FLM 09 - 3.45ers!

All Aiming for 3.45 - 3.59

141 to 160 of 24,996 messages
18/09/2006 at 21:50
Thanks for the welcome.

Ripped Dan, this is my first marathon!!! I am excited but also aprehensive about the training ahead. I always wanted to do the London Marathon before I'm 40 and now seems as good a time as any. I started running again last December eight weeks after a C-section having my second baby. I did the Reading half in April in just under 2 hours but have really got into my training now. Not sure if I'm bing a bit enthausiatic about completing in under 4 but I always need a goal time rather than just completing to keep me motivated.

Velopricator - Many congrats on your sub 50 10K, I bet you are really chuffed. I notice that your previous was 52, any tips on how I can do the same on Sunday and crack the 50?

HH
18/09/2006 at 22:00
Many apologies Veloricaptor, just realised I spelt your name wrong...should have copied and pasted :0).
18/09/2006 at 22:01
Ha Ha ! Vrap, I know Exactly what you mean and next week I will be cleaning the Utility room to work off my excess energy. ( I make really bad flapjack).

Hi HH , I feel exactly the same about the LSR though I suspect it's the correct way to train.

I've just returned form a 6 miler with my running club and surprisingly no sore knee today. Hopefully if I avoid hills all will be fine for next weekend......
18/09/2006 at 23:20
ROFLMAO, happy hermit :oD

I was delighted with my sub-50 10k. The best tip I can pass on is one that eL Bee casually threw in my direction a few months ago when I was running 10 to 11 -minute-miles - "think like a fast runner even when you're running slowly".

And mine would be, "Run like hell, because once you've warmed up you're never more than 6 miles from the finish."

I won't be taking a pop at my own 10k PB this year. The only other 10k I'm doing is the Suicide Six(ish), which is an off-road obstacle race for fun (my PB for THAT one is 72 minutes). The priority will be building up long runs.

18/09/2006 at 23:23
Hello all. It's been a LONG time since I have posted on here, but my FLM entry has just gone in the post so fingers crossed.

I did run FLM in 2000 in 4 hrs 32 mins having started from scratch in the New Year. This year, I have completed a season of triathlons (mainly sprint distance with one olympic distance) so am in a far better place running wise (I even do speed work now!).

Having put my last 5k and 10k runs (done as the end of triathlons) in to the race time predictor, it says somewhere between 3:45 and 4:08 so sub 4 sounds good to me! So looks like I should hang out with you guys. Sounds like you are all cracking on well with training - 7 months and 3 days to go ... I might start tomorrow!

Looking forward to some good old winter training and forum bashing.

Yours, a saggy old cloth cat.
18/09/2006 at 23:29
Hello Bagpus :o) Good to see you back!
19/09/2006 at 17:28
My extra emergencey marathon programme is

20 miler this Sunday (which could take most of the day), 18 the week after (assuming I have finished the 20 miler by then ), 6 mile taper, then the marathon.

Wish I could pull out from a sporting point of view; the charity means too much to me though. Doing it for my dad; who is home now by the way :) Going to give it my best shot....bearing in mind that I am doing Snowdonia mara. two weeks later!

When is Abers? Not run it myself, but I have heard wonderful things about how friendly/scenic the course is etc. You will have a blast.
19/09/2006 at 18:01
That's a scary 6 weeks ahead of you, RD! I assume you're going to take things very easy between your two marathons?

Abingdon's on 22nd October. It's a very flat course but I'm not sure whether or not that will be an advantage since I train on undulating routes, cross-train by hill-walking and have a mean downhill kick! I was only planning to toddle along to support, but a race number fell in my direction and I couldn't resist grabbing it.

I'm not going to set the Oxfordshire tarmac alight this time, and won't be too surprised if I outrun my training and have to walk a big chunk at the end.

Using my 10k time, the RW calculator predicts that I'm capable of a sub-3.40 marathon. I'm laughing - but a little bit of me is thinking that with sustained and sensible training I could be looking at a GFA place in 2009 ...
20/09/2006 at 08:48
Ah go for it.

I am definately goinmg to aquaint myself with the run/walk approach to both my marathons.

You will be fine V.rapt. Just don't go off too quickly...make yourself run slow for the first two miles or even three. Then if your feeling good at about 18-20 miles, go for it.

Feeling good at 18-20 miles in a marathon is something thats never happened to me....but I wish you well ;)
20/09/2006 at 13:26
Is that run/walk from the start or run till you can't run any more and then walk, RD? I've used the latter approach in all my marathons so far.

This time I'm planning to try to hold back to LSR pace (no faster than 9.30mm) from the start and treat the race as a training run. I suspect that by 18-20 miles I'll be wanting to walk rather than to push the pace!

