FLM Breakfast!

3 messages
27/03/2007 at 21:13
This is my 3rd marathon and im still a bit unsure as to how long before the start we should have our carbo breakfast? I usually have a bagel,banana and an energy bar. Also will a gel pre marathon help?

RD
27/03/2007 at 23:19
Hi Dan. General advice is to eat your pre-race brekky 3-4 hours before the start. Sounds like you're eating the right kind of carbs, and again, the general rule of thumb is 2.5g of Carbs per kg of bodyweight. So I'd eat 175g carbs, as I weigh 70kg. This can be in food or energy drink form. You can top this up approx 1.5 hours before the off with another energy drink, approx 750-1000ml. If energy gels work for you, by all means go with it. If I had one just before the start I'd get stitch straight away, so really down to the individual. Practice all this in training prior to race day. Hope this helps.
28/03/2007 at 22:49
Cheers D

Good advice. Is all about preparation so i guess 6am is the time for breakfast on FLM day!

I only use gels on long runs and i normally use one per hour starting at six miles-so ill have 3 for the FLM plus a flat red bull at 22 miles.

RD

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.