HADD ASICS SHADES FIRST with My Garmin !!!

Best laid plans......

5 messages
27/11/2012 at 20:19

I'm looking to follow a VLM marathon training plan and haven't decided which one yet. I like Shades' plan, but also like the ASICS email updates and run logging capability.

The FIRST program also makes sense, but before I decide are there any others I can stick in the pot? I've seen posts saying that the ASICS automated plans are not accurate  or should I favour HeartRate over Pace.

My plan is a 4 hr (ish) VLM, with 4 runs a week and a couple of other X-training activities (general gym activities) and like emails to remind / prompt me and an online progress tracking program.

Is there an online program where I can add my own plan based on Shades or similar?

Anyone suggest a suitable approach or throw more programs/methods into the mix?

Thanks, Tim

28/11/2012 at 10:24

Have you had a look at the Garmin ready plans on this (i.e. runners world) web site?

I've used these for half marathons and they download onto your Garmin, so all the speeds & duration are stored in the watch ready for use.

28/11/2012 at 11:37

Thanks, I've looked at these also, and it's great to get these onto the Garmin, but I can then adjust these in line with another program if that's a better route (perhaps Shades' plan).

Just looking for feedback on what's worked / or not worked for others before I decide and commit to a plan.

Thanks for the info..

28/11/2012 at 12:06

I'm a Shades fan. It's always worked out well for me.

28/11/2012 at 16:21
I've looked at Hal, P&D and RW but am sticking with Shades as I like the 4 runs per week with the flexibility of the 5th run. It includes a MWLR partly at marathon pace, a tempo run and a long run. Seems sensible to me and my first goal is to stay injury free which I think is more of a risk if I try and push it touch for my first one.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.