entry fee bequeath

15 messages
12/08/2002 at 15:28
if you bequeath your london entry fee,do you think you have a better chance of gaining entry?
WildWill    pirate
12/08/2002 at 15:51
Bequeathing your London entry fee, is not about having a better chance of getting in, its about helping charities – although those the bequeath and fail do go forward to a second draw for 1000 places

Will
12/08/2002 at 16:08
Hear, hear and you also get a free FLM fleece. ;-)
12/08/2002 at 16:11
Though if i didn't get in, I wouldn't want the fleece, cos I wouldn't have 'earned' it!!! Bequeath for the charity not the fleece (for those of you not lucky enough to be fleecy by nature!!)
12/08/2002 at 16:30
i agree that the charities benefit,but,if i want to give £25 of my money to charity i will decide who i give it to...
12/08/2002 at 16:40
Im running a half marathon on sat 7/9,then a half-marathon on sun 8/9..
any idea on how to pace myself so im ok after my first one?
Iron SwissBobby    pirate
13/08/2002 at 07:46
Which half marathons Billy?
WildWill    pirate
13/08/2002 at 08:51
Billy

I recently done 3 runs in a 24 hour period as part of a coats-to-coast relay team, not 1/2 marathons but still long runs – I fond the key is not the pace but what you do in between the runs:

The key
1) Do not to let yourself stiffen up: plenty of stretching and ice treatment
2) Replenish energy levels: eat lots of small high energy meals between the runs

Finally, when you have completed both runs take plenty of rest

Good luck

Will
16/08/2002 at 07:40
There's a guy who has run four marathons in 22 days. Paris, London, Rotterdam and then Sheffield.

http://www.realrunner.com/ukandeurope/fundraiserotmpage.htm

Goodness knows how he managed it!!
02/09/2002 at 15:27
I have a twisted theory that if you say no to bequeathing the FLM entry fee then you are more likely to get in as otherwise no monies at all can be distributed to charity!
05/09/2002 at 12:13
I have heard Alex's theory as well.

Personally I think its a bit of a myth as I know an even number of people who have been accepted and rejected from both scenarios.
07/09/2002 at 22:48
I got accepted for 2002 from the ballot for people who bequeathed their entry fee.

Most people are doing London for Charity, so the loss of the entry fee for a second chance of getting in is worthwhile IMHO.

Anyway, I was injured last time so will be in the 2003.
27/09/2002 at 01:10

I wish the London Marathon people would stop calling it a "bequest" of the entrance fee, year after year in their literature.

If you make a bequest, you are dead. That is the meaning of the word "bequest": a gift on death.

They should call it "gifting" your entry fee (or something similar), not making a bequest.

I have no intention of making any "bequests" for many years if I can avoid it!

27/09/2002 at 15:07
Never thought about it like that R4YL. Good point. I didn't "donate" my fee this year either, but will donate it to my favourite charity instead, if I don't get in.
27/09/2002 at 15:46
Nessie

Why not see if your favourite charity or one with similar aims to your favourite charity has any guaranteed places - then you could try to get in that way if unlucky in the ballot. They'll get more money that way.

Then if the charity you run for is one of our member charities you can build a free sponsorship web page for them.

Good luck

Free sponsorship webpages for the London Marathon.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
15 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.