FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

24,621 to 24,640 of 24,994 messages
28/04/2012 at 13:52

Claire

That's good thanks. When does it get fully booked by roughly? 

28/04/2012 at 16:22
Best bit is after Beachy you can eat OG's food, drink his wine, then fall asleep in front of his telly!
28/04/2012 at 16:42
NFS I can't remember when it gets full, at least a months before I think

AdyP, will you be doing that this year?
29/04/2012 at 12:15

Afternoon All

I 've just been out to cheer on my friend in the Manchester Marathon - the weather is truly hideous out there . Its chucking it down, freezing cold and blowing a gale - I can only imagine how  tough some of the runners are finding things. I saw my friend who was digging in and just behind the 3.15 pacer ! - Hoping she can keep it up, will find out later.

I've done a couple of gentle social runs this week - 4-5 milers in the country - nice ! but feet still a little sore. Hope the rest of the marathon crew are recovering well.

OG - had a quick look at Beachy...v. tempting... unfortunately a very long way from here ! Hmmmmmm

Any brave souls going out today ?

29/04/2012 at 14:22
Yes I think it will be bad for the slower runners today QQ, a lot of exhausted disorientated people I expect.
29/04/2012 at 19:11
QQ 3 of my club mates ran the Manachester marathon today, they did ok

I ran the rosliston forestry run this morning, it twas more like a cross country-race. I came 2nd lady, not sure how as I had nothing in my legs. I haven't done any speed work for so long. I kept telling myself it wad only 6 ,miles, but it felt like forever!
It was so wet, windy and muddy!
30/04/2012 at 07:52

I ran yesterday - only a few miles to break in the new shoes - Goodness it was wet - perfect test of them though. They are just sensational - the grip is awesome. I ran down one sticky clay track that I'd normally be sliding all over, and never once felt like I was slipping even slightly. Amazing. Not sure how they'll be over a long distance, but looks like I'll be able to find out next week at Three Forts.

You can keep an eye on Beachy numbers on the entry page - they show how many are left.......

30/04/2012 at 07:55
NfS - by the way, the shoes are not at all narrow - that's why I got them........I've got v wide feet as well. The toe box is really roomy (Roclite 319s - sportshoes.com doing a great deal on them at the moment)
30/04/2012 at 19:56

I wear them for the width too NfS.

Where is the 3 farts OG? and how far?  Is it all off road?

30/04/2012 at 20:30

Hi all,

I have had a nice long rest and feel like I want to go out running again. The problem I had with the muscle above the knees, I asked a PE instructor at work if he knew what it could be. He said if you were running it should cause that kind of injury, so I said to him, if I was weaving in and out of people and going from side to side to avoid slower runners, would that do anything. His reply "I would never have thought of that, yes you would get sore muscles, you think of running in a straight line".

I looked on the VLM13 site at 06.00am this morning before work, came home at 5.30pm and it was full.

01/05/2012 at 08:22

TL - yes all offroad. Unfortunately I picked up a niggle on the treadmill yesterday, so doesn't look hopeful at the moment (deja vu - injury the week before a marathon - b*gger). I'm not going to do it if I'm not 100% as I don't want to jeopardise some other events I've got planned.

http://www.threefortsmarathon.org.uk/

Viking - makes sense - it's an unnatural movement.....

VLM is mad. It used to take a week or two, then 2-3 days. Now it's hours (it also said the site would open at 9am, but I checked in at 6am and it was open). I wish people would realise there are soooo many other events out there they could do (apart from Manchester perhaps - have a look at the feedback on RW - disaster !)

01/05/2012 at 08:53

OG/Tigerlily

That's interesting about those inov8's not being narrow. I thought I tried a pair on about 3 years ago and found them far to narrow, like an Adidas fit. Perhaps I'm confusing them with another off-road shoe?. I've tried on several, but never found a comfortable one yet. I'll try them again for width when I see some in a shop.

Claire

well done on your race. Still fllying then, even in the mud with tired legs!

Viking

sorry to hear about your VLM entry thing. In this years VLM, I couldn't be bothered to run round people much (though I had to go up and down kirbs a few times) and I used the ' blocked' times to rest a bit and slow down a bit, and then upped the pace when I was able too, and it worked fairly well. Having said that, I still felt more knackered after 18 miles than I have in any of my hilly 20 mile training runs?. Just the huge amount of jostling and noise and commotion I think?. I don't think I ever really get a steady pace going in the VLM for more than a few mins' at a time.

01/05/2012 at 08:55

From my above post it shuold have read.

He said if you were running it should NOT cause that kind of injury. 

V

01/05/2012 at 10:43
Morning

Well, seeing as I can hardly walk and haven't run for a year I thought a good physio "motivational goal" would be to enter the ballot for VLM13 so got it in at 10 am yesterday. Not that I've received any email confirmation and of course I didn't save the reference number!

01/05/2012 at 11:02

NfS - I guess it would depend what model you tried ? They do a wide (hahaha) range, suspect some of them (like true XC racers for example) might be narrow. I'm the same as you - been struggling with off road shoes for year - so far, though, these are easily the best I've tried and they are definitely wide. They are Roclite 319s. You can get them for £50 at sportshoes.com, and for me the right sizing was the same as my road shoes (if that helps)

AdyP - hahaha, good news. My turn to beat you so I hope you turn up. How's the knee ?? Got a proper diagnosis yet ?

01/05/2012 at 11:34

Things keep coming back to me from London, I recall passing two guys with hockey sticks and a ball each tapping the ball all the way round and a guy dribbling a football.

Looking at the Garmin and seeing the time around 2 hours, I came to a digital board that I could see through some trees. I could see 1.44, thinking something was wrong I looked at my Garmin again and the board, it was only when I got close to it I could see it was the price of a litre, in a petrol station.

01/05/2012 at 11:53

Viking - Petrol price - sorry but I couldn't help chuckling......... Interesting game would be to guess when you can get through the same point below the petrol price. Probably next year at this rate !

Hockey - was probably these guys : http://sport.uk.msn.com/marathon-challenge-for-gb-duo

I used to play, and it's a game that makes your back ache - goodness knows what 4/5 hours of it does

01/05/2012 at 12:11
OG, they did have the GB kit on, it wouldn't do my back any good as I'm 6ft 3in.
01/05/2012 at 20:37
@ OG - can't believe you've picked up a niggle a week before your next marathon... oh well at least it's not cellulitis!
02/05/2012 at 08:35
( Hammy tweak
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.