All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

201 to 220 of 24,999 messages
02/10/2006 at 13:01
...so here goes!
02/10/2006 at 13:57
Some things never change!!!

LOR, how the devil are you?
03/10/2006 at 11:53
I ran my own hilly 6.2 mile loop yesterday on my own, now my running mates knees are gone, and brought that PB down from 43.50 to 42.56. As you say RD, with increased training, I wonder how quick my time for that run will be in april ?
what did the rest of you lot think on the carrying of wee two n a half pound ankle weights when running> its probably more for my overall fitness rather than specifically for running> kept my finger on shift and now the keys have gone all funny ??
bye>>>
03/10/2006 at 13:29
LS according to the RW Race time predictor, based on your 6.2 mile time, your predicted marathon time would be 3:17:48.
03/10/2006 at 16:24
yeh, give me 3.59 and I'll bite yer hand off !!
03/10/2006 at 16:54
Hi RD.

I managed an 8 mile run this morning and the hamstring didn’t blow up. I’m going to do another 8 tomorrow night and then 10 on Thursday and if all’s well will do a slow 3 hour plod on Sunday before I officially start my taper for Abingdon. Thoughts of a 3:45 are out of the window, but maybe a sub-4 is posssible?!

LoR
04/10/2006 at 13:22
Hi all

new on this thread, i'm 48 and managed my first marathon this year(FLM)bit of a mixed day, late starting as tube got blocked up, so started nearly at back, laces came undone, got them done up again eventually, then timing chip started falling off! i stop and spoke to a kind St Johns person, who found a safety pin and put it back on again, then felt knackered at 20 miles. Anyway managed to finish in 4h 16mins, so hoping with a bit more training and luck, i might just get under 4 Hours,(best ever half was 1h 46mins about 2 years ago) do you think this is reasonable? got to a maximum of 30 miles a week in training for FLM due to a niggling injury to my heel area, i'ts where the achilees tendon wraps around the bottom of left foot, been told i'ts pulling in that area,(the tendon is fine in the normal problem area) i'm trying made up orthotics which seem to help, but not get rid of it, also lots of stretching, same thing, better but still very uncomfortable following morning after a run,) any idea's anyone? i did stop running for a month, but got worse if anything? I wont attempt another half or full marathon until i can get it better. Back to podiatrist i guess?

04/10/2006 at 17:21
Hi NFS

Your Half marathon time does suggest that a sub 4 marathon is possible but do sort the injury out before christmas or you might find the training mileage needed is too much. A podiatrist does seem a good option at this stage. I have been waiting over two months for an NHS appointment and getting a little frustrated.
04/10/2006 at 17:25
Hi need for speed.
I don't think you will have a problem getting under 4 hours if stick to training like you have been doing.
Can't recommend anything for your injury problem except the stretching. You might want to try dynamic stretching you can find it on the web, i found this to be more useful then normal stretching, i think there is also a thread on it in here some where.
04/10/2006 at 17:37
NFS, r u frank Spencer ?!!
For 48, you're times are tremendous, and I now dont have the excuse of old age at a relatively young 37 ! I'm hoping you are 8 stone and the son of a gazelle, coz if you reveal you are a 14 stone hard drinking coal miner, then I'll be all out of excuses !
Cant help you with your aches. My only weakness is an old torn cartliage, but since hanging up the football boots 2 years ago, I haven't felt even the slightest twinge. Good luck to you, and I hope everything clears up and we can all crawl over the finishing line in 3.45 ish !
04/10/2006 at 17:41
Can someone send me ANY character or photo to replace the black silhoette? next to my entries?

I'm useless on a computer.

Preferably a dashingly handsome kilted Scotts Porage Oats style hunk ?
04/10/2006 at 19:43
Hi All and Welcome NFS,

Sorry I can't help with the picture L.S. If I was even the slightest bit technically competent I would have ditched the duck for something more glamorous by now !

Jus , you were right and i was quite stiff on Monday. Now feeling fine, up and downstairs with no sigt problem. Almost tempted to go for a plod but thinking of the longer term.I have a physio appt booked for next tues. Anyone had any experience of ITB ? there seems to be all sorts of conflicting opinions on what's best treatment.

Hope everyone else is fit and enjoying there training.

