FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

241 to 260 of 24,999 messages
funkin-baby    pirate
08/10/2006 at 19:59
LOL, a "foodpod"... What I meant to say was "footpod".

What this does however indicate is that its 8pm on Sunday night and I need to have my dinner!
08/10/2006 at 20:13
Dunno, QQ. I reckon I've caught a fast-running virus off eL Bee :o) Seriously, all I can do are pass on HIS tips, and the one that shook me out of "plodder" mode was "when you're running slowly, think of yourself as a fast runner who's running slowly rather than as a slow runner".

The other thing that's made a difference for me is avoiding cross-training. Running, resting and eating properly help with running speed and endurance. Gymming and swimming just cause fatigue without contributing any useful training effect.

The "GFA" issue has started to raise its head in the past week or so, but we'll see how I get on at Abingdon first.

52 miles this week :o) I'll cut back to about 30 next week and 20 the week after.
08/10/2006 at 20:14
Funkin, well done. If you're doing those speeds in training I suspect you'll do sub-1.15 quite comfortably at the CP10 :o)
funkin-baby    pirate
08/10/2006 at 21:51
Velociraptor: here's hoping so. I've given myself a 1:12 target provided the weather is reasonable and I don't do anything stupid this week. Cheers.
08/10/2006 at 21:55
1.12! So that's, like, 7.15-minute-miling? Hey, good for you :o)

Having gone through 10 miles at 1.17.something today, I'm planning to take a pop at sub-1.15 at the Sneyd Striders 10-miler in December. It'll be my first-ever 10-mile race.
09/10/2006 at 09:17
Really great runs this weekend everyone. It would seem that at least two of you are going to go sub 3.45 in your next marathons based on your current times.

I had my longest run since April yesterday - 9.25 miles. Took it easy and tried to get into LSR mode but still managed to do 9m/miles. I can't seem to run slower! But I can't run much faster either - 10k at 5m/k pace last weekend was race pace (8m/miles). But yesterdays run felt relaxed and fairly easy, so overall I'm very pleased.
09/10/2006 at 10:09
Well done, HRR :o) You're going to go a long way under 4 hours if you're finding 9mm pace relaxed and easy on training runs now.

My next marathon is in 2 weeks and I won't get anywhere near 3.45 then because I just haven't done the long runs. But I've decided to prepare to race it properly because yesterday showed that I'm not disciplined enough to resist pushing the pace in a race. What will happen in the last 6 miles is anyone's guess, but the wheels would have to come right off for me not to get a good PB.

Sub-4 would be icing on the cake.
09/10/2006 at 10:33
Well, after Friday's morale boostin' 11 mile run in 88 mins, this morning I felt extra confident, and added an extra wee loop to the end of the run, taking the distance to 13.2 miles which I managed at an even pace in 107 mins, so again, just about 8 min miles.

Hopefully throughout the Winter, I can continue setting new targets and knock them all down. Its a hell of a boost to know I can run a half marathon on my own without water or support or gorging on pasta, and not be crying for my mummy at the finish line ! Drinking till 3am on Sunday at my sisters wedding probably isn't ideal preparation ! I dont think Guinness counts as pasta.

I'll have to go back through the thread, but have Funkin and Ms Raptor suddenly got brilliant at running ? 52 miles in a week, and you have 13 children to bathe and feed and educate ? I guess for you LSR's are like nights out !

HRR, Fandabbydozeee run for you.
Before last Friday, I ran hard at the shorter distances, but had never really considered the wonderful world of pacing myself. Now I am rattling off distances, and doing so comfortably, like you did, it's given me much more confidence, which I'm sure you'll experience in the weeks ahead.
AND your times will drop too !

I'm also joining a local running club for company throughout the Winter, and to get involved in more races, now old dodgy knees across the road has hung up his Asics.
funkin-baby    pirate
09/10/2006 at 16:46
LS: hehe. I'm not doing that many miles at present but have been very impressed with my recent progress.

LS wrote... "Its a hell of a boost to know I can run a half marathon on my own without water or support or gorging on pasta, and not be crying for my mummy at the finish line !"

Yeah, I agree entirely. At work this morning someone asked me what I did at the weekend and I replied - "oh, you know, just a half marathon on my own round the park!". I remember the first time I was able to get round the park (7.3miles) in one go, and now I'm almost double that. I'm well chuffed.

As for running clubs, if I can get out of work on time on Wednesday, then I'll be heading to the Ranelagh Harriers to see about running with them.

I'm loving the forums here just for the motivation they provide, especially when there's a like-minded group of people doing the same thing week after week. Thanks everyone.
09/10/2006 at 21:16
Having read all the above you(we) are all sounding v impressive with our structured training progammes, pacing, and "relaxed" 13+ mile runs !! Well done all !

I agree Funkin , I also take inspiration from / learn alot from this forum.

Thanks for the tip V,rap - I will definately bear the 'Fast runner running slowly' thought in mind next time I am struggling up those hills - perhaps I will also get a T-shirt printed !! . Seriously though I am a firm believer in the power of positive thinking.

