Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

201 to 220 of 788 messages
11/02/2013 at 17:39

DS2, you gotta do the ride!! so iconic.  Though currently I'm most annoyed that it finishes in the mall rather than stratford, as I'll have to cycle back east to get the train home after!! and I might not wanna sit on my bike after 102 miles!!!

I've spoken to a few people about training, adn they seem to think marathon fitness will carry me through, and like you said, just convert my training to on a bike, and i'll be fine, though i'll have to sit on a bike longer than i long run, so I might get pretty bored.....might have to learn puncture repair on the road as well...

Hopefully it'll keep me nice and fit for the next marathon in Bournemouth  Here's hoping for a sub 4 in that one, though they announced the route today and they have something called heartbreak hill at mile 18.... if a hill needs a name, then it can't be good...

11/02/2013 at 17:42

Also, I'm increasingly concerned there seem to be only 3 people doing Halstead marathon this year.... which inevitably means I'll come last 

11/02/2013 at 22:20
Thanks David was such a challenge but really enjoyed it!
Been really taking it slowly as still a little stiff, managing to take the pooch out so stretching the legs as I go

Bit of bad news Angela I'm not entering the colchester half now as its my stag weekend! Totally forgot that one lol!!

Guess il leave the drink for after halstead I think we will deserve it after that one
13/02/2013 at 20:57
Haven't posted for a while as nothing to say lol!!

Was meant to go out tonight but just felt a little bit sore in my ankle so don't want to make such a silly mistake!!

Planning on a nice easy run Friday now as cant run 2moro for obvious reasons

Hope all is well with everyone
14/02/2013 at 09:51

Hello,

Not had much to say myself, been getting the runs in according to plan.  3 on Tuesday morning, 5 yesterday.

Currently I'm contemplating about this weekend- the schedule has 6 miles pace on Sat, and 9 miles slow on Sun... I'm doing a Leadership in Running Fitness course, which will take up almost the whole day Sunday, so I can only really do 1 of the weekend runs.  My inclination is that at this stage the 6 mile pace will give me more benefit than the 9 miler, given I got the long run up to 12 miles on Sunday, so  this is a step back week anyway.

What do you think?

14/02/2013 at 13:23

yeah totally agree with you.

like you said its the lower mileage week. i might attempt the 6 on saturday after a slow plod on friday!! see how i feel after the slow one. i actually feel really good, dying to get out again but dont want to push it too soon! i recovered really well i think, ill see if its had any benefits soon when im back into the training again!

leadership in running fitness sounds interesting? whats that involve?

14/02/2013 at 16:21

LiRF- part of my frustration is living in essex, working in london means thers is no way i can join a local running club, plus they both seem fairly track focussed, so I want to start my own, and this is step 1.

http://www.runengland.org/page.asp?section=38&sectionTitle=Leadership+in+Running+Fitness

I've also been toying with the idea of becoming a PT for a few years now, but this is a cheap(er) way of finding out if I actually enjoy that kind of work...

15/02/2013 at 19:19
Had a look at the link and really seems interesting.

I nearly applied for a P.T job but it costs about 2k just to do the course then you have to go self employed.

Went out for a slow run tonight!! Covered about 2 miles but slow and gently easing my way in again sooo happy to be running again!
18/02/2013 at 13:09

just looked at the plan for this week!

everything has been extended  so this must mean we have improved?

hope everyones o.k and injury free

18/02/2013 at 13:37

Hey hey,

I've been having a bit of an assessment of my training this morning... the last few weeks haven't gone to plan- first the flu, then i missed both thursday sessions for poor excuses, then yesterday due to leadership in running fitness course.  I feel like I've been dropping off a bit fitness wise anyway, and I think this is down to nutrition.  I'm going to try and be a bit more disciplined with this from now on....

This morning I had a salmon bagel for breakfast, which usually fills me up... Just now for lunch, I had a massive plate of pasta from this place where I usually struggle to eat a half portion - I ate the whole lot.  This tells me I didn't eat enough after a trying run on Saturday, and even though I didn't run on Sunday.  Must eat more carbs to keep the energy up and the training good...

18/02/2013 at 14:53

hey angela, well the flu you cant help with  but atleast you've seen somewhere where you think its going wrong early in the plan!!

hopefully will be right on it soon

i was meant to ask you actually, when it comes to the 20 milers do you fancy getting together and doing them on a sunday?? i dont like the thought of training for that long alone  (although you are supposed to i know)

its totaly up to you mind but just thought its gotta be less daunting that way

another question (sorry). what gels, if any, are you thinking of using?? ive heard alot about the SiS ones, apparently they are quite good.

