FLM Training: Wardi

Follow Wardi as he trains for a sub-3:00 marathon

381 to 400 of 557 messages
18/03/2008 at 17:51

When I did 3:00.31 at London 2 years ago, I ran 1:31:00 first half and then 1:29.31 second half. It nearly worked for sub3. Negative split sounds good again but I worry about not having a little buffer by half way incase I have a bad mile so can afford to slip a little! We will see nearer the time.

Blisters. Read your post and my hand is staying strapped to my side. I am struggling to run sub 7 minute miles for the last 3rd of my 20mile+ long runs let alone run the whole 26.2 at 6.50 pace. I'm sure when we are all tapered and ready to go on 13 April it will be no problem!!

Can anyone advise please. Should 22miles this weekend be slow with only 3 weeks to go or should I be running some of it at MP?

Edited: 18/03/2008 at 18:01
18/03/2008 at 20:48
Many happy returns for today Steve. Welcome to the wrinklies age category and may you win many prizes within it.

am.. 4.1 miles easy

pm.. 7.3 miles with clubmates. Legs still just a touch weary from Sunday run so no heroics. Av. 7:30 pace with a couple of miles in 6:50, 6:47.

Gavin.. I think many would advise an easy start then do the middle 12-15 @ MP with a warm down in the last few miles.
18/03/2008 at 22:37

Gavin

I would suggest first 10 nice and easy and then try and hit marathon pace for 3-5 miles and then ease back for rest of run. I think too much at marathon pace would take too much out of you.

thanks wardi

I seemed to have slowed instantly.

19/03/2008 at 14:44

Wardi - Not sure which pen i'm in for FLM, can you find out before collecting your number? (put an optomistic 2:55 as my predicted time)

Gavin - Planning a similar run to you this weekend. Like the sound of the Slow - MP - Slow approach suggested above. How would you compare your form this time around compared to your last attempt?

Right need to clock some miles up, only managed 1 x training session so far this week.

19/03/2008 at 16:05
Unfortunately not Phil. As a guide they tend to take a previous marathon time before a 'hoped for' time. If this is your debut I would guess that you will be in pen 1 as per our 2:55 prediction. You won't know for certain until you pick your number up - there will be a small numbered sticker on the bottom corner of your number.

Blisters.. what's this about you cancelling your family room at County Hall? Were you thinking of roughing it in a youth hostel? {O:
19/03/2008 at 18:30

Phil, I feel that I have trained much better this time round as I have followed the RW sub3 programme failrly closely. Last time I followed sub3.15 (may even have been 3.30) programme and missed quite a few runs.

I did however manage a 1:23 half leading up to the 3:00.31 at London in 2006. Did a half this year on same weekend and could only manage 1:26!! I had run a 1:28 half marathon  3 weeks before though so that could be why and did 22 miles the Sunday before.)

I am really feeling it though this week. Did 20miles on Sunday in 2:30, 5 easy Monday,  I only did 4 x 1mile at 6:10m/m yesterday (instead of 6x as sub3schedule). Did 8 miles easy (7:55 pace) today. I am really feeling achy now. Right calf feels sore when running but does not get any worse.

Overall I feel much better prepared this time than when I got 3:00.31 2 years ago, but I don't have the 1:23 half under my belt this time so am actually quite worried. I am praying that because I have been more consistant with my training (have done regular speed work, brisk runs, easy runs and have not missed any long runs) I am going to benefit greatly from the 3 week taper and be much stronger than 2 years ago. I also started training properlyat beginning of November this time round (did not a lot until December 2 years ago).

Steve and Wardi. Thank You for the advice RE 22 miler at weekend. I will do 10 @7:50, 4-5 @ 6:50 and then last 7 @ 7:50.  

Edited: 19/03/2008 at 18:32
19/03/2008 at 20:46
A lovely night for a run so I did what I postponed last week due to injury precaution. Roughly one third daylight, one third fading light and one third darkness. A pleasamt run through the country lanes and villages on the way home from work.

16 miles steady at av 8mm pace. I like to do a couple of these midweek longer long runs in the build up, good endurance and confidence boosters.

Now I am sure that the shin is ok I will get back to some sharper stuff in the next few days.
19/03/2008 at 20:59

Did a solid mid weeker, 14 miles at 7.25 m/m. Legs felt pretty good, except on a steep hill session. I need to hit at least 45 miles this week, as I'm feeling guilty about my mini taper last week.

Gavin - Sounds like the training has gone really well. I reckon that will give you a mental edge as well as the obvious physical benifits on the day! I think I'll try the above 22 mile plan, however, I really struggle to run slower than 7.30 (not that I can run much faster).

