Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

261 to 280 of 788 messages
26/02/2013 at 16:32

Lol, I love how north hill is ur nemesis- have you ever run it? its actually not very long... but it will slaughter all those runners who come flying down to it.

My logic re: shoes is flawless- I actually already train in 2 pairs, alternating-though I did use the slightly older ones for the long run.  Clearly you haven't seen any of the adidas boost marketing videos!!   Basically they say that the standard foam used in all trainers at the moment, EVA, is affected by temperature- gettng harder when cold, and gloopy when too warm= both situations not ideal, whereas boost uses a new material which isn't affected by temperature... so therefore offers both cushioning and responsiveness etc etc... all in all, the marketing got to me and I want some...

26/02/2013 at 17:28

Goldilocks would of loved them..... not too hot and not too cold but just right 

I think coping with the first mile or two is key in the HM I envisage a fair few taking off like hares at the start as it slopes down and North hill will knock a few people out of their stride too. I have run it once or twice early in my training, it can't be much different to Balkerne Hill, they start and stop at similar heights

26/02/2013 at 19:32
Hehe, indeed, yes, they're released tomorrow- perhaps I should treat myself... Where's the runners world store? I really wish there was a decent running shop in Colchester... Perhaps we should lobby sweatshop to open one up- soo many empty shops in the town centre now!
26/02/2013 at 21:37

Runnersworld is on Peartree industrial estate on Stanway, just up the road from the Fiveways Co-op. There are so few sports shops in Colchester now.....it's saving me a fortune 

26/02/2013 at 22:37
I had no idea... Still, a bit of a venture for me...
27/02/2013 at 08:15

I only discovered it a month or so ago. It's on Peartree road on the first industrial estate on the right coming from straight road. I'm really into cycling too and there are a couple of top end bike shops there too.

I like to drool over the 4 grand bikes from time to time. 

27/02/2013 at 08:19
Ooo, sounds like a good place to visit! I like a pootle on the bike too- did a triathlon last year, so great excuse to buy a road bike... Now I'm doing London to Surrey 100 eek!
27/02/2013 at 09:12

Some of the kit they have there are things of beauty. I am cycling across Ireland in June; Dublin to Westport in two days.

I want to do an Olympic Duathlon at the start of next year if  I could swim I'd try a Triathlon but my swimming is truly awful and I don't enjoy it enough to want to improve. When is the London to Surrey?

27/02/2013 at 11:23

Another 7 mile tempo run done, all in all came out at 7:03 avg 8:15 min miles.

Jason - How is the foot?

27/02/2013 at 11:58

I thought, swimming wouldn't be that bad.  I lived in Australia for a year... I can do open water... I was wrong!  Maldon is not like the clear blue ocean in Oz!!

I was last out of the water, and even the olympic guys who set off 5 mins later caught up and overtook me  made it up in the bike and run legs though...  I wish they did a duathlon option at Maldon actually.  Woudl so do it again if I didn't have to get in the water, as the atmosphere was really nice after the race.

What are the distances in an olympic duathlon?

London-Surreey 100 is 4th August:  http://www.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/Prudential_RideLondon___Events/Prudential_RideLondon-Surrey_100.htm

27/02/2013 at 12:10

hi everyone sorry havent posted!

first off is the foot is fine and got the all clear from a very understanding doc! should heal in time and thinks it was caused by cold wet foot being rubbed from shoes! (crappy trail shoes )

went for a check up aswell as had an abnormal ECG last year so went and had that looked at aswell. Dont want to be keeling over at halstead now !

done 4 miles last night no problem and got training tonight with the club 

hope everyone is doing well. sounds like you bikers are getting on well hehe! i can bike fine but i just tend to run everywhere! plus got the bikes stolen a few weeks ago so the trusty foot power is ideal!!

As for swimming, im the bambi of the pool (cant really swim if im honest), i can dive down etc and probably save myself in the water, but doing a lengthy swim! no chance!!

27/02/2013 at 14:28

Angela - An Olympic Duathlon is 10/40/5k split run/bike/run. Kudos on the Tri, by the sounds of things me and Jason would be there swimming now still. Swimming schwimming I say.  

Jason - Good to hear you aren't abnormal in any way shape or form and have had the tests to prove it.  

