FLM 2009

3:30 Anyone ?

1,901 to 1,913 of 1,913 messages
02/05/2009 at 10:31

Hi all, sounds like Seville could be a good turn out.  David, I have now done 3 marathons abroad and to be honest I actually found them better than London.

Ian not doing Great Baddow as it is my parents 25th wedding aniversay the night before and more importantly, after another trip to the phisio yesterday, it is confirmed that I have torn a calf muscle on my right leg so no running for me for a couple of week to allow for recovery and then ease back into running.  So just going to concentrate in getting the leg better and hopefully will be able to do the Southend half.

02/05/2009 at 10:33

Chris

I agree with what carlo has said above about 10k training (I've never raced a 5k!),  I would also look to throw in some hill reps,  decent fartlek running and some strength work in the gym,  both core work and upper / lower body weights. I've got a weights circuit which I try and do once a week when training for shorter distances.  Because it generally follows a lower body rep with an upper body rep then there is no resting time between sets of reps which is quite good aerobically as well. 

I think it's essential to get below those times you've mentioned for 5k / 10k to have a good chance of a sub 3h30m but it's perfectly doable over the course of the summer,  good luck.

As for me,  very quiet week this week.  Gentle 20mins spin on thebike and cross trainer on Weds and nothing since.  I cancelled yesterday's swim due to a serious hangover and had a gentle walk instead! My knee is still quite sore on the outside but I'm going to be swimming & cycling over the weekend and if the legs feel better then will take in a 40min run mid next week.  I've got UK Ironman 70.3 tri in 6 weeks so will be taking in a couple of shorter tris before then and will look to Abingdon marathon in October for a sub 3h20m (gulp) which is the qualifying time for Boston next year.

02/05/2009 at 10:34
David, online entries for Seville don't open until August, September.
02/05/2009 at 12:25

Jaffa, realise one of the very few advantages of just turning 50 that I have now done the qualifying time for Boston of under 3hrs 30. Trying to do 3hrs 20 would also make me gulp! My partner is going to try for that in Berlin in order to qualify as he needs to do 3hrs 20 too and his PB is only 3hrs 31.

Will try doing some upper/lower body weight circuits. At the moment, I tend to do upper body with weights a couple of times a week, but not at same time as lower body or running.

Good luck with the ironman - have never felt capable of doing a triathlon, but may try it some time.

02/05/2009 at 20:53

I'm sure a half decent gym manager would sort you out a programme David,  but if you want a copy of what I do as a starting point just drop me an email through the site and I'll send it to you next week when I get back into work.

I do like the sound of Seville as well,  it could well be a 3:30 thread reunion over there!

03/05/2009 at 10:49
Went for a short run this morning- I couldn't even maintain my marathon pace and my legs felt like lead!  I can belive the recovery rate of a mile per week!
04/05/2009 at 19:23

Did a 5k race yesterday in 21mins dead (which was how I felt at the end on my first post-marathon race). Then did a 10k race today that I was committed to as it was a club series run. Did first 5k okay in 20:45, but then really felt tired and my shoelaces came undone (phew, relief to have an excuse) and finished in 43:50, more or less 7 min pace. I do not think the 5 pints after the race yesterday then a big meal with wine - plus a whole tray of chocolates - helped! But had decided to have one week of decadence. Now from tomorrow will try and get back to a sensible training and eating regime in preparation for Strassbourg Marathon at end June.

I have a session booked with an endurance coach at my gym and have booked 10 personal training sessions Jaffa, so hopefully will get a programme including upper body etc, but will be in touch for your advice if not.

Yes, a reunion in Seville sounds good.

David

04/05/2009 at 19:33
David - well done.  I was struggling to do 5min/hm pace over 5miles yesterday!
04/05/2009 at 19:39
Thanks OS. My partner is finding it slow to recover pace too - but I think everyone is different and the key thing is to just do what is really comfortable I think. Seems to be research that says actually if you do nothing at all for the 2 weeks following a marathon, you get back to fitness quicker in the long term. But so much contradictory advice out there I would just do what feels good and not worry at all if it feels a bit slow getting back. But its frustrating isnt it, feeling heavy-legged running at a fraction of speed you used to - just shows what doing a marathon takes out of you! We must be mad....
04/05/2009 at 22:34
OK you guys I feel jealous that you are back running and I am not.  Stomach has been fine but my calf hasn't.  Do you think it would be save to do cycling?
05/05/2009 at 18:33

I've not been running yet either RL,  I've managed a decent cycle ride yesterday and biked into work this morning.

If you've pulled / put a small tear in your calf then I would err on the side of caution and leave it a little longer,   get a physio to look at it and give you some ultrasound and they'll be able to advise when it's reasonable to start exercising again.   It is frustrating being injured but it's even more frustrating coming back slightly too early and then having even longer out when it reoccurs.  Hope you get it sorted soon,  then ease back into training gradually. 

06/05/2009 at 08:38
Thanks Jaffa, physio has already had a look and try some treatment on it, it is a small tear at the top of the calf muscle.  OK will give it another week before doing anything, as it is throbbing a bit at times.
06/05/2009 at 16:45

sorry to hear about the injury rioja, but Im sure you need the recovery time.

David - interesting points about your long runs. I think that again I was probably 1 or 2 long runs light, and could have done with the extra mileage in my legs. There was only 4 mins difference in our times but Im sure those extra miles did a lot for your mental as well as physical strength.

Im seriously contemplating Paris now - and thinking seriously about Loch Ness

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,901 to 1,913 of 1,913 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.