FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

101 to 120 of 24,996 messages
09/09/2006 at 11:43
I'm not a huge indoor-climbing enthusiast and would rather be scrambling on real rock, but being able to belay for the kids will be useful, and it's the only way to learn proper climbing skills in Brum.

After posting last night, I went out for a run and am pleased to report that I am now the sort of dinosaur who can say "I'm going to do 5 miles" and be back in under 40 minutes. Two seconds under, but it's a barrier broken (along with being my first-ever proper run at an average of sub-8-minute miling). My ankle twinged a bit but didn't get any worse.

Rest day today, definitely, apart from the climbing :o)
09/09/2006 at 14:34
Hey V'rap sounds like a great run last night. Well Done ! ( does quick sum in head) A sub 50 10k is definate possibility now ? no? Obviously depends on the day but you must be feeling positive. Good Luck .. I'll look forward to hearing about how you go.

Well I ran the Macc Half course this am and (after first 30 mins) felt ok. Really pleased to run it in about the same time as last year's race... so hopefully with a bit more prep, some pre race rest, loads of carbs and a strong following wind will go faster on race day. Definately will not be running sub 8 minute miles though !!!

09/09/2006 at 17:18
Swansea 1, Bradford nil !! Sod running tomorrow, I'm off out on the beer tonight!!!

Good luck for eveyone's runs tomorrow, I will be thinking of you all, whatever time I wake up ;)
09/09/2006 at 20:54
That's brilliant, QQ. I'm sure the race day atmosphere will carry you to a good PB :o)

Good result, RD?

Climbed and belayed for two hours this afternoon. It's a long time since my arms have looked as pumped as they do now.

Tomorrow's going to be more stressful than it might have been. I was expecting my children's father to be looking after them this weekend, but he's feeling a bit off-colour and doing the putting-myself-first thing. Yes, I'm unsympathetic! But knowing that the kids are waiting for me will be a good incentive to finish quickly.

I am not even thinking about sub-50!
09/09/2006 at 23:15
Excellent result v.rap.....hic!

Have a lovelt time with your children tomorrow. Sub 50 definately on.

My hangover is about tostart!
10/09/2006 at 09:43
Mornin !

Hope you're not feeling too rough RD ! presumably a v. good night ?.

It's a beautiful day for a race up here , hope It's the same in Lichfield.
I agree There's nothing like the kiddies cheering you on to make you go faster! Hope you enjoy yourself Vrap..

Anyone else racing/ running today ? Perhaps wait for the headache to clear before you go RD!. I thought I may go for a gentle recovery run later if is still nice.
10/09/2006 at 10:41
Morning all!
I've probably missed the opportunity now to say 'Good Luck' to V-rap for today's 10k - from your training times, it sounds like you will do really well. Am v impressed with all the climbing stuff too - that must be brilliant cross training!

Hope the hangover isn't too bad RD? Sorry about the footie...

Well, fancy that QQ!! My next half is the Congleton half on 8th Oct. I lived in Macc for about 17 years before migrating South. The only reason I'm not doing Macc (apart from the hills of course) is that I have organised a group from work to do a 10k in Hyde Park that day...

I did a hill session yesterday 10 reps - not nice at all - so am planning a slow 7 miles or so today....just as soon as this pot of coffee is finished....honest...
10/09/2006 at 16:32
You were all right.

I was wrong.

47.50 :oD :oD :oD

It was one of those races where everything just came together at the same time. A pleasant day (if a little TOO warm), a beautifully-organised race, a course with just the right amount of undulation, bouncy legs and a co-operative brain. If anything, my cardiovascular fitness was the limiting factor.

I started off thinking "This is quite laborious - hope it starts to feel easier soon." When I went through the first (mostly downhill) mile in 7.17, I realised why it felt like hard work.

The kids all did the 3k fun run and are delighted with their medals.

Windsor half in 2 weeks. I've been thinking "sub-2", but I'm going to aim for sub-1.55. I haven't done enough long runs to be confident about what I can do beyond 8 miles at the moment, though I plan to do a 12-miler between now and then.
funkin-baby    pirate
10/09/2006 at 17:22
Velociraptor: awesome stuff. Congratulations. That's great news, especially with the weather being pretty warm today.
10/09/2006 at 17:32
Thanks, funkin :o)

The heat today wasn't a big problem for me - I'm not carrying a lot of ballast, which helps.

Time to start getting some distance in now!
10/09/2006 at 17:44
Fantastic Vrap . Well done to you !!!! So glad it all came together for you.

Sounds like you all had a fab day. Fun runs for the kiddies - always a bonus ! Tho mine at 3 and 5 aren't quite up to 3k yet.

