Fancy achieving a world record at the London Marathon ?

281 to 300 of 303 messages
19/04/2011 at 19:27
are world records worth anything nowadays, unless they are genuine effort related rather than I'm going to do something a bit weird that no other nutter would want to do
19/04/2011 at 19:39

I noticed the GWR lady at the finish on Sunday (there may have been several GWR people, I dont know) and she seemed to be processing world record claimants like a McDonalds employee dishing out cheeseburgers and milkshakes.......then again, is there really that much difference?

(Except in Philpub's case of course, which was a fine example of athletic endeavour at the extreme of human capability. )

19/04/2011 at 19:51
Heehee!  Thank you prf!  Not forgetting there were 11 others, most of whom ran the London marathon straight afterwards, but I decided to swerve that!  I can remember sitting in the publicity tent afterwards waiting for the Guinness people to ratify the record and whilst we were waiting I was reading the list of records that could have been broken that day.  Absolutely hilarious... out of something like 20 different records, somewhere down in 14th place sandwiched between something like "fastest marathon in full military uniform" and "fastest marathon running backwards" was simply "fastest marathon (Haile Gebrselaisse)" Poor fella wasn't even top of the list!
19/04/2011 at 20:01

Phil - is it just something that I've imagined or does the level of scrutiny, and hence number of hoops to jump through, increase the more worthy the record?

As an example, Mutai's WR? yesterday wont count even though the running world will all unofficially class him as the fastest marathon runner ever.

But, you could have a world record for most consecutive weeks in which a marathon has been run and they probably wouldnt care as long as 26.2 miles have been run at some point in the week - which means that basically all of us could claim a run of 10 years+.

I was being serious about yours being a genuine world record - it would take quite some organisation to get a good enough group together, fitting in with each of their training schedules, to have a crack at it - you may be a world record holder for some time.

19/04/2011 at 20:12

Ah, unfortunately the record went the next year, smashed by a group of crack triathletes I believe.  Looking up the record just now I see there is one for a team of people running on a treadmill wearing high heels.  FFS!  Is there a miimum level of silliness and specific obscurity required to start these things off?  What's to stop me inviting someone from Guinness round to witness me setting the world record for number of press-ups in a minute whilst wearing yellow socks and humming the national anthem?

I'm serious!

19/04/2011 at 20:14
Oh yeah, and hats off to our esteemed team leader (Nick the Stick) for organising it.  There were some fit runners involved but from what I could gather the logistics involved was a bigger task than the running!
19/04/2011 at 20:18

Little I read online gives me as much pleasure to think that these morons were bickering amongst themselves about the timing of their toilet breaks.

"Ah for fucks sake, the guy at the front wants a shit now - why didn't he go a mile back when Doris near the back had to empty her colostomy bag?"

If you had the time of inclination you could work out a system where every finisher could have broken a world record of some sort.  It's fuckin' moronic.

Edited: 19/04/2011 at 20:19
19/04/2011 at 20:19

Ah well, my comment still stands that it would take quite some doing to beat it.........

I dont know - they stopped all the eating records due to the fact it was encouraging unhealthy practices (It did take something like 15 years to come to the conc;usion that eating a light aircraft might not quite fit in with NHS dietary guidelines though ) but I dont think there are any limits on depth of silliness.

Maybe you should test them out. And while you've got the there you may as well do the red sock version as well and become a multiple world record holder.

19/04/2011 at 21:13
PhilP - can't believe it was three years ago! What a weekend, what a wonderful bunch of guys (and RachE) - I still dine out on it and I didn't run a step.

Lee - best stream of consciousness I've seen for a while. So true, and so honest.
19/04/2011 at 21:26
I don't get the Fred Flintstone cartoon character one, surely superman (who ran 4 minutes faster) is a cartoon character?
19/04/2011 at 21:32

Oh please is it not obvious that Fred Flintstone and Superman are in different categories because Fred does not wear any pants and superman wears his over his stride, hence why their in different world record categories....some people

19/04/2011 at 22:48

Obviusly some distinction between cartoon and comic strips

I saw the catepillar walking on the BBC coverage

cougie    pirate
19/04/2011 at 23:59
and captain kirk got the fastest tv character in 3.21 ? Bloody random this is. Ross and Norris McWhirter must be spinning in their graves.

(spinning in grave record currently held by Aaaron P Rickenbacker of Ohio)
20/04/2011 at 07:25

I know superman started as a comic strip but there has been a cartoon too.  Can't say I'm loosing sleep over it, just seems a bit random.

I used to be good at doing a Rubik's cube, could do it in just over a minor consistently, doing 100 along the route seems pretty easy to beat.

Did the people in the caterpillar (looked more like people tied together by bits of string, seemed rather feeble compared to the caterpillar from previous years) detach from each other to go into the loos?

20/04/2011 at 08:52
I think I saw someone carrying a washing machine. Unfortunately he was disqualified as the make of machine was not on the sub 3hr thread's approved list.

More seriously, spending 7hrs 40mins to complete a marathon, if you are not disabled in any way, ie at a pace of 3.4 miles an hour is an insult to the event and everyone who trains seriously for it.

Edited to include the phrase "not disabled in any way"
Edited: 20/04/2011 at 08:55
Cheerful Dave    pirate
20/04/2011 at 09:12
The superman guy seemed to be wearing Ron Hills with the stripe down the side as his 'tights', and he threw up at the end like someone had hung a kryptonite medal round his neck.  Apart from being slightly warmer atire than normal I can't see what the difficulty was.  Now, the guy who used to run as a waiter, carrying a tray with a full wine bottle on it doing 2:50 or so, now there's a record worth having.
20/04/2011 at 12:37
CD - I'm most impressed with Matthew Pariss the MP, who has run 2:32. Not sure I agree with his politics but he's a pretty impressive runner. I think I've heard the same thing said of BR
20/04/2011 at 12:50
Tom. wrote (see)
CD - I'm most impressed with Matthew Pariss the MP, who has run 2:32. Not sure I agree with his politics but he's a pretty impressive runner. I think I've heard the same thing said of BR

Now, I'm in a unique position to compare these two.

MP bought me a pint after finishing London and so did BR after his 2:45 on Sunday.

Thier politics do differ slightly but the main difference was that I had to buy BR two pints first! (something to do with being northern no doubt. Oh and the fact that it was probably 50p a pint when MP did London and many multiples of that on Sunday! )

21/04/2011 at 21:03
How did it go for the running testicle and what record catagory would you put him in
21/04/2011 at 21:41

Fastest clackersack?

previous record was held by John Prescott when he  saw the buffet table at the Seoul G20 summit.

281 to 300 of 303 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.