Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

321 to 340 of 788 messages
05/03/2013 at 18:06
Jealous that u got to play outside in the sun! I had an ice cream this afternoon!
So we've been chatting at running being expensive- I've been looking at cycling gear in prep for my 100 mile bike ride, and well ??100+ for a pair of shorts with a bit of foam in them seems excessive... Oirisheyes, please guide me in your genius to find some decent quality but inexpensive cycling shorts so I can survive the ride!
05/03/2013 at 18:20

Angela - Do these shorts have inbuilt motors in them? Jeez that's dear.

What is your budget? Is this going to be a regular thing? Or is this a one off? 

Don't be jealous I was a sweaty mess by the end of that session.

05/03/2013 at 18:39
Well I already have some men's cycle shorts that I got because they were cheap shortly after I got my shiny bike, but I think the waist digs in too much for 100 miles. Lets put it like this, I'd rather spend ??60 and not feel like I had to replace, than spend ??20 and end up with chaffing and blisters etc- I was looking on wiggle, but I have no brand familiarity when it comes to cycling...would rather go to a shop to try them.
I think I would probably do more cycling events- maybe a duathlon or two...
09/03/2013 at 12:06

hello everyone,

havent been posting for a while as been soooo busy. cars still dead but oh well!!

little running for me as i expected.

wednesdays session was my last and its XC 2moro  last of the season.

managed a new P.B on wednesday which is always good. 2.4 miles in 14.10 so very pleased with that. i think the pace was calculated at 5.54 m/m 

hope everyones good and injury free 

09/03/2013 at 19:34
Hey hey,
So the few days in Dublin meant a couple of runs on the treadmill. So glad to get outside today. Was planning to do 8 miles LSR, well not that long. But I was pretty bored, so I did a mile at marathon pace... Then, back to steady. Then decided to do a half marathon pace mile. It was a bit downhill so I started too fast, then thought what the hey, let's go as fast as I can! Weeeeeeeeeeee.
Managed a 7:50m/mile, and cooled down for the last mile.
Hope ur car gets better Janson.

How are u other folks?
10/03/2013 at 16:57
Hi Angela,

Glad to see you had a nice time away!

Had the last XC of the season today and man it was brutal! It was at Hadleigh country park and the hills were a killer. Got up this morning to some lovely snow, and the nice wind chill.

Got there with little time to spare and off we went. Felt brilliant for the race and eventually finished very strong and a respectable 37 very pleased with that.

Cars still very much a dead'en but will hopefully get it sorted this week
10/03/2013 at 17:03

Hi all,

A pretty good week all around topped off with twenty miles in the crappy weather this morning. I tried to chuck in some MP miles and didn't do too bad

Here are the splits:

1 @ 9:03

2-7 8:29, 8:43, 8:43, 8:39: 8:49 8:47

8-11 9:21(a flooded road, don't ask) 8:59 8:56 8:40

12-16 8:13 9:25(Gels and a breather) 8:49 8:49 8:52

17-19 8:34 8:25 8:30

20 9:25    So 20 miles @ 8:49 avg 

On a slight taper for the HM next sunday this coming week for me, how is everybody?

11/03/2013 at 11:45

Hey hey,

so no LSR for me yesterday.  Was feeling a bit groggy and the weather scared me, so I decided to treat my mum to home cooked lancashire hotpot, and myself to an extra rest day instead.  As Oirish says, taper for Half Mara this week, so would rather lean on the side of under training than over doing it this week.  Still feeling a bit lethargic today if I'm honest. I think the trip took it out of me a bit and I just need some duvet time.  

We'll see.

What's your goal time for the HM Oirish?  I'm going for sub 1.57, but my training suggests I could do better, so I'm going to use your assessment of the course to help my pacing.  Will go for 1L57 pace for the first 5 miles, and then try to speed up by 5-10s per mile for the next 5 miles and then do what i want (as long as its faster) for the last 3...

11/03/2013 at 12:00

Hi Angela,

I am aiming for 1:40 to 1:45 but as it isn't the be all and end all for me and just something I entered for fun I'll take it as it comes. I'll set off at 1:40 pace but not going to kill myself to acheive it.