Windsor in 2w.... I would definately go for sub 1'55 or even slightly quicker . Sounds like we run at similar pace (my PB for 10k is 48:12 and I managed 1:49:33 for very flat Half course) On your current form anything's possible !
funkin-baby    pirate
10/09/2006 at 18:31
OK, todays run... Went to Richmond park with Mrs Funkin (who's recently started running) and did (in my opinion, not hers) a very gentle 2.65 miles (35 minutes, just over 13 minute mile pace) in the beautiful sunshine. I then left her to head back to the car and get a cup of tea and read my Runners World magazine (those were my orders!!), whilst I went off from where we had go to and completed a circuit of the park.

I ran for a further hour, covering 6.1 miles giving me a 9:51 pace for this part.

Todays total run was around 8.7 miles. Close to the 10 I need to do in the Cabbage Patch 10 next month.

Now for the maths bit.... I also took the HRM with me and my average was 137 (max 157). Now, when I did a reasonable paced run the other day I was up to 182bpm in my interval fast sprints.

If that (182) is my max BPM (out of curiosity, when I used to do spin classes at the gym I'd get up to about 188), then 75 percent of 182 is 136.5, meaning that I was going at around 75 percent of my max (is that right?).

Now, after all of that, is this pace too fast for an easy run (it sure didn't feel fast)?

Any comments most welcome. (PS. I may go to the gym treadmill this week and try and find out what my real max HR is).
10/09/2006 at 20:33
Hi

Not having taken delivery of my garmin yet I'm afraid the heart rate stuff is still an unknown quantity to me. That said I read in this months issue of RW that long slow runs should be run at a pace 2 minutes/ mile slower than target race pace, suggesting a correspondingly low heart rate. I'm sure that's absolutely correct but I think I'd find it very difficult to run that much slower than usual and I can't quite get my head round the idea that running at that pace will ever make you go faster!

Ah but I have a lot to learn!.

Kozzie , small world eh? A 10k in Hyde park sounds fun and good prep for Congleton the next week. I presume you have run Macc in prev years ?
10/09/2006 at 20:36
Funkin, I'm not a HRM expert (I don't even know my own RHR, never mind my max or any percentages thereof), but that heart rate looks fine for an easy run and if it felt very comfortable then I can't see that you overdid things.

QQ, thanks :o) I'm still trying to get used to the idea of being a sub-8-minute miler rather than a plodder. But I've broken out of my comfort-zone in that this was one of the first races in which I was going too fast to do more than grin at the marshalls rather than chatting to them.

Depending on how things are going by then, I may ask my Resident Speedy Person to pace me to 8-minute miles at Windsor. At the moment that feels a little too optimistic!
10/09/2006 at 22:35
Well done V.rap, I am really chuffed for you. You certainly aint a plodder! That is a really good time.

Bet you dont stop smiling all week :)
10/09/2006 at 23:40
Evening all. Fingers crossed for FLM 07 entry. Rejected last 2 years. 37yo now. Can do 6.2 hilly route in 43.50,and did the Dundee 13.66 mile "half" in 1 hour 53, with the last 4 miles half walking,half plodding,due to my exuberance up the hilly first 3 miles of my 1st half in my home town. Currently run 6 miles on a Monday, then do walk,run,sprint laps of 2 football pitches on a Wednesday.Started at 12 laps, and add 1 every week, now at 19, managing to stay under 2 mins per lap. Fridays is now 8.6 miles. Tend to carry Tesco velcro 2.5lb ankle weights in each hand to geta workout when running with a slower neighbour.His knees are going so the long run will get longer. Hope also to break the 4 hour barrier if accepted.Desperate to run so what should I do regarding charity slots? Wait til December or act now ?
11/09/2006 at 15:16
Hi, Little Stoker :o)

If there's a charity you'd particularly like to run for, I'd suggest you register your interest without delay. If you get a place in the ballot, you can still run for them but without the same fundraising pressure as your would have if you ran on one of their tickets.

I've just done a recovery run that was so slow the Garmin started counting backwards. I blame the weather. It was quite nice to go out and do 9.45-minute miles and know I was doing that speed because that was the speed I ought to be doing, not because I couldn't go any faster.
11/09/2006 at 16:29
Two minutes slower than race pace! My long slow runs would take all day.
11/09/2006 at 16:44
Indeed, HRR. But the pace should be sustainable all day, and as your speed increases overall the pace of your LSRs will get faster too.
11/09/2006 at 16:57
sorry to butt in, but are you saying you should run 2 mins slower pace than your projected marathon pace, which for a 3.59 race would be 9mins making it then 11 mins ? Or 2 mins slower than normal run pace ? Dont people laugh if you "run" that slow that walkers go past you ? Whats the benefit, as surely me trying to stretch 8.6 miles to 10 then 13 etc at current pace is more beneficial to lungs and legs and confidence ? Or at 11 min pace, should I be aiming to rattle off a much longer distance and "bank" the benefit of being on the go for say over 2 hours ? Maybe thats what let me down in the Dundee half?
101 to 120 of 24,996 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.