FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

24,761 to 24,780 of 24,999 messages
04/07/2012 at 07:52

There are some tough cookies out there......interesting to watch activity at the 54m checkpoint at Washington while I was waiting. From the 'looking refreshed' to the 'half dead' and everything in between. One guy was getting serious attention to his feet that had blistered to hell, he went past us again going up Newtimber Hill only to tell us he was 'giving up' at the next checkpoint........(70m)

07/07/2012 at 11:39

Bandages off this week - not bad eh? 

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg100/scaled.php?server=100&filename=knee3.jpg&res=landing

What's even more "notbader" is that I managed a bit of stationary cycling at physio this week which is great considering I'm less than 3 weeks post-op. I think my first ultra will have to wait a bit though.

Sore today as did too much yesterday so am watching Saturday Kitchen!!

Edited: 07/07/2012 at 11:40
09/07/2012 at 07:48

Nice........

14/07/2012 at 09:20

Looks like it's just me and you Daz, a baldy cripple and a baldy banker - whoo hoo - let's get this party started!

Edited: 14/07/2012 at 11:36
14/07/2012 at 18:28

After an excellent 2 hour Chirunning training session with Michelle yesterday, tried out the technique on a 13 miler this morning and it really made a difference - so much so that some of my friends could hardly keep up. Needs lots of practice to get into OG's league, of course!

16/07/2012 at 12:48

SDM has Chi-gatecrashed the party. Well, as usual, I'd have only been asleep in a chair in the corner anyway (that said did go to my old school 30 year reunion on Saturday, and was very impressed that I managed to stay up until 4am ).

So, another convert to Chi. One by one they are coming round.....

Downland Challenge 30 miler this weekend. Unfinished business after DNF last year. Planning on taking it slowly and aiming for even pace and finishing in one piece.

16/07/2012 at 13:26

OG, so on the basis of the SDM, you must be aiming for well under 5 hours? Anyone doing Salisbury, Farnham or Clarendon - the next 3 on my schedule?

17/07/2012 at 12:14

No, will be taking it slowly (probably running with a clubmate). No interest in how long it takes, just want to enjoy it.

17/07/2012 at 13:37

It's one local trail run I've never done, mainly because I don't like out-and-back routes. Tried more Chirunning on the hash yesterday and absolutely flew down the old railway line at Shoreham at the end - I find having the elbows in the correct position behind you is the key to getting the right amount of lean.

Off up to the Lakes at the end of week for some fellwalking - not running - when the waether forecast looks reasonably hopeful. Might even meet up with TL.

17/07/2012 at 15:04

I know but it's a nice out and back and the views vary depending on your direction....and the start is 10 mins from home, so would be rude not to turn up.......

Well done on the Chi, glad you can see some of the benefits so quickly. I am still struggling with elbows - don't move them enough, resulting in too much shoulder movement. That's my main focus at the moment

Have fun in the lakes - finally looks as though there may be some dry weather coming. Maybe.

18/07/2012 at 11:55

I think it may help that I've always been a forefoot striker. However I haven't practised the technique over any long distances yet and so don't know know whether I can maintain it - or the speed!

Have a good run on Sunday - it might even be dry

20/07/2012 at 21:31
Apparently might be cancelled due to parking on the field being a problem. Booo !!

Chicoach has posted my story:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cflpe1ltjyorflu/Darren%20Chilcott.pdf
22/07/2012 at 10:54

Morning!

Come on lets blow away the tumbleweed...OG is well into the 30 miler, and I've cleaned out the shed and "got my bike out" as we used to say.

I've been in Kefalonia having a fantastic time, and I can't wait to get back to work on Monday.

*One of the above staements is untrue.

22/07/2012 at 17:18
30 miler was a bit crap. My usual problem of not coping with the heat - every time I started running my temp just rocketed and i fel v dodgy. Still, at least managed to finish after last years failure.
23/07/2012 at 23:06
Only you could be unhappy after finishing a 30 mile run over the downs OG!