18/02/2013 at 16:11

Hey hey,

Man, i'm having an unproductive day!  I think the problem was that iwas trying to loose a bit of weight (post christmas and trip to new york), which i have done but I was dointg that by eating normal with increased training.  Now I need to really eat for my training...

I fear you may be a bit speedy for me over 20 miles...   but happy to give it ago, though I'll be away for the second one.  so 20 miles in the south of france...

I'm an SiS convert!  I used to use lucozade, just coz its available everywher, and is the one london marathon hands out (that was my first marathon), but i think they're disgusting.

I just got a delivery of their products today.  I'm going to try using this: http://www.scienceinsport.com/sis-products/sis-rego-range/sis-rego-night/  to see if it helps put a spring back in my step.. and pre my half marathon too to see how it feels.  Got a bunch of other stuff too- I;m sure some of it is gimmicky, but will give a go nonetheless!

18/02/2013 at 19:00
Well we can work something out if you like? I'm not that fast lol. Sounds like your going to have a nice relaxing holiday

I'm going to try some in a couple weeks at essex20 so hopefully they will work. Well they do say try everything lol
18/02/2013 at 20:25

Hi all,

I have been catching up  this reading through thread as I too am doing Halstead. I'm also doing the Colchester half and the Bournemouth Marathon later in the year. Having read through I am now thinking Essex20 would be good as well even if it's a LSR. I'm not a stalker I promise 

Just to fill you in I am 41 and living in Colchester, I am aiming for 3:45 for the marathon and then hopefully 3:30 at Bournemouth. I have done 4 marathons before, 3 over (ahem) 15 years ago now and London in 2007. I grew up in Colchester but moved to London when I was 18 but moved back about 18 months ago, I have family in and around Bournemouth too hence my selecting that for my end of year marathon. 

I have been running about 40 miles per week but sprained my ankle a few weeks back so managed 32 on my first week back this week. I run 4 times a week, and run/cycle run once a week as I am doing a Cross Ireland 48 hr charity cycle in June and I'm trying Duathlons after Bournemouth (My swimming ability rules out a TRI, think Jaws victim without the California tan)

There is lots of enthusiasm and alcohol references in what I have read so this feels like a natural home for me.

18/02/2013 at 20:32
Welcome oirisheyes! There's not many of us on here yet but all looking forward to it.

Good luck in your quest!
18/02/2013 at 20:40

Cheers DS2 I have noticed you are the king of positive thinking on this thread, I share a similar mindset. I am a great believer in distance running being every bit a mental exercise as it is physical.

What is it Henry Ford said? "If you think you can or can't do something you are probably right"

18/02/2013 at 21:59
Hello oirish, and welcome! Glad to see another colchestrian really looking forward to the Colchester half, though it looks a hilly one! Gotta sleep now, as 4 miler at 6am tomorrow... Eeep
19/02/2013 at 08:22

morning all,

hello oirisheyes welcome to the group  like DS2 said theres not many of us but hopefully we can make you feel welcome.

im the one who trains for a marathon by running a marathon .

if your doing the essex20 maybe we might cross paths (sounds like were both going for the LSR strategy)

hopefully Angela the 4 went well this morning (bit chilly round here) im doing mine tonight!

DS2 hows the training going??

19/02/2013 at 11:41

Jason - I would love to be training at that intensity but those days are long behind me, I'm more a rocking back and forth sobbing in a darkened room type of guy these days. I like to use words like "targeted" and "focused" about my training it sounds better than "clapped out" and "past it"  

What is your target pace for Essex20? 

Angela - The Colchester half is quite up and down isn't it? The first mile or two is all downhill and then you are faced with north hill. I do two miles up and down Balkerne hill occassionally, I highly reccommend it if you feel like you hate yourself!! 

I don't know if you have seen the Bournemouth course but that is mainly quite flat but downhill, if that makes sense, so I'm hoping to record a decent time there. Where abouts in Colchester do you run?

19/02/2013 at 11:50

hi oirish,

Your only 41 you've still got something to bring to the table  i admire anyone who can just get out the door and run, instead of sofa time eating crap!!

target pace for me is anything in the region of 9m/m but if you fancy running with? i can go slower or faster , ive got plenty of people running it in my club so just to finish is a bonus (and the T-shirt). plus im using some gels on it aswell to see if i can manage them!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.