Wardi- Thanks for the pen info. I have done one previous marathon- 3.28. It was a last minute, 2 week notice, fill in for a friend job. Training consisted of a 10 miler, day off, 20 miler, straight into taper. Knees took about 4 weeks to forgive me!

Blisters    pirate
19/03/2008 at 22:36

Wardi: you mis-read my post, I fear. I haven't cancelled my booking at County Hall. I've kept that. I've cancelled my booking at Southwark - a booking I made earlier, when there was no room at County Hall. Then a room turned up, and I booked it. Mind you, I am gnashing teeth at the blatant price hiking adopted for that weekend.

As for training, I've got a couple of good days in. Playing it by ear still.

19/03/2008 at 22:38
good run Wardi - about 13 miles more than I managed. This sort of training will hold you in good tsead in a month.
20/03/2008 at 21:41
Slept like a log last night and a touch weary today (over 55 miles in the last 4 days so not too surprised). Deliberately ran with a recent club recruit at an easy pace, 7 miles in very windy conditions.

Blisters.. I know what you mean about the 'special' hotel rates for FLM weekend. How are we to budget for all this? We had a one minute silence in our local hostelry on Tuesday - a pint of the local Sam Smiths Bitter has now gone up to an astronomical £1:32!
Blisters    pirate
21/03/2008 at 00:14

I'm starting to revert to Northern tendencies.

I declined to enter Bath HM due to the £30+ entry fee.
London seems good value on the face of it, but will top over £400 when added up. That's not so good.

I fancy Abingdon again. Come on down, you'd enjoy it.

21/03/2008 at 03:14
Well 36.20 for 10km today, not too unhappy given punishment of last couple of weeks. Best part being beating all my male training buddies who thrash me at speedwork. Easy hour in the bush tomorrow then last long one Sunday. Oh and also won a pair of shoes. Course that did not excite my kids but you can never have too many shoes, at last count I have 9 pairs of runners all with different uses.
Blisters    pirate
21/03/2008 at 12:18
Brilliant result Glenda, that is a seriously quick time too. Congratulations on the prize: some people just don't understand, do they?
21/03/2008 at 18:23
Excellent run Glenda. There are lots of Imelda Marcos types on the forum with many pairs of running shoes so you are not alone!

Still a bit leg weary so today is a rest day. I am still planning my last long run. I have the choice of Sunday, Monday or Tuesday, so I will almost certainly do it on the day with the least daunting weather forecast!

The Bath half sounded like a bit of a shambles Blisters so money well saved.
22/03/2008 at 20:20
Legs felt better after a day's rest so tried a gentle re-introduction to some faster stuff. 6 miles inc. 8 x 0.5 mile, managed an average of 2:56 with 1 min recovery. No reaction at all from the shin area so I reckon I'm all clear on the injury front.

Steve.. I intend to do the last long run Sunday or Monday. Would you recommend taking most of it at an easy pace with the Kingston 16 in mind next weekend?
22/03/2008 at 21:06

Wardi,
Just wannted to check in with ou and see how everything is going. Have read your last few posts, sounds like everything is looking good. Would suggest doing you last long run this weekend at the same pace as you've done the rest of them up to now. Would also suggest that you do the Kingston 16 at your usual long run pace. It's too close to London to think of doing a run of that length anything closer than long run pace, with the possible exception of a few miles at marathon pace thrown in to shake the legs out. Keep it going mate, we're almost there. 

BTW, Bath half was a shambles, so money well saved by Blisters for sure. 

23/03/2008 at 08:27

Blisters
Dartmoor Vale is a good value marathon...

23/03/2008 at 10:47

Battled the hail, high winds and the hills of Oxfordshire yesterday, to log my last long run. Kept to the plan - 22miles at 7:45 with 6 at M.P. between 10 and 16 miles. Felt reasonably comfatable apart from mile 19, straight into wind up a 10 degree slope with a smattering of hail... good for the soul as they say.

Feeling smug now, so its time to exact some revenge on those Easter eggs who have been mocking me all week!

Good luck one and all with your final long runs. Might be a case of 'train hard... race easy' with this weekends weather in mind!

23/03/2008 at 14:10

22 miler also complete. Not as quick as you though Phil and although windy, it is even a little sunny in Shrewsbury today.

Roughly as planned. First 10 at 7.45-7.50 then 4 miles at 6:50, followed by 8 miles at 7.50-8.00. Thanks again for the advice Steve and Wardi. MP in middle worked well.

3 weeks to go!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.