I've just come back from a sociable 6 miler with my running club.. (I would definately recommend club running Funkin) and only a few twinges from the knee , so v pleased. I've got a physio appt tomorrow who will probably tell me my glutes/back/hip flexors/dodgy running style are the root cause of my knee pain.... as long as he doesn't tell me to rest for a month !!
09/10/2006 at 22:06
I went out and did an easy 6-miler today ... I LOVE being able to say things like that with a straight face :o) It felt like the last 6 miles of a marathon, but that's not surprising.

Joining a running club is on the agenda here too. It seems like a socially responsible sort of thing to do ... besides, eL Bee is going to need more than the RW forums and the occasional kick out the door from me if he's going to do a sub-3 spring marathon. And I'm sure some structured speed sessions and doing long runs with slower groups will do me no harm.

Being on here is giving me a lot of motivation too. Being able to talk about what I'm doing to other people who are running at the same sort of level and have similar aspirations is tremendous. Thanks :o)
10/10/2006 at 13:15
Hi everybody

After sending of the application form I thought I would join in with the forum

Im 37 and this is my 11th or 12th marathon and im still trying to get under that 4hr mark. My PB came in 2000 which is 4:06:21.

Last year I jogged round after picking up a cold in the final weeks in a time of 4:20.

Next race ive got planned is The Flying Fox 10 on the 5th November. Hopefully I will be under 1:20 but will wait and see.
10/10/2006 at 13:57
Mighty Quinn, welcome.
I too am the golden age of 37, but don't have your experience in running 26.2 miles. 10 miles in 80 minutes would be a fine indicator your going in the right direction. I was well chuffed on Friday to do 11 in 88mins.

I'm hoping to do the Glen Clova half marathon on the 11th of November, hopefully close to 1hr 40. My old man did the Arbroath half 25 years ago and tells me he did it in 1 hr 44, so some day that record has got to go ! I tried to do it in the Dundee half in June, but went off too fast and died a slow lingering death from the 9 mile mark, finishing in 1hr 53 mins. Reading this thread has helped greatly, and I am now a sad geek ( according to the wife ) for hunting daily for additions to the thread !
10/10/2006 at 14:55
Little Stoker
I'm lucky my dad never started running till he was 59 so I do hold all the records. The problem was in his first three marathons (Edinburgh 03, Loch Ness 04 and Robin Hood 05) he went flying past me at about 20miles which meant I got a lot of stick at the club. Last years London I managed to stay in front but I was looking back in the last couple of miles just hanging on.

1:40 would be a good time and very gettable with the way you are training. I would recommend running with a club. I belong to a very small club and we are lucky if 4 or 5 people turn up but we have a good laugh.
10/10/2006 at 15:11
Hi! I'm currently experiencing taper madness in readiness for Abingdon next weekend and stumbled across this thread, exactly my time band :)

V-rap, I'm planning to aim at a 3:50 time, so want to slot into about 8:45 min pace from the start. If by some total miracle I'm feeling strong at 20+ miles I'll try & up it a little and see if the 3:45 is possible. What is far, far more likely however is I will be flaked out and will have a little leeway in order to get my sub-4 I want!
10/10/2006 at 16:17
Quinn, Tiger, welcome :o)

Tiger, you have my total sympathy. Since deciding that I was going to race Abingdon rather than just pottering round at 10mm pace I have gone into complete tapermania mode, and, physically, I haven't even started to taper yet! I did my "normal" recovery run yesterday, will have a "normal" resting-and-domestic-stuff day today, and plan to do a sharp 8-miler plus a swim tomorrow evening. The reduced mileage will only really start to bite after that.

I shall be aiming for just under 9mm pace from the start, knowing that even when my legs turn into lead pipes they can still churn out 9.30mm pace quite effectively so I won't crash. Or that's the theory. There's every possibility that I'll hammer off at 7.30mm pace, slow down very rapidly after about 10 miles and finish on my hands and knees.
10/10/2006 at 16:28
I've been on 50mpw+ throughout September, my last long run was last Wednesday, this week I'm only doing about 25 or so. Consequently I feel I've got tons of spare time, I'm trying to resist doing my normal nutty taper routine of picking up an injury or digging the garden. Sitting around resting does not come terribly naturally to me!

There's something to be said about doing a fun marathon in fancy dress y'know ;-)
10/10/2006 at 17:17
Fun marathon! ROFL! Nobody does those quite like you and Snoop, Tiger :o)

I AM doing Abingdon in fancy dress - you'll see!

Sitting around resting doesn't come easily to me either, and I've only just stopped myself from booking ski-ing lessons during the taper and the couple of weeks after the marathon when I'll be on very low mileage.

My brain is trying to carbo-load at the moment too, which is slightly worrying.
10/10/2006 at 19:10
Hi Tiger, Hi Quinn - My PB is also 4:06:21 (FLM 2005) but I am 49 now so I feel time is running out for me. Fingers crossed, next April.
11/10/2006 at 07:56
HRR
One of my training partners must have been around your age when he started improving. In a mater of a year he broke every one of is PB's including running 3:36 for a marathon.

Had a good run last night ran to the club and then did 10M (1:21). Felt nice and relaxed at the start and started to feel it after about 8M.
241 to 260 of 24,999 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.