FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

321 to 340 of 24,999 messages
16/10/2006 at 17:24
Dad is doing really well thanks QQ, can't get over how he is coming along!

Have a great session tonight, enjoy every single step of it.

LS, on long runs I hide bottles in bushes etc. It is a nightmare when you turn up to a point expecting a drink and some blighter has moved your bottle!
16/10/2006 at 17:30
A Harrington was a black jerkin style super cool coat with a tremendously eyecatching red tartan inner lining. Teamed with a pair of staypress trousers, a Ben Sherman, and possibly some Stuart brogues or loafers ( with segs/blakeys/metal things to save your heel! )

Can all the regulars remind me who is 37 and who isn't a doctor and who will never be at risk of male pattern baldness ?
16/10/2006 at 17:36
Oh brill! We are onto the seventies!

What about;

Choppers (the bikes I mean)
Space Hoppers
Bell Bottoms
Swap Shop
Eagle eye action men
Space 1999
Tiswas

On the nipple thing, I do the same as HRR. I use micropore tape. Hellish to get off, I find a good soak in the bath and it will eventually lift off.

Weetabix, have you tried SiS gels? I used to hate gels, but I swear by these. In fact I used 8 yesterday, 1 every three miles.

V.rap how is the little one?

Extending distances run. Tonnes of good advice on this thread. The 10% rule is the one I use for my LSR's, well when I am running responsibly!
16/10/2006 at 17:37
LS!

Were you a mod?
16/10/2006 at 18:18
I never had a Chopper, I had a purple Raleigh Eighteen :o) But I did have a big orange spacehopper. And purple corduroy dungarees. And a collection of Pocket Sized Pippa dolls.

I believe that the wounded Buzzlet is as well as can be expected. He's one of my borrowed rather than biological children and he's back home in Wales now.

LS, I'm not 37 and I'm unlikely to suffer from jogger's nipple or male-pattern baldness but acquired a medical degree in your home town some 20 years ago :o)
16/10/2006 at 18:49
And I'm not 37, never had jogger's nipple, still got plenty of hair and am not a doc either!

I had a purple Raleigh Eighteen as well though :)

Glad you had a great run RD! There's so much more to running than charging after PBs all the time, even though that's what I shall be attempting to do this Sunday ... hope I don't upset V-rap and el Bee with too much complaining!!
16/10/2006 at 20:23
Tiger, I'm not worried. If you were a large stripy feline of the whingeing variety, I'm sure Snoop would have been in the market for a new running-partner a long time ago :o) Anyway, the role of complainer-in-chief is already occupied.

eL Bee is likely to put his best I-hear-what-you're-saying face on, develop selective deafness and confiscate all the bleeping gadgetry.

This is the first time in 5 years of running (on and off!) that I've done the chasing-PBs thing, and I'm enjoying it far more than I enjoyed being a plodder. Whether I'll still enjoy it when a PB involves shaving seconds rather than hours off my previous time is another matter.

16/10/2006 at 20:44

[lurk]

;o)
16/10/2006 at 20:49
>Hastily erases post about doing a 26.3-miler on Friday just to make sure in advance that the distance will be OK, and starts idly rolling up a newspaper.<
16/10/2006 at 21:14
Just back from a really sociable run.

Now to business. I had a red Raleigh Fourteen, Orange Space Hopper , would have killed for some cord dungarees ( any colour) .. but I did have a blue bomber jacket from Tesco Home'n'Wear...... oh and leg warmers in 15 colours.

More recently I got a Medical Degree from Brum , am now 37 and genetically unlikley to go bald.

Off to watch Spooks now !

16/10/2006 at 21:14
Hi all, looks like everyone is doing well in there training and races. Can someone please let me know if I am right in thinking that it is around oct 20 that they start drawing places for FLM.
funkin-baby    pirate
16/10/2006 at 22:28
RD: sounds like you had a fantastic time. Good for you.

In prep for my 10 mile race on Sunday I did the 5km Busy Park Time Trial on Saturday at a more relaxed pace (for me) and really enjoyed it all the way round, and not just after finishing it (when I've been racing).

Thanks also for everyones encouragement and comments about my ever improving times. When I first thought of a marathon I thought that I'd be lucky to get in under four hours, but you're right, it is looking like I'm much nearer 3:30, provided I put the effort in over the coming cold, wet months. I'll maybe quietly look around some of the other FLM threads but will still call this one home :)
16/10/2006 at 23:04
Is that three doctors on the thread?

Wow! What are the odds of that?

Not sure if I have mentioned it but I am an Environmental Health Officer. Doubt I will go bald as my has a full head of hair!

