Emergency 6 week schedules

Any novices following this plan?

21 to 40 of 86 messages
15/03/2005 at 12:03
Sproog - I'm not a morning person either, but find that if I can allow at least an hour between getting out of bed and setting off then my legs cope okay. Read somewhere, probably Runner's World, that it takes around that time for your body to realise it's awake, or something like that. Anyway, it allows time for the caffeine hit to set in.
One advantage of doing morning run is that it's out of the way for the rest of the day and you don't have to have that nagging feeling that you still have to do a run. Not too good if you've got a hangover though!
15/03/2005 at 20:37
i did 50 mins yesterday at 6am. Will do an hour or so tomorrow morning. Then 1hr 30m on Saturday. Finding it ok so far. Certainly feeling i'll be able to get round, all things being equal.

Happy to meet at start and run with anyone who'd like a bit of moral support - good idea Lyndylou.
15/03/2005 at 21:01
Hello all, just come back from my 45 min run(20 mins at 10 mile pace) Im also finding it ok, Football tomorrow night then run on thursday and friday then a nice long run on sunday. Im up for meeting people at the start, good idea, What times are we all hoping for? im between 4 and 4.30ish. Two weeks ago i was close to pulling out, now i cant wait.
16/03/2005 at 09:08
If anyone wants to get round (and walk the next day) try the runners world pacing groups - they have people in most of the pens. I did last years FLM for the first time using the "run/walk" method. For the first 12 miles was paced by runners world chappie who ran 6 mins, walk a minute. - this averages out at 12 minute mile pace with a finish time of 5.15-5.30. The reason I "lost" the group was due to queuing for facilities - but the first half of the race was good and by keeping with the pace being set I had some energy for the second half. Also there was no trying to keep up with those that are faster at the start. I would thoughrily reccomend the pacing groups as with the anticipation of the day, the support and the adreneline rush there is a tendancy to think we can all run at Paula's pace
16/03/2005 at 10:35
Lyndylou, thank you for your response. I'm not sure I can handle getting up an hour before doing my run in the morning. I have enough issues getting up with enough time to get me to work! I am definitely not a morning person. But maybe if I allow myself a little more time for the warm up, my legs may appreciate it a bit more.

Anad thanks for that Shirl. I was wondering whether it was a good plan to use the pacer group, and I think you have just sold it to me!
It would be great if they would stop for you whilst you used the "facilities" too!
16/03/2005 at 16:05
Hi everyone - off out for 45 - 60 minutes tonight. Fist ime for just over 2 weeks. Wish me luck. will let you know how I get on.
Know what you mean Shirl. I too was with the run/walk group from the Red start last year and lost it after the loo break at around 8 miles. They decided to try and make up time and I couldn't keep with them so let them go ahead.
Did eventually finish in just under 7 hours having helped a lame duck I met at 10 miles complete her first ever marathon. That made my halo shine for a while!
Hope I can do better this time.
16/03/2005 at 16:40
OOOOOOps - looks like the old fingers are not working too well. I meant "first time" for just over 2 weeks. And now look at the weather. Been warm and sunny all day and when I have just over half an hour to go before I can set off it's decided to pour with rain!
Ah well - out comes the wet weather gear. Just hope I'm not too rusty after all this time off. Ha ha (rusty - rain - get it?)
16/03/2005 at 21:59
Lindy Lou you are the first person I "know" that finished after me- what are you hoping for this year - I'm holping for less than 6.30 but I'll be happy to finish.
17/03/2005 at 09:02
Morning everyone - Didn't get my run last night after all. Had a good excuse though - my grand daughter was born!!!!!!! Beat that for a good one!
Off out now for an hour though.
Thanks for those words of encouragement FBGF. Just want to get round AGAIN. My best time is 5:20, so it would be good to do something like that again.
Bye for now - will let you know how I fare after nearly three weeks off.
17/03/2005 at 09:17
Lyndylou & Shirl the Girl,
Now you've done it !

Generally I just plod around at approx 11-12 min miling. My original race plan for the FLM was to do just that just plod all the way round with no walk breaks.

The other week I was floored with the flu which made a bit of a dent in the training regime (I had stuck to the RW sub 5 hr schedule). Since getting back to the training, my legs have felt like lead and now I am wondering would it be better to take the short walk breaks (never done this before) or do I continue and try and plod all the way round. All things considered, if you reckon the GYR's time is around 5.15 any way, would it be better to follow this ??????
Can anyone please advise ??

