FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

24,641 to 24,660 of 24,995 messages
02/05/2012 at 09:12
OG - you should change your name to AI - Always Injured! Hope it sorts itself out. (mind you I can hardly talk can I!!)

The inflammation on my knee is still quite bad so MRI scan will have to wait a bit. Fizzy yesterday recommended an echo scan of my MCL in the meantime to see if it's totally snapped or just badly ruptured. If it's snapped then I need to be very careful for a few more weeks so it can re-attach properly. If just ruptured then I can be a little more bold with the flexion exercises. After 2 weeks of rest i've been working the last few days to get a full extension which is just about possible, flexion is about 75 degrees before it hurts! Another fizzy mate reckons pain is a good sign that it is not snapped (if it was there would be nothing to resist and hurt!). As for the ACL only the MRI will tell for sure but the manual diagnosis is not looking good - fingers crossed though.

The aim is to get good walking form back asap as hobbling around is killing my back and especially my left quad with huge cramps. Red wine seems to help.....hic!
02/05/2012 at 09:21

Well ignoring the infection (not a running injury), this is the first niggle since last July, which is the best spell I've ever had, so I'm not too distressed. It also feels very minor - I just don't want to jeopardise some good events planned in June, so missing out this weekend is the sensible option...........although I'll probably do a bit on Saturday just to see..........................................

'Minor tweak' possibly better than 'totally snapped or badly ruptured' I guess....................... Keep up with the Bordeaux Painkiller - works a treat.

02/05/2012 at 16:50

I still have a tender bum and my calves are killing me after racing on Sunday...and I have a tough half marathon on Sunday...eeek

I have just entered Beachy....booked a single room at the nice B&B I like...I wander when I should tell Nigel!?

02/05/2012 at 23:24
I am in bed with Nell
03/05/2012 at 07:47
She's too fast for you
03/05/2012 at 08:24

Bluddy hell, is this forum turning into some sort of "adult special interest" site? I thought Claire had a proper job not some 0898 premium rate number where she says "I have a tender bum" for 50p a minute.

And Mr P getting himself all "Puffy" over Nell again - where will it all end?

Anyway, just for you my friend, do you fancy an off roader?

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/247608/gallery/nell.jpg?width=240&height=158&mode=max

Edited: 03/05/2012 at 08:25
03/05/2012 at 10:47

Well it was your hairy swollen (and frankly, quite unattractive) body parts that were posted up here.........

03/05/2012 at 12:45
She is the guest on this week's marathon talk podcast
03/05/2012 at 14:15
I'm about 75 epsidoes behind at the moment..........
03/05/2012 at 15:12

it's ok folks, I've rubbed Claire's bum better..........and Nells

...well in my mind I did anyway

AdyP

is that compulsery womens wear in cross country now then?. 

Fingers crossed for you on the injury, that sounds nasty.

I did a bit of a speed session last night, but part of it was in a boggy field so a sort of cross country speed session. We have a lap of 1 mile round about 4 fields with cones every quarter mile, and we have to see how many laps we can do in half an hour.  I managed four and a quarter, which is the best I can do and ok for an ol' git. The fast guys were doing 5 laps. Calves were killing me afterwards for some reason?. Worst theyv'e been since the marathon, and whole body's feeling a bit wrecked today.

03/05/2012 at 17:26

Wish I looked half as good as Nell in my Asics and some undergrowth !

Mr QQ would also agree with the above !

Well done on your 4 and a quarter  NfS - speed work on a boggy field ! - no wonder you've got sore calves !

I also feel wrecked today - can't blame it on running as I have been taking it easy since London - it's everything else thats keeping me busy !

I am so impressed with your energy Claire - good luck in your Half. And well done for committing to Beachy - I suspect that for me it is a Marathon too far - might think of doing a half in October...... then again......

OG -  hope your niggle is improving... as for this weekend , -"taking the sensilbe option" - is that really you  ?

03/05/2012 at 17:42

Ady - that sounds sore  -.   when is your scan likely to be ?. Def go with OGs advice on analgesics  !

03/05/2012 at 18:12

To look that good and run sub-3 is some combination! Whilst on this theme, does anyone watch Homelands on Sunday evenings with the lovely Claire Danes?

Forgot you need to enter the VLM within hours of the ballot opening, so have entered Brighton instead. Although I don't like road races, I think I have do my local event at least once - whether all the people I know who will running and watching will inspire me remains to be seen.

OG, hope to see at Hill Barn at 10am. My knee cap is still intermittently painful, but the chiro can't find anything wrong and running doesn't seem to make it any worse.

Edited: 03/05/2012 at 18:14
05/05/2012 at 17:49

Where is everyone?  I actually have nothing to report.... 

05/05/2012 at 18:40

Nor me.  I have been to our club night twice last week, first time I managed that for over a year. Some of the blokes in our club are going for 1:35 at Chester next week so I'll try to keep up with them.

And joking apart, Nell's interview is fantastic, really motivational.

05/05/2012 at 21:52
Nothing to report either accept that I have the Uttoxeter Half tomorrow....
06/05/2012 at 17:44
Ok, bit of running news. Completed the Three Forts Challenge today and I am well chuffed. Time wasn't spectacular (4.50 for 27.1 miles), but I finished in the best condition ever (last two miles were two of the quickest), had no cramping at all and.........this is amazing for me (as some of you know) I actually ran a negative split ! Did the first 8m or so very slowly with an ultra-training clubmate, but couldn't get into a rhythm so pressed on a bit and, well, just kept going. The ChiRunning refresher last week helped massively, managed to hang on to the 'coasting' sensation for several long periods. The course was shockingly muddy - as bad as the Stinger last month - and very hilly, but some good views (through the rain) and well organised. Would do it again. Feeling great at the moment - better than any time after a previous marathon. Probably won't be able to walk tomorrow. Oh, and the Roclites were just sensational - despite the conditions never once felt like I'd lost any grip at all. Unbelievable.
06/05/2012 at 18:07

Just read my post after VLM12, I must have been really bad as I put 10 minutes on my time, it should have read 4.25.15 not 4.35.15 as I put.

Been out this evening and did a pretty good 7 miles, I noticed my running style changed a couple of times during the run. I went from heel strikes to running on my toes, don't know why though. 

Good run OG

07/05/2012 at 07:58

OG

That's such a positive report, well done. I haven't felt that good about a race for ages. I seem to go well for a while and then feel bloody awful and have to back right off, re-gather myself again and sort of lope to the end! . I did an 8 mile training run yesterday and that was much as I've just described. Sometimes I'm able to get in to a zone where breathing and legs come together in a sort of harmony and I can just keep going fairly comfortably. I seem to make such hard work of it at the moment though unless I'm pootling along, apart from the odd burst of energy when it does all come together for a short spell?. Probably still recovering from the London marathon?.

Viking3

Sounds good as well. I tend to heel strike more when I'm knackered I think, though by that stage I'm just concentrating on moving forward, and feet have to sort themselves out best they can?.

07/05/2012 at 10:40
Chanctonbury ring eh OG? I've had that a few times...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.