What other jobs do people do on here?

Just before I press on can I ask the medics one question? What is your handwriting like? ;)

Jus, not sure in answer to that but it has got to be soon.

QQ, wasn't spooks good?

Funkin, you can't leave now ;) our quite right this is your home! Seriously, build up a real serious mileage base and I think you could do it (3.30); I wish you the very best and don't be a stranger!
17/10/2006 at 01:47
My brother got a Chipper, while I got a succession of Action Men and excuse notes from Santa.

No, I wasn't a Mod, just someone whose entire yearly clothing budget it seems went on my uniform, so I looked cool for a week, then invariably climbed a tree or fell playing football, and looked like a tinker for 10 months. My wages from the milk round went on Madness albums, or my brother borrowed it and is now officially overdue with his payments !?

I am a course advisor for a distance learning college.

I worked in Tesco whilst failing a BSc in Quantity Surveying, and still wear a blue Wrangler t shirt from said home n wear dept I got in '89. I was a brilliant shelf stacker specializing in vinegars and cooking oil and gherkins.

Bell bottoms ?!
Did you ever catch OTT, the adult Tiswas ?

Ms Raptor, I'm so glad you experienced the city of Oor Wullie, Jute, Jam, Journalism, the Coconut Grove, De Stihls, etc. Where did you live while you learnt about cold sores and stuff ? The Marketgait on a Wednesday was a braw night.
I am a Lochee man.
I delivered milk in sachets in the Blackness/ Perth Rd area circa 1982/83.

8/9/69.... who is the oldest 37 year old ?!!

And for the doctors, is transient global amnesia anything to worry about ? Don't worry about telling me as I'll forget it all anyway !!

17/10/2006 at 09:49
Three doctors indeed! We did manage that on Triple F in the old days, so it's not quite a first.

QQ, I've been in Brum since 1988 so our paths have probably crossed somewhere or other.

RD, my handwriting is definitely of variable quality.

Jus, if you have a FLM entry awaiting posting, don't hang around. Closing date is definitely imminent.

LS, I lived West Park Hall on Perth Road for my first year, in several studenty dives between times, and then in a rather nice flat on Milnbank Road for a couple of years. I remember Lochee, though, and I knew The Coconut Grove when it was The Barracuda.

Had a great time in Dundee but I've never been tempted to go back and live there.

17/10/2006 at 09:58
Jus, the ballot is at the end of November and you will get the result first week in December. There are theories about looking to see if your cheque has been cashed but if you've bequeathed it that doesn't work. We will all get a magazine through the post. Some will say "congratulations" on the front and the others will say "sorry...". Actually that's wrong. We will all get a magazine that says "congratulations" on the front! ;-)

I am sound engineer working for the BBC. Current projects are "Mock the week" and "Strictly Come Dancing". In the seventies I wanted to be keyboard player in a Prog Rock band. My hero was (is) Keith Emerson.
17/10/2006 at 10:19
Got my entry confirmed today for Glen Clova Half on the 11th of Nov. 300 runners all grouped with their target times, so hopefully I can find some experienced old goat to drag me round at a pace that will get me in under the 100 minute mark.
Just did a wee 5 miler on Monday, but with the recent longer runs under my belt, I felt much stronger coming over a certain hill than I normally do. If I had a bleepy thing and a heart whatchamacallit, then I'm sure it would all be there in black and white.
Will Funkin, at his current rate of incredible progress, break the 4 minute mile before Christmas ?
V, did the Barracuda have a spooky stalagmite kinda entrance ? Anyway, the building was demolished and is now just an empty space with tons of memories floating around it.

Bellbottoms ?!

I'm always too polite on Milnbank Rd letting cars come the other way !? Handy for the West Port I guess.

Who among us will be the last one still wearing shorts, or is there a hardy soul who never dons the leggings ?
17/10/2006 at 10:20
Last year the cheques came out on the 28th October. So that means this year they should come out on the 27th if you’re in and not bequeathed.

Birthday on 28/07/69 so slightly older than you Little Stoker. I'm an electronic technician (Diagnose PCB faults).
funkin-baby    pirate
17/10/2006 at 10:31
LS: hahah! not bl**dy likely!
17/10/2006 at 11:10
If it's like previous years as Quinn says, cheques should be cashed on 27th October. Which would be a nice birthday present for me! Getting even further away from being 37 ...

Strictly Come Dancing is one of my fave progs :) Very glam!

Am a practice manager for a firm of quantity surveyors.

My coach turns up in shorts for training sessions in mid winter, even if it's freezing!
321 to 340 of 24,999 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.