Fancy achieving a world record at the London Marathon ?

261 to 280 of 303 messages
19/04/2011 at 14:06
Its definitely them - theres a whole bunch of people dressed alike........looks nowt like a caterpillar though.
19/04/2011 at 14:08

Maybe they went into pupa stage around Embankment and going down the Mall they were flying!

(This is my second caterpillar joke in a week.)

Taxi!

cougie    pirate
19/04/2011 at 14:09
7 hours 40 ? Thats a long day at the office.
19/04/2011 at 14:09
Oh no, the other one was a centipede wasn't it.  Ah, whatever...
19/04/2011 at 14:13
Phil
19/04/2011 at 14:17

I saw this and thought of you all No idea if it's them?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/273426/Gallery/caterpillar.jpg

19/04/2011 at 14:21

Can't remember much about the caterpiller - they were 2 abreast and walking at mile 17 - walking very slowly I might add.

If that's what you want to do then fine, it's not running a marathon though is it.

19/04/2011 at 14:35
I passed them at about mile 3 or 4, so they must have started quite near the front? They were right over to one side of the road and in quite a neat formation, so not too tricky to get past to be fair, but I was surprised that they hadn't started at the back.
19/04/2011 at 14:44

I passed them at the toilets near mile 6.  They were trying to exit the toilet area but it was very busy and nobody was of a mind to move aside for them.  The front of it edged its way out just in front of me and as I went past some of the middle segments were bitching about the amount of toilet stops and surely everyone could go at the same time

cougie    pirate
19/04/2011 at 14:53
LOL - sounds like a bloody nightmare !
seren nos    pirate
19/04/2011 at 14:59

7 hrs 40............thats a long time to be chained to a bunch of strangers...........

19/04/2011 at 15:01
biker-mouse wrote (see)

Can't remember much about the caterpiller - they were 2 abreast and walking at mile 17 - walking very slowly I might add.

If that's what you want to do then fine, it's not running a marathon though is it.

Biker-mouse, you horrid, nasty elitist, you!
cougie    pirate
19/04/2011 at 16:01
Is there a time limit on these 'world records' ?

7hrs 40 isn't running. I've walked faster Ironman marathons than that. Not chained to anyone though - obviously - although if anyone does want to tow me round a lake in Germany I'd be up for it.
seren nos    pirate
19/04/2011 at 17:44
for the knitted scarf record.............you have a time limit...........i believe it is 6 hours...............so I would think that there must be a time limit..
19/04/2011 at 18:24
Just going to add my tuppence worth...

I got a Gold Bond entry through a charity associated through my employer. I'd missed out on the ballot but desperately wanted to run. I ran through the ballot 10 years ago as a wet behind the ears 19 year old. I scraped round in 5hrs 21minutes. The furthest in training back then was 9miles, I thought that natural youth would see me through... stupid. Hated every single stride as I was run-walking for the last 11 miles.

Anyways, on to this year. I'd been running a bit towards the end of the last year, but stepped things up on January 1st. I joined my local running club, met some great people, read all that I could, learned about different runs and their merits, entered some organised races in Feb and March and felt prepared to RUN the RACE. Not 'DO' 'THE' Marathon. Massive difference think.

I stated a time of 4hrs when I applied with the charity in the middle of last year.
I ended up in Pen 6 at the Red start.
I had a time in my head of 3hrs 45minutes, though I'd told people that 'Sub 4' was the goal. I actually felt that I could run under 3:45 if the weather was kind.

I ran 3hrs 49mins.
I'm a bit dissappointed.

I fought traffic along the whole route to about mile 20+ maybe (Things genuinely do remain a blur). I felt the heat killed me, but the people with 4hr wristbands on and charity vests, walking, from so early on, 7 miles in some cases. The numbers getting quite silly at 14miles+...

Why? Why does that happen? I ran left and right so much, I bumped into people that would grab a drink from a station then stop and walk to drink it, right in the flow of traffic, people were walking 2 and 3 abreast in lower docklands. I don't get it.

I also fail to see what point I'm making... Maybe it's that Charity places are all well and good, fancy dress has a place if it raises lots of money, but why is it not still a running RACE?

Imagine if you could could only start in Pens 1 and 2 (or 3 if needed) if you could meet a certain Half Marathon time qualifying standard. People actually running as per their starting position.

I know I'm a Marathon virgin (I figure 2001 was just silly and doesn't count) but it cant be that hard to keep people happy. Why couldn't all runners with a proven time, 3 months in advance of the expo, go off from the Blue start 15 minutes before the Red? Problem solved.

It really could work for everyone. Prattish people in a conga line can dance around like clowns for 7 hours behind me, hell, I'll watch them from the pub, but it does need to be a running race first and foremost.

In 4 short months I went from entrant to racer. I raced the clock, I beat it, and I'll do so again. I loved the crowds, the noise, the whole atmosphere. I loved my training runs - 20 miles at GALE Valley was brilliant - but London, our Capital City, with nothing but happiness and excitement in the air, people just positive for once... we really need to cherish that and not just accept it as just 'something', it's pretty amazing people...

I dont know how to close, but I'll give one example of how the crowd works for all those saying that the crowd is only there for the fancy dressed folks...

If two runners (non athletes) in vests and singlets, race for the line, people cheer. They cheer both runners to squeeze every single last drop from their bodies and applaud as they cross the line as the clock just ticks short of 3hrs.
If two fund raisers race for the line, one dressed as a womble, the other as a chicken, people smile, they laugh, then clap.

Those are not the same thing, don't ever think otherwise.

Cheers for anyone that stuck with all of that.
Edited: 19/04/2011 at 18:26
Kryten    pirate
19/04/2011 at 18:51

Well apparently it was a record. Only 47 of them though.

Marathon records

At the bottom is a whole list of records set on the day, most of them of dubious worth, but a few good ones. Fastest married couple:  5h 37m 36s - combined time. Fastest marathon carrying 60 lb pack, etc.

19/04/2011 at 18:53
That's a crap bunch of records. I'm going to claim one for first ginger Welshman across the LNM finish line between 3h39m48s and 3h39m50s.
19/04/2011 at 18:54

Brilliant post Lee, and well done for Sunday for a great time, even though not quite what you'd hoped for.

This thread has engrossed me for the past hour or so.... another +1 to what Parkrunfan, and others, have already said.

Ultra AJH    pirate
19/04/2011 at 19:05
Anyone going for a world records starts from the green start, that's why they would have seemed to get away quick
19/04/2011 at 19:25
Lee - Well done on the performance on Sunday and great post!
261 to 280 of 303 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.