I took in the route as part of my LSR yesterday so that was good especially as I did the hilly section at 15 miles and not two as I will next sunday. North hill PAH!!!! I think it'll be fairly fast alright. If you are on pace by the time you get off Ipswich rd then you should be totally fine with maintaining it or getting faster.

I'll do a little jog around Shrub end fields in a bit with the dogs as a recovery run, 2-3 miles and then a hill session tomorrow, MLR done slowly Wednesday and something light Friday.

Will I see you in Ipswich on Saturday?

11/03/2013 at 12:14

Yup, I'll be in Ipswich.  Are you volunteering or running?

Looks like I'll be eating your dust in the Colchester half...perhaps I should wear my boost and have chia seeds in my drink

13/03/2013 at 19:20

Hi all

Angela - Sorry I thought I had already replied to your post. I'll be volunteering although I'm contemplating jogging to the train station. So a bit of both really.

How is everyone? I did 7 miles in the snow yesterday morning which took a fair bit out of me so I rested today in preparation for a bit of speedwork tomorrow and after that it is all systems go for the Half Marathon Sunday

13/03/2013 at 20:01
Hi all, good to see training is going well for everyone. Hope those racing the Colchester Half have a good race.

Only 60 days until Halstead. First track session tonight of the campaign. Did 9 miles in total with 6 x 800m all between 3:07 and 3:13. Pretty happy. Felt great to run faster. This is my favourite stage of the training.

Feel like the months of endurance training is paying dividends and ready to get faster now.
13/03/2013 at 20:22
Hi Oirish, look forward to meeting u in real life on Saturday then- do u look like a leprechaun? This return to the cold weather is making me angry! And have been hectic at work so after bailing on Sundays run, today was my first run did 5 miles with some half marathon paced sections.
4 miles tomorrow, then the taper continues.

DS2, haven't heard from you in a while. 60 days! Exciting! I'm at that stage where speed is feeling easier so I'm starting to over estimate how fast I can race... It's a familiar feeling that usually results in my starting the race too fast, but I am older now, and hopefully wiser
14/03/2013 at 09:08

Angela - If I put any kind of hat on I do have a Gnomish quality about me!

This weather is unbelieveable when I ran Tuesday it was through a snow blizzard on hilly fields and 12 hours later it was all gone. I'm looking forward to running in reasonable conditions today

14/03/2013 at 16:31

Hi everyone, 

this weeks been o.k in the sense ive done some good running.

tuesday- 4 miles easy as per schedule

yesterday- Club session, which consisted of hill speed work, very tough as we,ve got a marathon runner who's training for sub 3 so he's super quick at the moment. trying to keep up with his pace was fun .

still managed a quality session and was totally exhausted when on the cool down. 7ish miles (GPS lost signal weirdly) with the first and last 2 warm-up/cool down.

sounds like you two are rearing to go on sunday. good luck if i dont post from now until then.

wish i could come watch and cheer you both on! whats the target?? 1:30 

14/03/2013 at 19:23

Jason. 1:30? If I am not in the pub for midday opening I'll be very disappointed

14/03/2013 at 20:30
So I had the standard terrible last run before race, legs just felt heavy and slow so gave up at 2.5 miles...
15/03/2013 at 11:28

I hink it is a vital component of all training plans for your last pre race run to be a shambles. The worse the better in my book. 

A few things to keep you chipper

1) Better before rather than during your race

2) Your tapering so haven't missed much

3) You were probably a little tense because you wanted it to go so well rather than just doing and see how it goes as you would normally

4) You'll rest, put it to bed and be determined and noncomplacent sunday when you gallop around Colchester like the thoroughbred you are (note I avoided the word mare )

In summary IT'S ALL GOOOOD

15/03/2013 at 12:33

@Oirish, if you're not in the pub for midday, something went very wrong! isnt the race start at 9?

Thanks for encouragement, I of course know that the terrible run was inevitable 

So I'm in charge of Numbers tomorrow... I feel particularly qualified, as I know how to count!

Do you know your role??

15/03/2013 at 14:56

No not yet. I'm glad I'm not doing the numbers, there are more than 20 runners and I want to keep my socks on

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.