Cheers!
"2 Sheds"
17/03/2005 at 10:01
Congratulations Lyndylou!
I'm sure the elation of that helped you get round on your run. How did it go?
I did my hours run this morning. Again the legs really didn't like being used at that time but it was such a beautiful morning it got me through. Off to find some breakfast now..
17/03/2005 at 11:27
I'm back safe and sound - Managed to do 4.89 miles at an average pace of 10:43 min/mile according to my good friend and partner Garmin.
Think I overdid it on the outward run though as am absolutley k*******d now. Had to cut the run short as had to collect two of the other grandkids from creche and now have them with me for the rest of the day - no rest for the wicked.
Had hoped to do a gentle 3 miles tomorrow and try a couple of hours on Saturday or Sunday, but will have to take it a lot slower I think.
By the way FBGF - there's one person who's definitely slower than us - the man in the diving suit!!!!!!!!
Was put off using the GYR pace group after last year's experience, but might give it another try as am definitely in better shape this time and should be able to keep up okay. It would be great to do under 5:30 and the good thing about being with the group is you're not on your own as you soon get chatting to the others.
Now off for a shower and hopefully the little ones with have a nap so grandma can have one too!!
17/03/2005 at 11:39
HELP - NOW I KNOW IT REALLY IS ONLY 4 WEEKS AWAY
I've just opened my post and my registration form has arrived.
My number is 11866 which means I will be starting at the Blue start. Probably from pen 9 as that's the slowest pen number and that's where the GYR group will be.
Anyone else got theirs yet?
When's everyone registering. I'll be going along on the Saturday and staying overnight in London. It wasn't bad at all last year. Got there around lunchtime and was straight up to the desk for my pack.
Don't forget to indulge in the Pasta Party. It's really good value.
17/03/2005 at 11:57
Hi guy, and a big congratulations to you Lyndylou.

I'm new to running and this will be my first marathon. I'm doing a mixture of the novice and intermediate plan. Started training around last November, however, been bugged with knee problems and I hate to say it, having trouble giving up the horrid cigarettes. Managed to do the Berkhamsted half marathon a few weeks ago with a time of 2hour 29mins. My furthest run (with a lot of walk breaks) was about a month ago and I managed to do 15.5 miles.

I was hoping for a sub 4 FLM when I started however, that is out of the window, so I'm now just aiming to get around in one piece and hopefully enjoy the experience.

I got my race number last night too. I'm 43691. So I'm at the red start I think. The reality of it all is now setting in and starting to get very nervous. I hope we will all get round!
17/03/2005 at 13:46
2 Sheds - you can always start with the run/walk "get you round" pace and if you feel great at 15 or 20 miles pass all those who went off too fast. You can always get quicker but if you burn out too soon it will be really demorolising having other pass you.

The father of one of my colleagues ran the London Marathon a few years back - 13 miles in 1 hour 55 (fastest ever 13 miles) and finished the whole race in 5 hours 30.

17/03/2005 at 15:07
I agree with Shirl - it feels really good all the time you are passing other people. One good reason to start at the back. It's also really demoralising when everyone starts passing you and the marshalls are clearing everything away as you go past. Especiallly when the "drop out bus" is travelling along side you!
Start slow and gradually build up depending on how you feel.
One good tip I find works - take a Pro Plus 2 hours before the start, another one about an hour before and then carry dextrose tablets and suck a couple of those very 2-3 miles washed down with plenty of water. That's what I did when I did 5:20, but forgot about it all til this year and it worked when I did my half marathon 3 weeks ago.
I also take the Lucozade drink but make sure I have water at the next station to dilute it. All that energy drink and jolting around plays havoc with your bowels towards the end - and the loos are few and far between at the finish!
17/03/2005 at 17:03
Number 32583 and at the green start.God, I'm really nervous now- Lindylou CONGRATULATIONS- how can you possibly look like that and have grandchildren- you've uploaded your daughter's photo haven't you?!!!
17/03/2005 at 17:31
Thaks FBGF - flattery will get you everywhere - in fact she's my 7th grand daughter and my 10th grandchild - how's that for a golden oldie!
18/03/2005 at 09:28
You guys have convinced me. I've been bugged with an injury in my right leg, which has blown my training plan to bits. Was considering pulling out but now I'm going to do the GUR group and just enjoy the day.
18/03/2005 at 10:37
Blue start Number 21076

It's getting reeeeeeeeeeeeeal !

will definately take the advice and start in pen 9.

Take it nice & steady for the first 20 miles and then see what happens.

Cheers All !

" 2 Sheds "
21 to 40 of 86 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.