First Marathon - Please help

I can't get over 15 miles and only 4 weeks to go!!

21 to 21 of 21 messages
Cbo
07/05/2013 at 14:19

Well done Scarlet runner bean!!!

For me when I did my first and to date only marathon last year. I had missed 3wks in the 16 wk schedule due to illness and 4 days before the big day realised my nike ipod thingy for time and distance was out by 8%. I thought I had done 2 long runs around 20 miles when actually it was closer to 18.5. I also didn't have a 3 wk taper but 2.5......I managed to get around the course in a reasonable time and I would say a big thing for me was what I ate. I consumed in trainign runs the most horrific tasting but effective energy gels ( I live in France so they are the european type tubes)...I took these every 5k plus I ate bananas en route that were on offer.

This year planning to do Edinburgh and I have struggled metally to do big long runs in training so split it up with 11 miles with the dog bring him home eat a banana consume a gel/energy drink, then back out for the last 9.. I'm no expert ( far from it) but if you are clocking 30 miles a week that is a good distance in those legs. My only advice is to go out slower on the day if your goal is just to get around and then see how you are feeling with 10k to go......adrenaline will also help I'm sure.

Good luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 21 of 21 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.