FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

24,601 to 24,620 of 24,995 messages
25/04/2012 at 08:11

WOW, ....QuickQuack has found my picture crossing the line in a gun time of 3.58. something. (nearly 3.59) Taking off about 3 min start delay I reckon it's 3.55 something so that's great for me. Not a PB but my second fastest of my 4 marathons.

What a bright eyed QuickQuick .

25/04/2012 at 13:13
Result !!!
26/04/2012 at 12:49

Did anyone go to the Virgin stand at the Expo, I was on my way out and saw they were doing a tombola drum. A kid had just won a little toy or something, the guy asked me if I wanted to try. I pulled out a winning ticket and thinking I would get one of those cheap toy things. When the guy gave me a 250 piece jigsaw with a picture from the start on it, I was thinking it would not be very good, on opening it, it was amazing. No two pieces were the same shape, it had the Virgin heart logo, a runner, water bottle, Big Ben, a running shoe, the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, a wheelchair, the Houses of Parliament, Tower Bridge. I had a good time putting it together.

Just found out I finished a minute in front of Gordon Ramsey.

26/04/2012 at 13:01

Woo hoo, beat Gordon ! He's definitely slowing down - he used to race Michel Roux Jr, but now I think gets hammered by him - he typically runs about 3.30 I think.

My pledge re not doing road marathons has lasted 10 days - just been accepted in the ballot for New York 2012. I absolutely don't intend to race this one, I want to enjoy it.  Will most likely still do Beachy the week before but I'll decide nearer the time.

26/04/2012 at 14:01
Looking at the times, Michel Roux finished around the same time as NFS.
26/04/2012 at 14:46

Hows's everyone recovering from London then?

I did a 7.5 mile club run last night at about 8.30 min miles, and my calf muscles were kiliing me for the first two miles. Just thinking it was to soon after the marathon and all of a sudden they loosened off! . Amazing how a post marathon run can free things up even when you don't feel like it. Only 3 of us ran last night though out of 16 of us in the marathon. Feeling a bit washed out today but ok.

26/04/2012 at 18:00

NFS sorry I didnt know you did VLm too - well done and a recovery run already! I know you did not get your time and that is a bit disappointing but you are a fantastic runner and defo did sub 3:55 from what you are saying.

Might be best to just to look at this way and consider putting it in your records as 3 :55. - You wont really care in a few weeks what the time was anyway - ie 3:59 or 3:49 - its really all the one!  Coming from someone who had to give my number away....the time is irrelevant and it is the experience and memories of running to keep in the front of your mind!  

26/04/2012 at 19:03
I ran with michel for a while and had a little chat. Mrs p fancies him
27/04/2012 at 07:03

Benyo

good to hear from you and thanks for the positive comments. Sorry to hear you had to give your number away. I 've hardly been on here for the last couple of years apart from this year's VLM, what happened to you?, injury I assume?.  You are right, the finishing time isn't a big deal really, but after the build up, the fund raisng, the training then the physical and emotional roller coaster of the day itself, I had mixed feelings for a day or two afterwards. The official finish time and splits are the icing on the cake that you do miss if you don't get it. I also ran past poor Clair Squires just after she collapsed as was recieving desperate attention from the medical staff, and though peacefull, it was clear she was in a very bad way even then. I read that she was aiming for 4 hours and she would have beaten 4 hours had she made that last mile, so perhaps she pushed just too hard?, but I would think it was an unknown problem. I crossed the line feeling happy about my time, but very concerned about the women I had just seen.

As for physical recovery, well I'm amazed this year. I felt better the day after than ever before and can only put that down to more cycling, regular stretching and more 20 mile training runs. Having said that, I was still 10 mins over a PB, and in training this year, never quite found the pace of a couple of years ago, so have to work on that one?. I might try a couple of the 'beachy' type runs next. They look bloody hard but friendly and good fun, and time not such an issue as a road race.

27/04/2012 at 07:04
I saw people from your club benyo, wondered how you were.
Edited: 27/04/2012 at 07:06
27/04/2012 at 07:59

That's the spirit NfS ! You'll also find the recovery from 'Beachy' type runs is even quicker............glad you are feeling tip-top

Light weekend for me, too much other stuff on but will try to get out to break in my nooooooo shooooeeees. Have really struggled with finding a decent pair of offroad shoes - have tried brooks, asics and adidas and don't get on with any of them, so now trying some Inov8 Roclites. Broke my own golden rule and bought them on the web without trying them on, but they seem to fit well at least. Won't really know until I get out in them though. Sure is muddy enough to try now anyway

27/04/2012 at 08:33

OG

good luck with the nooooooo shoooeeeessss. I've heard the Inov8's are about as good as it gets for off road. Too narrow for my kipper like feet though. Like you, I wont be doing much running this weekend. I'm working tomorrow and it looks like it's going to p**s down all day Sunday!. Will do a 6 mile club run tonight though to keep things ticking over. Hoping to do my first '100 miles in a day' bike ride this year, so I'm looking for a mixed ability laid back event in the south midlands to have a go at, and start practising for..... when decent weather arrives???.

28/04/2012 at 10:12

Morning everyone...hope we're all okay

I still have a sore piraformis but hope to take part in our first summer league race tomorrow, 6 miles, forestry centre, so a nice grassy run - think it's going to be very wet and windy.

28/04/2012 at 11:47

Hi Claire

Isn't it quiet on here these days. Used to have a job to get a word in edgeways.

Good luck with that race tomorrow, have you got a snorkel?

28/04/2012 at 11:55
NFS - yes it is quiet...I'm at work today and have just been looking at what challenge to do next...I've got a marathon in June, but I think I'm going to run Beachy again, it's such a great race.  There are 666 places left at the moment.
28/04/2012 at 12:08

.....is that a good omen?

might try Beachy. I've never done and it's a long way from Northampton, but if I can get a car full it'll cut costs a bit.

28/04/2012 at 12:16

Beachy is a fantastic event.  Its a 4 hour drive for me, but if you can make a weekend of it, I would throughly recommend it. 

It is tough, but it's great to run off road along the coast, there is no pressure and there are lots of walkers with their dogs.  The checkpoints are really good too with hot and cold drinks, soup, hot cross buns, mars bars as well as music and pipers!!

Go on NFS...I dare you...

28/04/2012 at 12:44
+1 for Beachy - have thoroughly enjoyed it both times, especially the sausages and mash afterwards!
28/04/2012 at 12:44
phew!!..........right, I'll have a look at the date and see if it's possible?. If so I'll try and get a few nutters from my running club to come with me!.
28/04/2012 at 12:55
An added bonus NFS, it's a Saturday, 27th October, and you get an extra hour of sleep after the event, which is nice!! (clocks go back that night)
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.