Glucose Tablets

21 to 23 of 23 messages
07/02/2013 at 14:04

Mountaingoat - The best advice I can give is listen to your body.  If its a training run I only eat if I have too.  That way you are training your body to use fuel more effciently.  I read all the books while training for my first marathon and most of it is too generic.  As I said before, 10 miles is my comfort limit without more fuel but I can run 15 before it really starts to impact on performance.  When I think back back to my first marathon i'm almost embaressed to say I had a bum bag with gels and flapjack in.  You live and learn. I ran a 100k race last year and I met a guy after who had run the whole 62 miles on a bag of crisps and a banana! to me that is insane but it worked for him.   

07/02/2013 at 14:18
Swerve wrote (see)
Darrell's right - you'll get your lungs and nasal passages coated in sickly-sweet powder. Not worth the bother, not designed for the activity.

I have no trouble with the glucose tablets.  I just follow Cougie's procedure for taking them, maybe one a mile for the last few miles of long runs.

08/02/2013 at 00:45

thanks for the advice Loxley Crawshaw, much appreciated. It amazes me that the human body can adapt to running such long distances- I bet that when you did your first marathon you never invisaged running 62 miles!  I have been reading all the books etc, but I'll just see what works best. Not going to eat them glucose things again in a hurry thats for sure- packet of cheese and onion will do!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 23 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.