Fancy achieving a world record at the London Marathon ?

221 to 240 of 303 messages
11/03/2011 at 12:13
seren nos wrote (see)

London has evolved form the first days...............good job or people like me would never be allowed to run it................

Why? Are you an alien or something? As far as I know EVERYONE has always been ALLOWED to run it from the very first race. Or did I miss something?

seren nos wrote (see)

It was only 1984 that women were allowed to run the marathon in the olympics for heavens sake........as they were not strong enough to cope with the rigours.........times change

And what has gender got to with it? If that is just an example of how times change then it is a bit odd to use an example of how times have changed for the better to justify a situation where times have changed for the worse. Unless, of course, you believe that all change is good and should never be questioned?

seren nos wrote (see)

as long as people are exercising and having fun then what on earth is the problem........if you are fast enough you should never even see any of them..............

Or more to the point, if people are exercising and having fun what on earth is the benefit of having to be surrounded by attention seekers in fancy dress?

Where does running competitively=fast, fancy dress=slow come into it? You need to understand what competitive running is about - it encompasses a huge range of age groups across a huge range of abilities.

seren nos wrote (see)

Until running gets the money of football and some other sports then we will not have the level of champions that we used to have .....full stop............. not VLM's fault...........

Complete and utter nonsense. How did we have the level of champions that we did then? If you think competitive athletes do it for the love of money and wouldnt put in the effort otherwise then I'm lost for words.

seren nos wrote (see)

I do agree with the caterpillar being wrong though.......impossible for it not to impede people in the race.........

Good

seren nos wrote (see)

I also object to the guy 3 years ago carrying some balloons and was only wearing a minute thong..............it took me a very long time to get past him.............I seemed to be running straight behind him for ages..............before i could bring myself to overtake.........

Perv

seren nos    pirate
11/03/2011 at 12:26

I continue to disagree with you parkrun on this matter........apart from the last point

and in the early days how many middlegaed housewifes did you see running slowly in the marathon...........we would not have thought it was possible..................the london marathon has made it possible for many people to think that they too could run and get fit.................same as RFL hasin its own way........not everyone continues and gets fit and continues running.......but for all those who do and it helps change their lives then its worth it

11/03/2011 at 12:28
Cake !
11/03/2011 at 12:29

I think the problem (for me) with this debate is I can see the points made by parkrunfun et al (sorry to single you out, but you posted last) are pretty sensible and rational. But emotionally I just don't quite agree with your position. Does that even make sense? 

Anyway something else I was musing not really sure it's relevant....would you have a problem with a runner in fancy dress if they were just doing it for fun and not for charidee?  Lets assume for the sake of arguement they were 100% not going to get in the way of other runners.

11/03/2011 at 12:45
seren nos wrote (see)

I continue to disagree with you parkrun on this matter........apart from the last point

and in the early days how many middlegaed housewifes did you see running slowly in the marathon...........we would not have thought it was possible..................the london marathon has made it possible for many people to think that they too could run and get fit.................same as RFL hasin its own way........not everyone continues and gets fit and continues running.......but for all those who do and it helps change their lives then its worth it

And the second to last! Two aint bad.

Middle aged housewives? I'm not sure how you'd define 'middle aged' or how you're supposed to know that a runner is a 'housewife' (is there a certain tell tale running style? ) but  what a daft statement (with all due respect). Of course there were women of all ages, of all abilities, of all shapes and sizes......what makes you think there wasnt?

You really havent grasped what running is about in all honesty. If you havent done so already, then get down to your local parkrun.

Every Saturday morning at 9am, at 60+ venues across the country something in the region of 8,000+ runners gather to 'race' over 5K. Ages range from 5 to 95, abilities are as wide as you could possibly imagine, people are free to actually compete and run fast if they wish without being sneered at, people are free to run competitively at whatever is their own level without feeling out of place, people are  free to jog round and have a chat, people are free to take their first tentative steps into running without feeling any different to anyone else taking part.

And whether you finish first or last you are treated in exactly the same way with a 'tag please, well done' when you finish. No egos, no oneupmanship....at post event coffees nobody would know who won or who came last and nobody cares.

More to the point it is a regular activity that represents everything that is good about grassroots running and encouraging people into the sport and a great place for advice and encouragement.

If you think that it is attention seeking fancy dress 'look at me' runners who represent what running is all about then we'll have to agree to differ I'm afraid.

seren nos    pirate
11/03/2011 at 12:54

Parkruns are one area where i will definitely not argue with you.........the best things since sliced bread...........

It has also helped me with all my speed training this year.i love them......................

But as its not well known to those outside the running community or to those who live near one......it doesn't have a great potential to bring people into the sport

and yes middleaged housewifes are easy to tell............and all the pictures I have seen of the early london marathons.........were mainly all men and virtually all the people taking part looked liike runners..................no middle aged spread and grey hair to be seen ...............same as the local running clubs here at those time......filled with good male runners and not much else..........( I know because a lot of them are still running and in their older years are enjoying talking and running to the younger women)

11/03/2011 at 13:00

parkrunfan, while I agree with a lot of what you say, just check seren out before you go much further.

