Evening running

FLM

17 messages
23/09/2003 at 18:10
I have been doing all of my running in the evenings after work as this best fits into my lifestyle. I had a sudden worry - what if it's really hot on marathon day???? Should I think about changing my long run day to the weekend for this reason?
23/09/2003 at 18:19
Hi Lisa, me again.

I try and do my long run setting out at the time the marathon starts. I work shifts so I can do this during the week so keeping weekends free for family life.

However, it is unlikely (but possible) that is will be really hot on the big day.

If I were you, I would do your long run at the weekend otherwise you are going to be doing very long runs in the evenings in the winter in the dark.
23/09/2003 at 20:54
Thanks Fat Face - obviously this is what I was doing before i managed to injure myself and what I was hoping to get back into. I will set aside Sunday mornings from now on !!!

Im very new to this site, but you lot are great !!!! Thanks
23/09/2003 at 21:41
We are also very mad.
23/09/2003 at 21:57
i can live with that ! Must sort out a piccie though !
24/09/2003 at 14:34
and a silly name
24/09/2003 at 14:52
Fat Face - You say it is unlikely to be hot?? This years race was probably the hotest to date - the tired legs were painful but not as painful as the sun-burn. There were also many people sufferig with the heat, I myself saw at least 3 people receiving treatment!!

I would suggest doing the long runs at the same time as the marathon ie 10am Sundays. However, the problem here is that you should have all your long runs out of the way by mid-march which is still winter so it is unlikely that you will be able to train for the potential heat of mid April.
24/09/2003 at 15:11
Depends what you describe as hot. On average, in the UK, mid-April is unlikely to be hot.

As as said before, it is unlikely (but possible) that it will be hot.

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/climate/uk/averages/19712000/areal/england_s.html
24/09/2003 at 15:51
Thanks guys

I scribbled down a basic training programme last night and according to this, my final long run is scheduled for 22nd March - like you say BigBob, hardly a potential heatwave month!
Yikes, I suppose I had better start praying for a cool day! I can't believe I used to sit at home watching the marathon (before I started running), thinking how lucky the runners were to have such a lovely sunny day to run on!!!!
A definite couch potato mentality !!!
cougie    pirate
24/09/2003 at 17:02
We have had an amazingly warm year this year. I've been brown since April really with all the good weather.

It's fine to run at night if you have to, but as FF and BB say - do the long runs at a similar time to the race itself. And remember it always seems warmer London way than up in the North !
24/09/2003 at 19:34
lisa
Being fair skinned myself I always take suncream and a white mesh hat whenever I do the London since about 99 I think that year was hot as the water stations ran out for the not so quick runners best to be safe then sorry only ever got rained on once in 7years
my training is done after work all starts about 6pm would suggest a long run on Sunday
with the nights getting darker
good luck with the training
25/09/2003 at 12:55
Lisa,

heat did play a big factor at this year's FLM. I remember vivdly standing at the start, looking up at the sky (blue without a single cloud) with the sun already fairly strong and thinking how so many people would be disappointed with their times.

The thing is that I'm not sure you can really prepare for a hot day, only compensate ie drink more fluids, wear suncream etc. If you have a time to hit, I would use this as a motivator to do that extra bit of training to be as sure as possible that you get in on target.

It helps psychologically if you afford the luxury of a sun holiday about six weeks before D-Day, because you get back and think "bloody hell, Britain is cold!!!"
25/09/2003 at 22:56
oooooo, what a lovely excuse for a holiday somewhere hot - good thinking !!!

Seriously - im not worried about my time, just finishing and feeling i gave everything i could. I only started running last january with the soul goal of running the london marathon (i will go thro a charity if necessary). It has always been an ambition of mine to run it. Everything was great until we hit the hot weather, my legs felt like lead and my face was a rather disturbing beetroot colour after just 3 miles. I gave up running in the day and started in the evening - much better (then i got injured, but thats another story!), until this years FLM was a hot one and NOW Im getting worried !!!

I will start running on Sunday mornings as i begin to put the mileage and hope we havent seen the last of the nice weather (still like the idea of a holiday though !!)
26/09/2003 at 13:53
Like so many have said the problem with a race in April is that the weather can do pretty much anything (I remember my first London in 98 where the weather was around 10C, then it chucked it down when I was around 16 miles and I froze!)
As Paddy said the ideal scenario would be a holiday away beforehand in a hot country so that Britain seems cold.
What made it worse about the 2003 FLM was that before the race and before the greatest warmest summer I can remember, it was actually quite cold. Indeed I can clearly remember threads on this forum a few days before when it was predicted that it would snow on the raceday! So to go from around 3-4C a few days before to 20 odd celsius on the day made it seem particularly bad.
26/09/2003 at 16:00
this years FLM was 2nd hottest in it's history.

most people trained in cold weather with little sun (dark evenings etc) - I don't recall running in temps over 12C. it got to 20C on a very sunny FLM day.

that's why heat was a major factor for most runners this year - we were just not used to it.
26/09/2003 at 16:34
Lisa - (I'm not stalking you) -
I would try to do your w/e runs at the same time that the race is going to be...this will get you used to how you feel and run at that time of morning...as well at eating so early before you run too..
26/09/2003 at 17:13
I like many others actually enjoyed the weather in last years FLM. If definately helped me to run my PB.

Defo better than my other FLM in 2002 when the weather dropped in temp half way round.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.