FLM Beginners training

FLM Beginners Training

1 message
25/07/2006 at 16:30
Hi Phil

You have got sound advice from loads of people now! My only other comment is as you have to put down a predicted time on your form, put down half an hour quicker on the form than you think you will do cos a) you will improve over the year and
b) you won't be held up so much in traffic.

I wanted to do 4 hours for my first one this year and as I said was slightly outside (4h 10m) but was still happy, but on my form I put down 3h 30m. Also - its hard to know what time you will do aim for about 4 hour ish time cos if you put much slower you will be with all the costumes at the back! Also - once you get into the swing of your training, runners world have pacers - 8 min mile pacer, 9 min mile, 10 etc. This is a great idea especially for your first time as it stops you looking at your watch all the time and doing split times etc. I stayed with the 9 min mile pacer for most of it then lost him in the crowd!

Just train really gradually. I'm entering again as I loved it. Make sure you have one or two rest days and get the correct trainers! Another thing - most important of all - enjoy the whole experience! I did! If you can join a running club too that will help as you can train with people similar pace to you for the long runs and maybe slightly faster than you for the short speed/tempo runs.

Good luck!
Michelle

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.