First time London not sure what pace i should set?

6 messages
24/03/2013 at 21:55

Hi all, this is my first post but as a newbie to running i have read a lot of stuff on here.

Anyway i'm doing London next month and it will be my first marathon. I've been running for about 3 years and done 4 10ks and one half which was two years ago.

My training has gone well and i have managed to run 3 to 4 times a week every week since November and have felt myself get fitter and stronger. My issue is i don't know what to aim for on the day. I have done to 20 mile runs and have got round in 3:15 and felt tired but not beat. I live in a Wiltshire village and it is a really hilly. The route i do is four laps around the village with about 1200 feet of elevation, each lap as almost 4 miles of steady climb then a down hill at the end. Obvioulsy London is flat so how much quicker am i likely to be able to get round with out having the hills taking it out of me? my midweek runs i am able to run at around 8:30 pace.

Any hints would be usefull!

Thanks

Paul

cougie    pirate
24/03/2013 at 22:48
A recent half would give an idea. It's impossible to say from training runs. We don't know how hard you pushed. It could mean sub 3.15 or up to 4 hours.

What's your recent 10k time ?
24/03/2013 at 23:08
3:30 8 min mile pace, it's flat how hard can it be?!
25/03/2013 at 05:57

It won't be up to you at London.

Unless you force your way to the front somehow, you'll be stuck in the middle of an impenetrable mass of people all moving slower than you.

cougie    pirate
25/03/2013 at 07:53
I'm not sure that's always the case. I did 3.43 from pen6 in my first race there. I don't think the crowds held me back. Pen 6 was pretty much right at the back too.
25/03/2013 at 19:54

Thanks for your replies. My best race 10k was Longleat 10k in 2012 which I did in 52:53. My only half was 2011 which i did in 2:08 i was failry new to running and under estimated how hard it would be and died at 10 miles!

During my long run i was pushing quite hard and felt tired after but have felt ok today little bit sore but nothing too bad. What i have found is the running up hills the distance increases seems to get harder and harder i felt if i could run on the flat i would be able to keep going but the thought of another 4 mile slog up a hill filled me with dread! I guess what i'm saying does anyone know how much hill slow you down complared to running on the flat?

Thanks

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.