Wondering how long I should leave it between racing a half-marathon (and I'm going to be eyeballs-out on this one because it's my main racing goal for this autumn) and doing my next long run, which will be 15-16 miles. I'll have an opportunity on the Thursday, but that might be too soon, and doing it at the weekend would interfere badly with family stuff. It might end up being the following Monday, which would mean leaving it no more than a week before my next long run ... might just see how my legs are and then decide.

22/09/2006 at 18:19
Hi All

Sounds like there are a lot of people with fairly punishing schedules to run through over the next few weeks - Good Luck with those. You're all making me feel very lazy and so I'm thinking of entering a 10k in Pickering where we are going for half term. Apart from that and next weeks half there's nothing on my agenda and I was actually looking forward to taking it a bit easier! ( Note to self: must be more committed !)

Good Luck to everyone this weekend.. enjoy your 20miler RD and hope you're managing those pre Windsor nerves V'rap.

I'll look forward to hearing how you get on.
I'm going to support Mr QQ as he runs his first 10k !

23/09/2006 at 09:19
Best wishes for Mr QQ in his 10k :o) And for everyone else who is running or racing this weekend.

I've never been as wibbled-out before a race as I am about my half tomorrow. This is the first time I've set myself a living-on-the-edge sort of target time for a race, and the first time I'll have raced with someone faster pacing me.

But tonight I'm staying with good friends in London and I know I'll relax when I get there :o)
23/09/2006 at 10:39
Ooooooh V'rap I'm actually nervous for you ! As you say , a trip to London and a night with friends is exactly the right sort of distraction. Small glass of wine perhaps ?!?

One week before my long anticipated Half I actually feel the pressure is off due to a sore knee. It got really sore on last Sunday's long run, was fine on a steady 6 miler on monday , niggled on wed and recurred this morning. Not sure whether it's ITBS but feels more joint related ?? cartilage. I plan to 'RICE' and pop NSAIDS all week then go out and see how it goes next sunday. Obviously bit fed up , but keeping PMA (resisted temptation to pawn new running shoes) and it's quite nice not to be feeling the pressure.

Hope you all have good weekend!!
Thanks on Mr QQs behalf for good wishes Vrap and go for it tomorrow !!!

23/09/2006 at 12:14
Wine sounds like excellent medicine for pre-race nerves, QQ :o) I know food and sleep and getting to the race won't be a problem, and the kids are with their father this weekend so I won't have .

Sorry to hear you've developed an injury :o( I hope it turns out to be a selflimiting sort of thing. Who knows, maybe a week of relative rest will translate into a storming race for you.

Knowing that I have absolutely no excuse for not getting a good PB tomorrow definitely puts the pressure on.
23/09/2006 at 14:21
QQ - hope the knee gets better real soon. Fingers crossed for you.

V.rapt - the very best of luck for you tomorrow. I will be thinking of you whilst I am out plodding tomorrow. Let us know how you get on as soon as you can!
funkin-baby    pirate
23/09/2006 at 14:28
Yeah, good luck to all racing this weekend and next. I'm still working towards the Cabbage Patch 10 miler in a few weeks time.
23/09/2006 at 15:11
Hi all, good to see that people's training is going good. Have not had time to post on here for a while, so I thought I best pop in and say hello. I think I have maneged to over train the last couple of weeks, feel tired keep getting sore eyes and I have just developed a cold sore (something I don't normally get) and I have a bit of a sore throat. So I have decided on a week off, best of luck to everyone else.
24/09/2006 at 12:16
Just back from my 20 miler. Ouch, that hurt :(

Jus, willing to bet you have hit the nail on the Head with the cold sore thing. Take plenty of vit C and rest up.

I am going to try and walkabout for a bit and try and get some blood flowing into my legs.

Cath yer later..
24/09/2006 at 13:22
Nice one with the 20 miler, I did one last Saturday and I think it was that, that pushed me over the edge. Although saying that my long runs at the weekend normally are between 15-20 miles, but anyway time for a rest.
24/09/2006 at 13:45
Well Done RD, 20 miles is further than I've ever run..Don't think I'd be able to stand up let alone "walk about for a bit" !!.

A week off sounds like the right plan Jus. Sure I read somewhere that your levels of immunity dip shortly after a long run. Hope you're feeling good again soon.

Thanks for good wishes re my knee , I'm sending it healing vibes.. oh and Ibuprofen. Just been to see Mr QQs 10k . Despite the thunderstorm he really enjoyed himelf and came in under 1 hour so he's really pleased. He already analysed it minute by minute on the Garmin !!

141 to 160 of 24,996 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.