Hope everyone else's niggles are
04/10/2006 at 20:26
Hmmm not sure what happened then... trying to cook dinner and post at same time - and I thought us girls were s'posed to be good at multi-tasking !!
04/10/2006 at 21:00
Hi Quickquack, glad to hear that your niggles did not last to much past Monday. Can't help with the ITB, have you tried search on here, I have seen the topic come up a few times. Just remember listen to your body and don't over do it, hope your back in the game soon.
04/10/2006 at 21:14
thanks all for replies

little stoker,

thanks for compliments,

frank spencer! bloomin cheek (okay, i did feel a bit like him on the day!)i am a 5' 8''tall, 13 stone moderate drinking T-Shirt printer though, so hardly the ideal running machine! Sports massage bloke i went to see before FLM said i looked more like a rugby player!

Quickquack

nothing wrong with a little duck!......... as for your injury, i had ultrasound and massage, bought new shoes and never had a problem with ITB since

jus

thanks for dynamic thing, will look for that

Howard

We have a school of podiatry here in Northampton, that don't charge, very lucky i guess. Could you find similar?
04/10/2006 at 21:32
Hello everyone,

hi need for speed, welcome mate. You will thrash sub 4. If not for the Frank Spencers hitting you I think you would have nailed it this year.

Glad you fighting fit QQ.

There seem to be some excellent runs going on here! Long may it continue.

LOR - go get sub 4 at Abingdon my friend. Got everything crossed for you.

I am taking tomorrow off to due another 20 miler.Will probably not run then until the dreaded Cardiff marathon. Cant wait to get it out of the way. If I was not running for my dear dad I would have pulled out ages and ages ago!
04/10/2006 at 21:40
Hello peeps :o)

I agree with everyone else, NFS. You almost certainly haven't achieved your full running potential yet, and certainly not your full marathon potential judging by your half-marathon PB. But you need to get your heel injury sorted out. Has your GP or podiatrist mentioned a steroid injection?

LS, I can't "do" pictures either, or I'd have replaced mine with one of a cute green Lego velociraptor that some of my favourite boys made and spent ages photographing in the undergrowth for me.

QQ, glad you're feeling better. I've got an ITB too. I've had painless crepitus in my left ITB since I started running, and it led to me DNFing the Loch Ness Marathon last year. Had some bother with it this summer but stretching had a miraculous effect. It still niggles now and then but I seem to be able to stretch it away. It's God's little joke, for She knows I don't really believe in stretching.

I've just done my last long run before Abingdon. Not analysed the splits yet, but I did around 19 miles in under 2.50 and my last mile was as fast as my second (the first doesn't count because it was almost all downhill). I had a few more miles in my legs when I stopped, but decided not to go over my planned distance. If I can have THAT good a run on the day, sub-4 is going to happen a lot earlier than expected. But it's doubtful because I just haven't done enough long runs.

04/10/2006 at 21:51
V.rap, you are doing everything absolutely spot on. Your last long run was perfect. Do not under estimate your chances. How do you know you aint done enough lsr's?

With plenty of rest now, I think you will find that your best run is still to come. Five weeks before London this year I hammered a 20 miler. Never run that well before or since. I left my best performance out on the training course.

Please, go into the race with lots of confidence. Just take a couple of secs. to think back over your recent 10k, Half. You know you are in good form.

I have every faith in you.

As for your photos chaps. Select your photo. Open in it in photo editor. Resize the document to 100 pixels wide, 120 high. Save it somewhere you will remember. Then in your details, click on change photo, browse then select where you saved it!

Something like that!!
04/10/2006 at 22:10
Thanks, RD :o)

I know I haven't done enough long runs because my 5 longest training runs will have been 19, 16, 13.5, 10.5 and 8.75 and of those only the 10.5-miler hasn't been too fast. Plus a couple of half-marathon races, one of which I intend to do at just a fraction slower than 9-minute miling as a training run but realistically there isn't a hope in hell that I'll stick to that plan when I see everyone else pelting off ahead of me on the day.

But d'you know what? I'm underprepared for this marathon, and I'm doing it as an afterthought, but I'm slightly less underprepared than I was when I did my marathon PB in 2003. And my half-marathon and 10k times have been almost a minute per mile faster than they were back then.

How are you feeling about Cardiff?
04/10/2006 at 22:11
Actually, that's a fib. I've done lots of nine-and-a-bit mile training runs in the past month, but they just weren't my weekly long runs.
201 to 220 of 24,999 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.