27/02/2013 at 18:36
Really thought I was super human in some way though!! Oh well just plain normal will have to do

Duathlon sounds fun! Looks like I might give one of those a go next year

Just need to but a bike lol
27/02/2013 at 18:43
Hey hey,
Yes, duathlon sounds immensely more doable, however after my one multi sport event I do find that I'm asking what's the point of mixing- why not do a running race, or a bike race?? Maybe I'm a purist- it was a nice experience but u can't beat a good run!!!
On that note I'm sitting on the train home- was thinking I'd go for a run tonight as the leg feels better but I'm gonna give it an extra day of rest- I fear running when only just healed will prolong it, wheras an extra rest day might mean I can do my 17 on Monday...
27/02/2013 at 20:22

Angela - Another night off won't do any harm. Better safe than sorry. 

Jason - Yep a bike would be good they get very anal about that sort of thing in the rules

I think without one you are just doing  a Thon.

27/02/2013 at 22:19
Night off even less likely to do harm since I didn't spend it supping g&t s in front of the tele like i did last night... Instead my mum brought over home made apple pie! D'oh not much of a running diet!
4 miles easy tomorrow and looking forward to hopefully not breaking
Well done on ur tempo oirish eyes.
Jason, did u manage to get a run in?
28/02/2013 at 08:24

Morning everyone,

managed 6.09 miles last night with the club.

2mile warm up, stupidly hard inteval sessions down a local industrail estate! (sprint, rest, sprint, rest). then another 2 miles cool down.

felt brilliant after though .

easy 4 tonight, might be missed as im very busy  should of got up this morning but was shattered. cant see no harm in making friday easy!

saying that, i might make it two days rest then go out extra easy saturday then doing the Essex20 sunday!

thoughts?

28/02/2013 at 09:30

Hi all

Jason - What's the plan are you doing the Essex 20 as an LSR or doing some at MP? It's good to see  that your worries from earlier in the week are behind you and an excellent session last night. Personally I'd rest, easy rest, Essex20 over the next 4 days but either or is going to work so whatever suits your schedule really, no point trying to shoehorn it in.

Angela - Gin? Yuk,yuk,yuk,yuk,yuk.  Homemade apple pie on the other hand made by your Mum's fair hand sounds awesome. I don't know about anyone else but it does amuse me how obsessed people on some of these forums get about their diet, screw that!!! 

I am by nature a fairly healthy eater but in no way fanatical about it. I'm not a big chocolate or junk food fan but will always be in reaching distance of a snickers, I use them on runs quite regularly and  have never said no to a portion of fish and chips. 

Traditionally my pre race breakfast is the leftovers of my mum's legendary meatballs and spahgetti from the night before. It is superb on every level. 

Today is an easy 6 and rest tomorrow. 

28/02/2013 at 09:40

oirish, well......i WAS going for a LSR but now ive decided to use it as a 'see how i can cope' run, im aiming for 8mm so pretty much the faster end of MP 

saying that then the rest days seem obvious ! feeling a little tired today so the rest will be greatly recieved!

Angela im a sucker for pear cider  i dont drink very often, because even 1 makes me a bit merry .

im with you though on the diet oirish my diets good but not super healthy, i allow some 'bad' stuff from time to time!

might have to adopt the left over spagetti for my next race though. does it help?

28/02/2013 at 10:23

Hey hey,

Diet... hmmm, I would say that I'm a naturally healthy eater- I like real food, that I made from ingredients... meat and vegetables, not pre-processed horse.  My major downfall, however, is wine... and then with wine, cheese.  Problem being that in the quantities I was having them gave very little nutritional benefit.  My fiance is a sugar fiend and doesn't exercise nearly as much as me, so if we do eat something like fish and chips, unfortunately it shows on him, so I am trying really hard to limit those treat type things to 0-5% of diet rather than about 20%.

I gave up alcohol for January, and I found it naturally lead to a much healthier diet, and a brilliant month of training, so whilst I'm no longer cold turkey, I do notice the effects of eating better and not drinking.  And we barely have any cheese in the house now.  (It used to be a selection of gorgonzola, camembert, cheddar and brie, pretty much on tap the whole time.  Now I just have some cheddar about usually to sprinkle on stufff or use in cooking.)

When I was a rower we used to do a 2 week drinking ban before races... that may have been because we were at university, and therefore the concept of 'just a glass' didn't really compute...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.