FLM Virgin

41 to 60 of 36,241 messages
13/12/2005 at 09:05
I've just entered for the love run on the 11th Feb in Battersea Park - that's a 10k.
13/12/2005 at 09:19
OMG, rich i just entered into the weston 10 mile run. lol. see you there mate!! what you put down as your time?
13/12/2005 at 09:27
I can't remember now but I think I put 1:50.

I'd like to do the marathon @ 10:30 miles, well, its a target but I won't be beating myself up if I miss it.

How about you for the tough ten?
13/12/2005 at 09:31
Jenny - which half are you doing?

I only picked a hilly one because its local!
13/12/2005 at 09:43
im hoping for about 1:30 - 1:45 finish. lol. what you go for affiliated or un-affiliated?? im confused. im very new to this competition entry stuff. also you thinking of taking your camelpack?
13/12/2005 at 10:09
Well I thought my training was going well but have had to stop now as having pains in my calves. Getting very frustrated - dont want to lose all the fitness that I had gained but know that it would be silly to run and make it worse....
How long before I lose my fitness??????
13/12/2005 at 10:15
dont worry about it,. the pains in your calfs are your bodys own way of telling you to slow down a bit. Rest completly until your calfs are better and maybe 1 or 2 days over just to make sure and then build up slowly to where you sould be. don t go for it on your first run back. otherwise you will injure yourself again. im sure you will be fine!
13/12/2005 at 10:46
I am doing Stafford on 19 March, It is only about 20 miles from me, the others around this date were all at least 70 miles away. 4 weeks ago a half in itself would be a major deal, but it pales in comparison to how I scared I feel about London a month later! I didn't have to put an expected time on my entry, best to keep my options open. I suppose I will have a better idea of what time I will do when I have done a few longer runs. At the moment it feels like it would take me 6 hours to get round 13 miles!
13/12/2005 at 10:49
lol, tell me about it jenny. at the moment even thinking about the 10 mile race is daunting. plus im not a person for cold weather... but still im going to do this be hook or by crook. I can just picture it now.. my dragging myself over the finish line at 11:45PM. lol
13/12/2005 at 10:50
Does anyone have any suggestions for a bottle pack? I want one the goes round my waist but not too bulky??? HELPPPP!!!!
13/12/2005 at 10:55
Fiona, I use a Nathan bottle holder, that goes round my waist like a bum-bag! The people at my local running shop recommended it (maybe they just see me as an easy target as I believe anything they say!) for my longer runs....when I do them, as I always seem to need to drink loads, even on a short run. As I have'nt done any really long runs yet I can't comment on how comfy it is after a longer time, but it seems really comfy now, and the bottle is quite big. Mine just has one bottle, but there were ones that held more.
13/12/2005 at 10:58
There are tones of different types of bottle packs so best get down the shop to see what suits.
However, one idea is to get something like a SIS http://www.scienceinsport.com/ specific pack. These bottles have all the appropriate markings for energy drinks which is pretty helpful when the miles get long.
13/12/2005 at 11:01
I have a waist bottle holder like the one that Jenny is describing but it had a pouch to carry gels and stuff and 2 holsters for drinks bottles. I also have a Cammelback for my long runs where i will need lots of fluid as the waist pouch gets too uncomfortable on long runs. The cammelback is just like a rucksack.
13/12/2005 at 11:05
Lazer, will you be waring that for the marathon - will it not be too heavy?
13/12/2005 at 11:10
no i will not be wearing it for the marathon, because there will be water stations on rute their. on my long runs its just little old me...
13/12/2005 at 11:10
Lazer - I don't have any drink carrying stuff. When training for the half marathon last year I just carried a 750ml bottle in my hands. Not ideal. I don't know about a pack as I am the worlds sweatiest man and the thought of something attached to me doesn't appeal. I think I'll either stash bottles or do loops on my long training runs.

As to the affiliated thing, I think thats if you are a member of a running club, which I am not. I do think about joining but haven't got around to it yet. Maybe tomorrow, there is a 5 mile race around Weston seafront and if I run a personal best I'll come in about 3rd from last, based on the last run they did.

Jenny - I know what you mean. A month ago I was really worrying about the tough ten, now I'm just seeing it as a training run. Bizarre.
13/12/2005 at 11:11
I'm thinking of wearing my water pack on the day - it will be packed with gel and bars to keep me going...
13/12/2005 at 11:13
Thanks Jenny - think I will pop to the FLM shop at lunch and check out their stock.
13/12/2005 at 11:14
each to their own i guess in regards to how you train.

there isnt a club near me so i do it alone.

Rich - you loko as a half marathon as a training run too ?? Bizzare....
13/12/2005 at 11:17
I bet they will have loads for you to choose from, but if you are at all like me, the problem is when I go into those places, I always end up coming out with 'important equipment' that I never intended to buy (most of it I have never even heard of before!). The blokes would say it is the typical female shopping 'instinct'!
41 to 60 of 36,241 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.