FLM Virgin

36,081 to 36,100 of 36,241 messages
25/04/2012 at 14:14

I stopped immediately as I crossed the mat and stepped to the side and leant against the gantry out of the way of other runners.  A medic came over, and said “Are you alright Daz?”  (see, name printed on shirt has it’s uses)  I said I was just stiff and knackered, he said best to keep moving.  I then had chip clipped off and medal presented, by Robin and Janice respectively who said “Well done Daz”, I thanked them both by name.

Retrieved my kit-bag and sat down on one of those huge square stone blocks by the side of the big white medic tent.  Switched on mobile phone.  First text in, “Are you entitled to PPI compensation?” – fuck off!I I couldn’t remember if VLM confirms chip-time by text like some other races, they don’t!  Second text within about 1min of the first, “Free Laser Eye surgery”, go away!  Another guy about my age had shuffled and sat next to me.  We discussed the texts and laughed about them, shame I didn’t get a text about “Do u need new legs” lol.  The other guy was gutted, he too wanted sub 3:15 but believed he was about 5 seconds too slow, how frustrating.

Called missus, said I would shuffle down to meeting point.  Spoke to young girl who was stood there changing shoes as I came off the phone, congratulated her on her finish as she did me.  She asked how I got on and said I’d achieved my target of GFA, but ironically I was seriously thinking that this would be my last marathon.  Coincidentally, she said she felt the same, this one had drained her and she said “Never again”.  Met at meeting point, then tried to shuffle through HorseGuards to get on to Whitehall.  Some cock was walking immediately in front of me then decided to stop to take a photo of the soldier.  As I crashed into him I cursed “Don’t stop, I won’t be able to get going again!”.  Onto Whitehall, sat on central reservation/pelican crossing kerbstone in the sunshine whilst missus fetched me beer from pub.  Lovely!

Ahem – I seem to remember more than I thought I did lol.

Pictures are also out – race number 4416.

26/04/2012 at 01:38

Daz, Awesome!  Sub 3:10 next, it would be a rude not to!

At least you look better than that bloke in the yellow vest in the background of your photos around Big Ben!

26/04/2012 at 02:30

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/13160/Gallery/97020788[1].jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/13160/Gallery/97220240[1].jpg

26/04/2012 at 09:31
Good report and pictures Daz...... you did so great.... onwards to the next time...
26/04/2012 at 12:29
Fantastic account Daz, and Windy's right-the guy in yellow isn't looking so crash hot!!
02/05/2012 at 07:02
Where is everyone????????????  Time to 'fess up - who entered the ballot?  I did but if I get a place I'll be deferring as I have Brighton Marathon next year
02/05/2012 at 08:36
I'd assumed my long-winded account had put everyone to sleep lol.

I did not, but then again I don't need to yet lol
02/05/2012 at 09:39

hmm,  i wonder how many places are allocated to peeps who plan to defer??

would be good if they could say well enough in advance for Virgin to do a second ballot for peeps who wanna run that year.

02/05/2012 at 09:55
I didn't enter the ballot...... am hoping to run Vienna the week before with my son Adam next year and hopefully will be working at Excel. After 4 days on your feet it isn't good practice for a good run in London. I prefer to support others.
02/05/2012 at 10:22
Oh yes, forgot to say that I agree that the guy does look rather poorly in the background of my 1 photo.

I will enter VLM as GFA, 'cos eldest son has applied through ballot so will need to take him around course.
03/05/2012 at 01:28

No ballot for me.  Haven't run a marafun for more than a year and half.  Will have to press on and see if I can get a GFA time, sub 3:10!  Gulp....

Although not going to keep paying for entries and then be out of the country on race day, as has happened on the last few occassions.  It's like a charitable donation to a business!

Gatton, does Vienna repeatedly take you over the little hillock bridges over the canals, or have they found some continuously flat drier ground.

Daz, now how good does GFA feel?  Still v. chuffed for you.

03/05/2012 at 17:04

Windy, not sure of route as haven't been to Vienna since about 1980. have looked at route via website and son moves out there in 3 weeks so will have a better idea after that.

14/05/2012 at 15:11
The GFA still feels good, cheers Windy.

V quiet on here. I've been v lazy, but trying to get back into it, did fast 5 on fri then plodded 10.25 on Sat.

Other stuff prevented anything today, will hopefully get out tomorrow.

Hope you're all well?
15/05/2012 at 12:21

Very, very quiet.  Plodding along!

Nothing wrong with being lazy Daz and I hardly think running 10.25 on Saturday counts as being lazy anyway!

Counting down to summer holidays now - OH has bought tickets to go to Cyprus and didn't realise at the time it's while the Olympics are on!  What a twit!  We didn't have any tickets anyway but I would have liked to have gone and seen the ladies marathon!

17/05/2012 at 15:03

Trigg... A true supporter would stay and watch or at least come back on the day..... jesting ..... you have a great holiday. we will keep the Olympic flame burning... lol xx

19/05/2012 at 13:42

An even lazier week, just one 5.05 mile run, done this morning.  I did do 45 mins aerobics followed by 45 mins Body Conditioning yesterday.  Had very little upper body strength to do the weights, and my core was sore today on my run from the sit-ups we did.

Summer holiday talk already, sounds good.  Enjoy Cyprus again Trigg!

Watched the Olympic flame arrive last night on TV, and some of the relay this morning - all exciting stuff.

13/07/2012 at 11:28

Hi guys, about time our thread came back to the first page....

I am posting my GFA form and cheque this morning, however at the moment I fully plan on deferring till 2014.  Have just come back from 3 wks in America, ran eod and am up to 4 miles - woo hoo!  Am considering park run tomorrow.  Back/pelvis better but still not right, am supposed to be having an MRI scan at some point.

Kids fine, Eric huge, Matilda at last wk of pre school before starting 'big school' in Sept.  How time flies!

Hope all are well and looking forward to the olympics.  The torch comes our way a wk on Sunday so need to plan where to go and watch it.

13/07/2012 at 15:14

Glad you back running Caro and the family are doing well. I have my first of 34 shifts for the Olympics on Monday so will be a bit busy. Let me know if oyu have any tickets or are visiting the Olympic park at any time. I am at Hadleigh Farm and Box Hill.

13/07/2012 at 20:25
We have several tickets and will be t the park a few times. I just hope it's not a total nightmare with transport and queues etc. we have hockey, basketball, handball and sync swimming, plus Paralympic athletics and trAck cycling.

Good luck with the volunteering, and have fun.
21/07/2012 at 04:44

Let me know when and what area (ticket wise ) u are at track cycling and I will try to get to see you. i am there each day...having fun ... so far...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.