Tonight was club night, our "track" session, we jogged out to a local school field where there's an oval on the grass and did a reverse pyramid, 2 minutes, 90 seconds , 60 seconds etc with 30 second jogs in between then back up to 2 minutes, then a hard run back to the start. Just for fun I tried to lean from my ankles and went past the chap I'd been following with no apparent extra effort!

I felt a bit heavy after my holiday, but felt good at the end, and had a catch up with a few people I haven't seen for a while.

I've pretty much decided not to enter Chester Mara this year, I missed a lot of races that I enjoy in the build up last time, and I didn't feel as if I'd got it out of my system when it came to London. So I will enter some of the other local races and work towards a 17 mile race along the sandstone trail in early October.
24/07/2012 at 07:43

Sounds like a rough session Mr P. The leaning thing in chi is just weird when you first try it - you do a drill (on the workshop) where you run in pairs (having first spent a long time on stance etc), and one leans forward and inch or so more than the other, and the change in pace is immediate and obvious, for no apparent extra effort.

Yes, afraid I'm not happy with the 30. I reckon I lost c30-45 mins more than I wanted on the second half but simply didn't want to wipe myself out as I've done before in the heat. As a result of taking it 'easy' (not sure that's the right term for any Downland run),I have no after-effects - went to the gym yesterday and did 30 mins on the crosstrainer and legs were fine. Reading some of the other forum posts/reviews on the event seems like quite a few suffered in the second half and certainly the finish looked like a bit of a war zone. It's a very tough route - second half has some really long climbs, two in particular of c 2 miles each. Will probably be back next year to have another go though.

Going to be taking a bit of a breather now, no events until Farnham in September and then a busy Autumn..........

29/07/2012 at 10:10
I think I've had my breather...the lowest July mileage since records began.
Club night again Thursday, 5 miles, and a great 5 mile easy run yesterday o into August ready to go for a good half. Going to be difficult getting off the couch for the next fortnight though.
30/07/2012 at 09:44

Hello everyone, not been on for a while.  Hope we're all okay.

I'm still struggling with injury but just running through it, turning up to score points for the club races to try and win the summer league.  There has been a falling out in the club over the ladies team and as captain I have found it really tough.

Anyway this weekend we had 2 teams for the 24hr adidas thunder run at Catton Park which is local to us.  We had a great weekend, I managed 40 k and a run through the night.  The night run was amazing, I got such a buzz from it, haven't felt like that about my running in a long time and it reminds you why you do it.  It's a great weekend, you can just enjoy your running with no pressure and the off road course is quite tough but brilliant.  The switchbacks through the forest in the dark were tricky!

I am shattered today though as I didn't sleep at all Saturday night.  I was in bed for 9pm last night and have a long shift today at work.  Then I'm meeting a couple of people from the club tonight to do a reccy of tomorrow night's club run as I am hosting it!!!

Happy days!

31/07/2012 at 07:40

Claire, sorry to hear of your woes - hope everything is sorted out soon.

Had great week's fellwalking in the Lakes last week, although the weather was nothing like as hot as it was here. Did over 60 miles and climbed 20,000 feet, including the Langdale Horseshoe that has been on my 'to do' list for a while.

Next up is the Salisbury 5-4-3-2-1, although may do the Milland Valley Trail half this w/e - the top rated August event in RW. Both will give me a chance to practise the Chirunning over a longer distance.

31/07/2012 at 22:13
Not good Claire on the club front but great running. I would like to do a night run but I dont think I could...if I stay up too late I just feel wierd.

SDM our next walk is going to be Blencathra I think, and possibly a route to link up from Honister to Cat Bells and Keswick, we're a bit OCD about joined up walks.

I did a good race in Keswick one year, the Newlands Valley Round, about 5 miles, only one hill to speak of, start and finish at a local grammar school.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.