Halstead marathon

Am I being stupid.

21 to 40 of 788 messages
11/12/2012 at 20:41
Hi Teresa, brilliant on the result. Glad you got to see what Essex has to offer
Much of the reviews have mentioned the hills!

Really feeling guilty tonight as I missed my run too much going on at work!

Didn't go pub either

O well ill just have to go flat out in training 2moro! I think it's hill training on the schedule if I'm correct : D

Now to have some Chinese
11/12/2012 at 21:03

This is still my PB race and in my opinion one of the best around... would do next year but am doing VLM and not prepared to do 2 in 2 months.

11/12/2012 at 21:07
Teresa - great result. Lovely event isn't it. I've done last two years and doing it this year as well - unless I get voted in for the Asics target 26.2.

HI RFJ. When did you run your PB there?
11/12/2012 at 21:41
RFJ- that sounds promising if its PB potential.

Obviously mine will be a PB due to beinng the first

David- your getting through won't that be a waste of money if you cancel?
12/12/2012 at 09:26

morning all on this bitter morning again!! holding cold tools is not fun in this weather 

running tonight (i promise ) always enjoy my club training sessions as we allways push each other. 

12/12/2012 at 09:43

Jason - I'll probably run both even if Halstead is more of a LSR. That way I can run to enjoy it.

It is not really hilly but you need to be well prepared and then it is reasonably fast. Good luck tonight! I went out for 5.5 miles this morning and it was minus 6! Mind you it warmed up and was only minus 5 by the end!!!

Have you voted?

12/12/2012 at 10:36

david- wow good on you if you can manage both !

i always thought about getting up at the crack of dawn and running but its so inconvenient for me! definately warming up then !

probably be around 5 miles tonight ending in a nice 1-2 mile slow 'cool down' should really think about getting a GPS watch to accurately track my mileage!

yes certainly have voted  

12/12/2012 at 10:58

Not sure I can!!! But I'll give it a go!

I ran for years without a Garmin but feel like somethings missing when I run without it now. Problem is that you can spend so much time looking at your watch you forget to enjoy the scenery!

12/12/2012 at 21:36
Back from running in the cold!!

Didn't go as planned due to weather being un-predictable. Nice turn out as it goes!

Ran 7.5 miles including some hills at effort, averaged around 7-8mm all in all a good nights training

Got bit of a niggle in the groin that I wasn't expecting started after Sundays LSR! Thought it would have gone by now but hasn't, didn't hinder me too much but felt it around the 6mile mark.
14/12/2012 at 11:16
Nice easy run tonight! Possibly later than expected as busy again!

Looks like a 5-6 mile easy 8/9mm to Finish the week off ready for Sundays MESSY XC.

If anyone's about on Sunday and fancys a must do XC then go to stebbing, you will never forget this one
14/12/2012 at 11:41

Hi Jason

Looks like you are training very well at the moment. I'm meant to be out for an easy run at lunchtime after a hard interval session yesterday but it is, absolutely, throwing it down here in bexley at the moment so I might hang on until later. Got a couple of steady runs planned for the weekend.

I didn't get selected for Paris so will be giving my all at Halstead!!!

14/12/2012 at 12:18

unlucky david i did see the final five, good luck to them and will be following all their progress.

im in a bit of a rut at the moment i dont know what to do for the new years marathon training. some advise would be good 

im currently at 4 days a week training after work (working 8-5:30 sometimes 6). so dont get out until say half 6/7. Not the most demanding job (im a car mechanic) but on my feet for atleast 8 hours in the day.

my question is....shall i start later running after eating, or early running before work before breakfast? i dabbled with the idea of early running but that means more showering, which seems like a waste of water in my opinion!

also its absolutely chucking it here in sunny great dunmow (essex)

would be nice to meet you at halstead aswell

14/12/2012 at 12:26

Hi guys,

just thought I'd join this thread as I too have entered the Halstead marathon. Jason, I see you run for GFDR and have been doing x/country racing? I run for Mid Essex Casuals and am really looking forward to your clubs race this coming Sunday at Stebbing.

14/12/2012 at 13:34

Welcome to our little thread, Leighton!

Have you run the Halstead marathon before?

Jason - I used to run quite late in the evenings years ago at about 9 at night but it was hard to switch off afterwards. I think if I was you I'd think about straight after work before dinner. Might be worth having a snack mid-afternoon on that basis.

It's quite a difficult time of year. Once you get into the New Year and you can see the marathon on the horizon you'll find it easier to get out there. It's worth looking at the RW schedules when they come out. Your times are promising. What are you aiming to do the marathon in?

14/12/2012 at 14:38

hello leighton pull up a chair as they say,

have you run halstead before?

yes ive been a member for 3 months now and havent looked back since. yes been in 3 XC races so far and loved how fun they are. really enjoyed little baddow even if it was a bit brutal.

good luck on sunday its going to be my first and ive seen the pictures and it looks VERY messy

14/12/2012 at 14:44

david- i thought the same with running that late especially if im running a few miles!

stick with the after work schedule then i thinks 

i guess just keep with the running for now and see what comes out of the new year and gradually build up the miles per week.

i dont have a time as yet...well i do but its sub 4 but i think nearer the time and continued training i should get a respectable time

just to finish would be fantastic tho as it is my first

14/12/2012 at 14:47

I think that sub 4 is more than acheivable if you are running 10 miles in 71 minutes!!!

When I did my first marathon I had run 71 minutes and then trained for 3 months for the marathon and ran 3:09!!! Aim high and set your training accordingly. Build up gradually but keep some quality. How old are you again?

14/12/2012 at 16:26

How do you all cope with icy roads ?  I'm a real coward as far as black ice is concerned and don't go off road in case I twist an ankle etc and mobile reception here is useless.

14/12/2012 at 16:42

thanks thats really encouraging i also think im faster than that already  as the training is improving me all the time.

isnt it the endurance that can get to most people? speeds irrelevant (ive heard)

yes its going to be a fun journey  im 23, 24 next month.

14/12/2012 at 17:10

Hi teresa its a touchy subject for me. i personally dont take the risk with ice.

there is other ways keep the fitness up.

some say just 'man up' and run but they obviously dont take it seriously and dont care if they break an ankle or injure themselves.

off road i have run when its been frozen, and let me tell you its very hard, and hurts the ankles (all personal accounts) but when you get on the flat mud/grass its fine.

21 to 40 of 788 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.