... I think her main point was she didn't realise how far out the end was from the city centre, and she recommended for me to arrange a taxi or someone with a car to pick me up. Luckily my brother- in - law to be lives there, so will try and persuade him to fetch me from the end!

06/03/2013 at 14:22

Ive just purchased for my birthday a Sony Walkman NWZ-W273.  I like running with music but find it a bother with the ipod and wires and earphones that fall out....so hoping this is the answer!!!

06/03/2013 at 21:13

I'm doing Edinburgh as my first marathon and I've also signed up for the R'n'R as a training run.  In the last couple of weeks I've started to get very nervous and have lost  faith in myself.  I had a really horrible run on Sunday, when I mapped it, it was just over 14 miles but my nike+ said 16, which isn't helping me :S

Anyway, I did the half last year and it's about 20 mins to walk from the finish line to the park and ride where the bus to Edinburgh leaves from, not ideal when you're tired. There were local buses a bit closer to the end, but you couldn't use your pre-booked tickets on those.  The area round the finish seemed to be just as well organized as any other that I've seen, so I'm hoping for the same again this year

15/03/2013 at 06:14
Hi Ultraviolet

I know how you feel.I have been using Asics mobile app,and the difference between that and mapmyrun is round about 1-2 miles.
When I think about it, if I map my run using (Mapmyrun) it maps the roads and not where I am actually running(Paths ect).
I guess that over a difference of 10-15 miles this could just well add up to the actual difference.

I hope this makes sense.
Another thing you could try is to enter a half marathon to really gage your time over distance.

Good luck in your training and I hope you continue to use this forum.
Regards
Gary
20/03/2013 at 13:27
I'm researching alternatives to the official race buses back to the city. Do you think it will be difficult to get a taxi? From what I gather online it looks like catching the train from Musselburgh wouldn't be too bad an option, but I can't find out if anyone actually has any experience with this.

Also, is anyone else here doing their long runs way slower than expected MP? I run about 50 seconds per kilometer slower to keep my heart rate in fat-burning zone, which I read is sensible but now I'm thinking maybe I should practice longer MP runs?

In all my 10k and half marathon races I have been running comfortably at what I would have regarded an insanely fast pace in a training run. Apparently I react strongly to andrenaline or mental pressure?
21/03/2013 at 15:06

[Wrong thread]

Edited: 21/03/2013 at 15:06
24/03/2013 at 12:27

Hope everyone's training going well?

I would plan on getting a bus from the finish, but parking is available by a supporter if you are willing to walk a mile or so and be persistent in looking. Many roads will be blocked and the rest are always busy. Buses are simpler I think - or even the train.

People managing to get out in the rough weather? We've had snow on the ground now for probably over a month now. Bitter wind and driving snow the last few days. Big drifts. Getting out though and good training for my arctic marathon in 2 weeks time. The weather is causing slow running though.

24/03/2013 at 12:43

If anyone has done this before, if the race takes me between 4 and 4.5 hours, what are you chance of making a 5.30pm train out of Edinburgh?

24/03/2013 at 14:11

hi guys! Bit of a late comer to this party, hope you don't mind me popping my nose in! First time marathon runner here doing Edinburgh in May. Watched my gf do it last year and was inspired to take part this year.

I completed the Great North Run last year in 2hr 21mins and im not a natural runner at all, but figured no time like the present! Im 6ft and 18st 2lb and usually play rugby but ive "retired" at the age of 28 to focus on doing the marathon.

Training so far not too good! I do 2 long runs a week Tues and Thurs, last week I did a 9 (1hr 30mins) and an 11 (1hr 57minutes) miler, this week im going tor a 14 and a 12miler , with a 5km "park run" down whitley bay. Im doing the park run 5km in 29minutes, consistently.

I am aiming for about 5hr30 marathon.

Anyway good to see so many others doing weel, and I shall look forward to seeing you all in MAy!

PS my gf is doing the relay this year after doing it is 4hr 24mins last year!

24/03/2013 at 15:02
Hi Adam and all.
Adam if your running those sorts of times then I think you can achieve below 5hrs.
I'm hoping for around 4:30hrs and my training is at 14 miles in 2:20.
My Asics training plan is guiding my pace.
I'm not really bothered to be honest as it's my first marathon,I just hope I can finish it.
Good luck and keep posting.
Regards
Gary
24/03/2013 at 21:48

PipG, you should have no problem getting a 5:30 train. Get the train from Musselborough to Waverly. Regular trains and only about 15 mins to Waverly. Finish is about 3/4 mile to station.

Glad to see you transition to running Adam!

25/03/2013 at 08:48

I've just checked the trains and they are only every hour on a Sunday.

25/03/2013 at 08:57

So I would probably need to get the official bus.  I've heard it's quite a trek and can be a wait for the bus but does anyone know if a 5.30pm train out of Edinburgh would be cutting it fine?  I'll be booking it so if I miss the train, i am screwed!  There are a few later trains but they get back in to London really late.  

25/03/2013 at 12:56

PipG, i did the marathon 2 years ago and its not too bad.....the Q for the bus seems daunting when you approach it but it doesnt take long to go down as the buses leave one after another!

Training has been tough with the weather ive had a few gym sessions but forced myself out last night in the wind for a 20 miler.  Stuck to 9 minute miles and done it in 2.59. Still felt like i could have done more so thats good. Havent a clue what my pace should be for the marathon dont want to push too hard and burn out!!

25/03/2013 at 14:15

Hi Janie, I also braced the high winds on Saturday and did a 20 miler, I live in quite a hilly area and so it is difficult to try and maintain a set pace and ended up doing 8.30's which is probably too fast as this is the pace i want to try and do on the day and i understand training runs should be slower.  my legs were pretty sore afterwards though but fine the next day.  Hope everyone else's training is going well, we are on the countdown now!

25/03/2013 at 14:49
So you're going for a 3.30 roadrunner? I am thinking 3.50 or maybe 3.45. Still plenty of time for a few lsr's to see how it feels
25/03/2013 at 16:02

I'm in now, I got a place today.  After a series of pi** poor luck, I hope I get to run this time.

I was supposed to do Edinburgh last year and on the Tuesday before, I got a stomach bug and couldnt keep food down until the Monday after the race.  I have a place for VLM this year but I was knocked off my bike by a dog 2 weeks ago and haven't been able to run since.  I am hoping Edinburgh buys me some more time.

I think I'm due some luck!!

26/03/2013 at 16:16
Hi All

Did a half marathon on saturated in 2:17 mins which is on track for my target.
Today was a different story.I thought I would go and do a 20 mile+ run,but when I got to 15 miles I was knackered .
The weather wasn't great(Very windy and cold).So I had to do the last 5 miles running and walking.

When I got home my legs were really sore and I was tempted to give up my place this year.
After a nice hot bath I thought to myself that I may have over done it with the run Saturday and today.
I'm not sure if i was a bit dehydrated, I went out with 4 gels and 1 bottle of powerade ( Is that enough????). I don't think so.
It took me 3:30 to complete the 20 miles, but i'm sure I can do better.
Any advice will be great.
Janie and roadrunner keep up the good work.

I'm of for a lie down I think lol.
161 to 180 of 514 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.