You might find, for eg that she runs park runs as part of her mara training. 

And that she's one of Forum Six. . .

I think it's fair to say that she has grasped what running is about in all honesty.

Just sayin' . . .

11/03/2011 at 13:01
Not that you couldn't stand up for yourself, seren, just that you'd probably be too polite to say anything.
11/03/2011 at 13:15
parkrunfan wrote (see)

Middle aged housewives? I'm not sure how you'd define 'middle aged' or how you're supposed to know that a runner is a 'housewife' (is there a certain tell tale running style? ) but  what a daft statement (with all due respect). Of course there were women of all ages, of all abilities, of all shapes and sizes......what makes you think there wasnt?

As an aside, VLM keep data on the number of housewives who run. Depending on how long they’ve asked the question for you could track how open the race has been to them over the years.

Good comparison with park runs. I find the problem with these debates is they tend to polarise with people arguing for the marathon to be the preserve of the five hour fancy dress runner or the sub 3 club runner. I do want a race that is open to a wide range of abilities and running histories, but with the caveat that people should take it seriously. And to me a mark of seriousness is more how many wet and miserable 20 milers you’ve run, not necessarily your final racing gear.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/03/2011 at 14:17
seren nos wrote (see)

But as its not well known to those outside the running community or to those who live near one......it doesn't have a great potential to bring people into the sport

I'd disagree there.  They may not do much direct marketing, but when people who know I run ask me about it I do suggest parkrun as an easy way to try an organised event rather than just running alone.  The local running shop (run by a certain pirate) runs beginners courses for women (many of whom are middle aged housewives) that culminate in a parkrun.  OK, maybe some of those were inspired to start by watching a marathon, but many wouldn't get beyond wishful thinking without that stepping stone
11/03/2011 at 14:42
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

I'd disagree there.  They may not do much direct marketing, but when people who know I run ask me about it I do suggest parkrun as an easy way to try an organised event rather than just running alone. 
Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

I'd disagree there.  They may not do much direct marketing, but when people who know I run ask me about it I do suggest parkrun as an easy way to try an organised event rather than just running alone.  The local running shop (run by a certain pirate) runs beginners courses for women (many of whom are middle aged housewives) that culminate in a parkrun.  OK, maybe some of those were inspired to start by watching a marathon, but many wouldn't get beyond wishful thinking without that stepping stone

But are they not already in the running community?

BTW Bristol parkrun starts  in April, with tests runs on 26th March and 9th April and hopefully going live on 23rd Spril

Edited: 11/03/2011 at 14:43
Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/03/2011 at 15:11
musketeer wrote (see)

But are they not already in the running community?

The running shop obviously is, but the folks on the course are beginners.  I don't think anyone's suggesting a parkrun would be the first time someone pulls on their running shoes.  Some people like to keep their running relatively low key at first, and parkrun is a great way of having something to aim for without the razzmatazz of RFL, for example.

seren nos    pirate
11/03/2011 at 15:20
and so when new people watch all the amazement of the london marathon and think i could do that .........they get on the internet and hopefully find the parkruns
11/03/2011 at 15:40
I'm doing the Park Run tomorrow dressed as a pair of centipede testicles in a Bat Man outfit wearing an Elvis wig
Cheerful Dave    pirate
11/03/2011 at 16:23
Nah, I'm going to go along and suggest to everyone that we'd all have a lot more fun and find the true spirit of the event if we all chained ourselves together.
11/03/2011 at 16:31

We did have a guy with a fridge on his back at MK parkrun

Is there any cake left?

11/03/2011 at 16:37
M...eldy    pirate
11/03/2011 at 16:43
Ultra Sparkly Bridget wrote (see)

We did have a guy with a fridge on his back at MK parkrun

Is there any cake left?

My colleagues son ... has done IM with the same fridge

*not the same guy Jeepers
Edited: 11/03/2011 at 16:44
cougie    pirate
11/03/2011 at 16:44
Even the swim ?
11/03/2011 at 16:45
Jeepers wrote (see)

parkrunfan, while I agree with a lot of what you say, just check seren out before you go much further.

You might find, for eg that she runs park runs as part of her mara training. 

And that she's one of Forum Six. . .

I think it's fair to say that she has grasped what running is about in all honesty.

Just sayin' . . .

I think it was taking in the spirit it was intended (or hopefully anyway?)

On the parkrun front, I did say 'if you havent already'

and the 'grasping what running was all about' was in direct response to the comments regarding fancy dress being a big part of attracting people to running. Thats all.

Anyway, just to throw some facts into the equation, the number of women in the early London marathons were:

1981 330 (4.3%)

1982 1,393 (7.7%)

1983 1,677 (8.5%)

1984 3,210 (15.2%)

So there was nothing wrong with the early tv coverage in terms of attracting women into the sport, in just 3 years there was a 10-fold increase in numbers and a 4-fold increase in the percentage of the field they comprised. Pretty impressive growth figures.

The women's times ranged from 2:21 to 8:25, so a complete range of abilities.

221 to 240 of 303 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.