FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

501 to 520 of 24,995 messages
31/10/2006 at 12:04
A cheque was cashed today for £26 so I may be in - Mrs Umbongo will love me -not- having done 3 marathons this year I assured her (fingers crossed) that I was given them up :-)
31/10/2006 at 12:05
When I was young, 501 was the cooler number !

Got my extremely garish yellow Saucony Tangents delivered today. We'll see tomorrow if they are worth it.

Just need to work out on line banking now to see if I'm in or not?
31/10/2006 at 12:05
AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH !

502 !!
31/10/2006 at 12:36
Hi everyone,

Sorry I havn't posted in a while.It looks like after 3 weeks of a painful ankle and pretty much no running I have a stress fracture of the fibula :( I have to go for an xray, but I am certain that is what it is as I suspected it even before the GP confirmed it. I am gutted

V-rap, I did a search on the forum and I noticed that you had posted a reply to someone regarding this. Do you know roughly how long recovery can take?

Anyway, onto happier things...congratulations RD for Snowdonia last weekend and also well done to everyone else for some great racing recently.

Oh yes and for a question posted a couple of weeks ago I am 35, female,an Account Manager 5"9 and about 9st 7. Was that all the info needed? Can't remember.

Anyway hope everyone is having a good day.

HH

P.S My cheque has not been cashed and I bequeathed, so for any bequeathers whose cheque has been cashed today I would say there's a good chance you are in!
31/10/2006 at 12:47
Lochaber here I come. No cheque cashed. Staying on this thread though ;O) Fantastic news for everyone that is in, am really chuffed for you all.

My tarining starts in earnest on Sunday. 3.45 here I come ;)
31/10/2006 at 12:59
((((((((HH))))))))

Typically 6-8 weeks minimum to heal a stress fracture of the fibula, and, being sensible, it's best to avoid high-impact exercise like running during this time. Walking will probably be OK, and you may be able to use the elliptical cross-trainer. Or there's aqua-jogging!

I must admit that when I had a stress fracture of my tibia I catapulted into CBA mode as soon as I realised it was way too painful to attempt to run on (the physio said she didn't think a little easy running would cause any more damage since I'm light and don't have a stomping gait) and the rest of my FLM preparation that year was confined to carbo-loading.

eL Bee, I have helpfully unwrapped your books for you, and they look as if I might enjoy them. They're all about the sort of training that the likes of you will need to be doing this winter ;o)
31/10/2006 at 13:04
HH I am really sorry to read that. Please do what the medics tell you to do and you will banging in the miles before you know it.

Got my fingers crossed for you.
31/10/2006 at 13:13
Happy Hermit - what a blow. Really sorry to hear about that. Take it easy and hope you're on the mend really soon.

Congrats to everyone who is £26 or £30 poorer today!
31/10/2006 at 13:55
Well my cheque was cashed yesterday but I did bequeath so I'm still fingers crossed. Only five weeks until we know for sure!
31/10/2006 at 14:02
Little Stoker didn't bequeath, but cheque no. 52 which was the FLM cheque was cashed today.........!

yipee ?

31/10/2006 at 14:59
Ooooh! Lots of people on here getting their cheques cashed.

YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Mine hasn't :o(
31/10/2006 at 16:23
Velociraptor - I thought you were a 5 times rejected certainty?

Maybe they're just sitting on your cheque?
31/10/2006 at 16:55
I am a five-times-rejected certainty and hope they're just sitting on my cheque, pidge :o(

Wish I was doing my long run tonight. I'd probably collect a lot of small change and sweeties running around the roads of Solihull on October 31st dressed as a skeleton. Tomorrow night I'll just look as if I didn't check the calendar properly.
31/10/2006 at 22:22
I feel like I did when I passed all my school exams, and excitedly rang up my mates, only to find not everyone got the same results !?

I hope the cheque cashing DOES mean I am in. The wife has already suggested I run for the old folks day care centre where she works. I think a local charity will drive the good people of the town to dig deep, but I'd be useless fronting my own campaign for an obscure charity.

Everything is concrete now, and nothing is pie in the sky or hypothetical. I think I'm as excited at the thought of how far I can go, and how much time I can shave off my PB's with this place almost certainly in the bag.

I have been walking on air today. Might have something to do with the new sneakers. Tomorrows time will reveal how big the extra bounce in each step is !

Read the reviews of Snowdonia, and its amazing how many said it blew away anything they'd ever run before. I hope for those heading North in April, the Highlands leave such a lasting impression.

01/11/2006 at 14:16
Little Stoker ... many congrats on the place.

Personally, I wasn't really expecting to get in through the ballot, so am not disappointed. I'll hang out here a bit in the hope that I might still get a club place.

Otherwise, currently mulling over doing the Shakespeare one week later than London.
01/11/2006 at 14:53
Brilliant news, LS :o)

Pidge, the Shakespeare marathon is on my doorstep and, having watched it in the past, the words "barge-pole" feature in my feelings about ever running it. It's a dreary, poorly-supported two-lap course, a little too undulating to be a true PB course, and the weather is always boiling hot that day.

I'd like to know what date to start counting back 18 weeks from for the schedules, but otherwise, well, there are other marathons and I WILL get a GFA time for 2008 :o)
01/11/2006 at 14:55
I've been rejected the last 2 years, and fully expected that trend to continue up until the 5 year mark.
Plus I'm getting old, and would stand no chance with Nell McAndrew if I left it until I was completely bald !
Hope you get a club place, or can shake off the flat feeling soon, and join the others up here in Sweaty Sock Land in April doing the Lochaber one on the same day. Your training is going really well, and so don't let things slip. Stay positive and keep setting new goals, and new PB's, even if they are just for your wee local training run.

Todays run was a good one in the new trainers. I think the pair of Saucony's the wife got are super light, and probably won't last that long, but they'll get me through Winter, and if I continue to feel as good as I did at 6 am today, then the times will plummet, and the distances grow .
01/11/2006 at 15:57
No cheques cashed :-(
Just as well I haven;t been training then!!
Might look at Stratford instead - probably only the 1/2 though - not sure I can face doing the Greenway twice.

Well done to all those with money taken - enjoy!
01/11/2006 at 16:02
Isn't anyone gonna go for a charity place, or does the total they demand put people off ? I guess its an added pressure you can do without, especially when there are other options.
Are other forums discussing the same topic ?
Is Funkin in or out ?
01/11/2006 at 16:13
Hmmm - that's interesting Velociraptor. Trouble is, I suggested to my other half me doing Paris which at least one of my clubmates is doing, and which sounds great. But he vetoed it on grounds of expense (we are stoney broke with two kids in childcare at the moment!). So that rules out any other tempting options like Copenhagen (where we have friends), Lochaber, which sounds great etc.

So it needs to be something close to home to save on travel and accommodation expense. Maybe I should just enter another half, and do a 16mile and 20miler in spring / summer and then do a marathon like Abingdon in the autumn.

And you never know ... my club might still provide the key to FLM.

I have thought about the charity option too - would love to run for Asthma, since I'm asthmatic. But again, rather daunted by having to raise £1500, particularly as we have no money ourselves, normally I'd be happy to shout them a few hundred myself!
501 to 520 of 24,995 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.