Fuelling long runs without gels/powdered drinks

Anyone done it?

101 to 104 of 104 messages
cougie    pirate
10/01/2013 at 11:59

Aah ok then. 

TimR is right - your body will adapt. I used to think that 6 miles was a stupid distance to run, and now I can run 20 miles off nothing more than a few jelly beans. Its the training you do that adapts the body to the exercise. You really dont need large amounts of fuel on top of what your body has to do the marathon.  I

ts the training that gets you round - not the feeding.

10/01/2013 at 13:58

Now that I think of it. Why does anyone training for a marathon these days need to force their bodies to adapt for fat burning instead of glycogen.

Historically, during a race, the marathon runners would receive no food at all. Once they received no drink either. 

So really what your average marathon participant needs to do is just run enough miles so their leg muscles can handle the impact of several hours on the road.

They should train like cyclists, to eat while on the move.

cougie    pirate
10/01/2013 at 14:07

Its a lot easier to take on food on a bike - your tummy isnt jiggling round so much. 

seren nos    pirate
10/01/2013 at 14:12

when running the muscles are using up more energy so they are demanding the blood supply.making less available for other functions such as digestion..........

on the bike the body can cope better with doing the two things at once..........just got to avoid crashing whilst trying to get the food out of the bags

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 104 of 104 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.